disability benefits

tmapj

Nov 16, 2005
hi im new to alberta and disabled. i wanted to know what the disability benefits are (how much they give you) in alberta if anyone knows please reply. thanks

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
I have a cousin in Alberta who receives disability benefits. I think he said it was around $900.00 a month.

You should really contact the officials on this matter though.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
Klein ravaged the benefits in Alberta, showing Harris the way to do the same in Ontario. It's now $970 a month in Ontario. Far below poverty level.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
"Far below poverty level."

I think it is supposed to be an income supplement.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
Re: RE: disability benefits

Jay said:

Answer - and where are the disabled supposed to get their main income from? Only so many can sell pencils in front of Woolworths. Or do you subscribe to the Harris philosophy (they should get off their lazy asses and stop being disabled).

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
Disability payments are not meant to be an income supplement,not in Ontario,at any rate.
Any monies earned by the recipient are immediately clawed back by the province.
It's a disgracefully low amount of money...and while there may be help from social agencies for costs like wheelchairs,walkers,etc., that amount barely covers rent,let alone food,clothing,etc.

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Re: RE: disability benefits

PoisonPete2 said:
Jay said:

Answer - and where are the disabled supposed to get their main income from? Only so many can sell pencils in front of Woolworths. Or do you subscribe to the Harris philosophy (they should get off their lazy asses and stop being disabled).

I will let my cousin know you think he sells pencils in front of Woolworths.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
You'd have trouble living on $970 a month in small-town Saskatchewan, where things are cheap. How the hell is anybody, especially somebody with special needs, supposed to live on that in Alberta or Ontario?

tmapj

Nov 16, 2005
i was told by ontario disability services (where i live now) that the benifets are different for every province. For a couple with one disabled person, they said you could get 1550 per month total (650 for rent, 900 for living expenses). Does anyone know how i could find out for sure how much you could get in alberta? Ive tried searching on google but cant find anything for contacting alberta disability services.

tmapj

Nov 16, 2005
i was told by ontario disability services (where i live now) that the benifets are different for every province. For a couple with one disabled person, they said you could get 1550 per month total (650 for rent, 900 for living expenses). Does anyone know how i could find out for sure how much you could get in alberta? Ive tried searching on google but cant find anything for contacting alberta disability services.

tmapj

Nov 16, 2005
sorry did i mention my disability is psychiatric?
im having a really hard time finding the information on that site. would you be able to narrow my search a little
thanks

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
Assured Income for the Severely Handicapped (AISH) provides financial and health benefits for adult Albertans with a permanent disability that severely impairs their ability to earn a living. The level of benefits depends on income and assets. The maximum living allowance is $950 per month and additional benefits (personal income support benefits) may be provided to meet clients' special needs.

http://www.seniors.gov.ab.ca/aish/

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
"About 33,000 Albertans receive AISH: about 32 percent because of mental illness, 23 percent because of developmental disabilities, and 45 percent have various physical disabilities."

Remember, there is also the CPP disability program

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
?
You say you're moving to Alberta...from where? If you don't know what the CPP is, you probably don't qualify. If you've worked in Canada for somehting like out of the last 8 years or whatever, you've paid CPP (Canada Pension Plan) contributions, and one of the things this offers is disability benefits....but only if you've paid in.

tmapj

Nov 16, 2005
thanks no i havent been working in canada ive been living in usa and became disabled recently. im immigrating to canada soon because i have married a canadian woman. does anyone know what the benefits are for a married couple in alberta? i know in ontario its 650 for rent and 900 for living expenses
thanks

Jay

Executive Branch Member
Jan 7, 2005
Is there anyone from Alberta left on this site?

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
tmapj said:
thanks no i havent been working in canada ive been living in usa and became disabled recently. im immigrating to canada soon because i have married a canadian woman. does anyone know what the benefits are for a married couple in alberta? i know in ontario its 650 for rent and 900 for living expenses
thanks

Answer - hopefully this case would get very careful scrutiny by Immigration Canada. As a sponsored immigrant, the wife should be required to prove the ability to provide full economic assistance for a period of 5 years. There are fair laws that should be applied fairly. Canada should go all out to support refugees. Marrying a Canadian is not a free pass into Canada. I know of a few cases where the immigrating spouse was denied entry and spent years in appeal.