Dina Pugliese says a heartfelt goodbye to Breakfast Televsion

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Dina Pugliese says a heartfelt goodbye to Breakfast Televsion
'All of this still feels so surreal because I was always riddled with self-doubt'

Author of the article:Mark Daniell
Published Feb 24, 2023 • Last updated 1 day ago • 3 minute read

Fans of Breakfast Television bid farewell to Dina Pugliese, who signed off as co-host on the morning program on Friday.

Pugliese said she wanted to “be a light for people” during her final broadcast. “There is still plenty of good in this world, and that good is you,” she said, fighting back tears. “The reason why I love this show and woke up with a smile and a purpose is I always looked forward to sharing a laugh with you … Laughter is the best medicine.”

“I want to have fun,” Pugliese said during the episode, which featured tributes from her colleagues, including Sid Seixeiro, Devo Brown and Tammie Sutherland. “Please tell me we’re just going to have fun today.”

In her final message, Pugliese said she was entering her 20th year on television and celebrating her 17th year with Citytv.

“It was 2003 when I started,” she said. “All of this still feels so surreal because I was always riddled with self-doubt and my own worst critic my entire life. I was always getting in my own way and I never would have allowed myself to dream all of this.”

Pugliese name-checked several Citytv legends, including the late Mark Dailey, Jojo Chintoh and Monika Deol, and thanked her family and friends for believing in her.

“I grew up watching MuchMusic, Electric Circus, Spearker’s Corner, City News, City Line and, of course, this legacy show BT,” she continued before listing off her achievements, which included hugging King Charles.

“I wasn’t supposed to do that, but I did,” she joked. “I was pinching myself every step of the way and continue to do that to this day.”

Pugliese — who also was an associate producer on Global’s The Bynon Show and a host of Toronto Today; The A-List; Star! Daily; MuchMusic VJ Search; and Canada’s Got Talent — got emotional as she thanked her former Breakfast Television co-anchor Kevin Frankish, who exited the show in 2018, and her husband, Alex.

“I owe so much of the last 16 years to Kevin Frankish,” Pugliese said. “I would not be here if not for an eight-page letter he wrote convincing me to take on this show. Just like my family and friends before him, he saw something in me that I never saw in myself. Kev said this was the job for me and that taking it would make my life change for the better. Kev, you were so right and I am forever grateful.”

She went on to tell viewers at home that she loved them from “the bottom of my heart” and thanked them for “putting up with my cheesy puns.”

Pugliese announced her departure from the Citytv show earlier this month, telling viewers that the rigors of filming on the early-morning broadcast had “taken a mental and physical toll.”

“I have decided it is my time to step down and leave the show,” Pugliese said on the Feb. 15 broadcast. “I’ll tell you, this didn’t happen overnight. This has been a feeling I’ve had for a while now.”

Pugliese said she planned to spend more time with family and devote more time to her clean beauty line, The Care Principle.

During the broadcast, Vaughan Mayor Steven Del Duca presented Pugliese with the key to the city for her “outstanding contribution” to the television industry.

“In recognition of her outstanding contribution to the Canadian television industry as co-host of the award-winning morning show Breakfast Television, it is my absolute pleasure to give the Key to the City of Vaughan to Dina Pugliese,” Del Duca said.

On social media, fans paid tribute to Pugliese with the hashtag #WeLoveYouDina a top trending search on Twitter.

“Be yourself,” Pugliese said when she had any advice for viewers. “Be grateful for the opportunities that come your way. This industry can be so cutthroat.”

But she also alluded to Internet trolls as she urged people “to be good to one another.”

“I think that’s so important … it’s so easy to type stuff out on a computer, but we’re all going through the same ups and downs. Just think about that … I want the world to be a better place.”

mdaniell@postmedia.com

harrylee

Man of Memes
Mar 22, 2019
Ontario
She was a good host. I figure she bailed before she got too old and they canned her for someone younger.