Death

Finder

House Member
Dec 18, 2005
Toronto
www.mytimenow.net
mmmm cheese burgers. I don't know it's like my favorite food, and yeah I'm not fat, I'm fit enough, but I know I'm shortening my life by having too many. They are soooo tasty.

Good has a horrible sence of humour. He made everything which taste so good to us so bad for us and everything so good for us taste like...... well, the worst things you can taste!!!

CHEESE BURGERS! mmmmmmmm

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Hi Jersay ,This is China. Good topic,Let me say few words.
Why are people afraid of dying ? perhaps its a big "unknown".I 'm sure that if they were convinced that they will have their friends with them ,pets ,their favour girl friend ,bar, pool table ,car. ,after they die I don't think they would be afraid of the unknown.Said1 states " fear what I do not know, I fear what i can't control. There is a difference .".
Why "control" anything? Control implies a lack of understanding of the "thing " you are trying to control . If there was an understanding , there wouldn't be a need of any control .There would be a relationship love and understanding.Parents who control their children ...do they understand them? It is a duty of a parent to love ,protect and teach their children , not to control them . Did the liberal PM's of Canada (since 1968 ) understand the people ,no they controled or tried to control the people until the western canada had enough of them and formed their own party .(Reform)Wy do people want to control their lifes ,perhaps the dont know themselfs.You can't die unless you are born ,and you cant be born unless you die.

PS. I live in China for past 4+ ys and what I long for is a cheeseburger ,but not from a fast food outlet ,no. from a truck stop ,you know ,the greasy kind , and the french fries with a thick gravy , eat and don't die.I think the Chinese food is too healthy.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: Death

china said:
Said1 states " fear what I do not know, I fear what i can't control. There is a difference .".Why "control" anything? Control implies a lack of understanding of the "thing " you are trying to control . If there was an understanding , there wouldn't be a need of any control .There would be a relationship love and understanding.]

That isn't what I said. I understand death perfectly fine too.

china

Time Out
Jul 30, 2006
Ottawa ,Canada
Said1 states "That isn't what I said. I understand death perfectly fine too." ...Said 1 ,This is China , Please forgive me, I know that you didn,t say that , I know I only have grade 10 but I,m not stupid .Obviously understanding death perfectly which you do (perfectly meaning 100% )means You Are Dead. So the real question is ...who said it , and why ? Spooky , ain't it?

Daz_Hockey

Council Member
Nov 21, 2005
"Death is just another state of mind.....or lack of it"

I think, to be perfectly honest, the world continued fine for millions of years without me and it will continue perfectly dandy when I'm gone.

I think the modern interpretation of Jesus's "there is no heaven or hell, there is only here and now" is about right and that's why it's always best to make the most of life, for example, I have a condition that (past 20 years ago) would surely have killed me by the end of my first year, but thanks to medical science (and a hell of a lot of surgery) I'm still alive and kicking, I don't prescribe to the theory that death is now following me wherever I go, simply because I agree with the above, life and death are here and now and the only way to have a full life or death is to make the best of it in whatever way you can.

I think it was Aristotle who said that the definition of a full life is not one accomplished goal, but a series of many smaller goals with one all important end result, and that these vary from person to person.

Just remember, life, death, they are inter-twined, one cannot happen without the other and it's just a case of making each as memerable as the other.

that's my 50 cents.

Gonzo

Electoral Member
Dec 5, 2004
Was Victoria, now Ottawa
Everyone dies. Everyone you know someday will die.
If you hold your arms out and let that represent how long the earth has been around, a shaving of your finger nail will represent how long human beings have been on the planet. And one human life is a fraction of that!
We are made up of water molecules that have been on this planet since the dawn of time. All the water that's on this planet is all that will ever be. So molecules that are in you may have been a part of another person or animal. Then we you die those molecules might become someone else, or animal or plant. Such is life.

cortex

Electoral Member
Aug 3, 2006
hopelessly entagled
As a materialist--in the philosophical sense not the economic---there is one argument that is sometimes posited by those who believe in the existence of a soul that I ---despite my materialist-molecular view --much as you have stated ---cannot refute

it is this---the actual molecules that make up our bodies are of course constantly being lost and replaced ---so much so that all the molecules that make up our bodies --including our nervous systems---are completely different every 7 years. Right now no one of us has ANY atom or molecule in our bodies that was present 7 years ago---so how can we --as conscious identities persist----

is there a soul then---

a mystery