Critical illness insurance

Magalie05

Jan 13, 2021
Hello everyone ! My name is Magalie and i'm from France ;). With my husband and our 2 young kids, we're going to live in Montréal for at least 1 year. We are really happy to start a new life together and discover this wonderful country.
We are starting to do all the paperwork that we have to do before leaving. However, we are facing a little problem and that's why i need your help and advice. So, my husband has a rather serious illness. For his well being, we need to have a "critical illness insurance". I made my own researches about critical illness insurance in Quebec and i found this website which is quite well written and sums up important things (i know it's in french but it shouldn't be a problem for you, Quebecers :LOL:.) Nevertheless, i wanted to have some real advice from people who have this type of insurance in Quebec or Canada in general. I really want to have an insurance that covers hospitalization fees; drug coverage and wage coverage in case my husband can't work for a couple of days.
So, which insurance do you advise me? Is the cost of this type of insurance high?

Thank you so much for your precious help and i'm sorry if i made any english mistake,
Magalie

Last edited by a moderator:

Danbones

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 23, 2015
Hello everyone ! My name is Magalie and i'm from France ;). With my husband and our 2 young kids, we're going to live in Montréal for at least 1 year. We are really happy to start a new life together and discover this wonderful country.
Don't worry about the English mistakes, the language is made out of them...
:)
...all I know is: the free health care here ( I live in a frenglish part of Ontario, which doesn't really matter to the topic at hand ) can be pretty bad - you get what you pay for I guess.

Last edited by a moderator:

Magalie05

Jan 13, 2021
Don't worry about the English mistakes, the language is made out of them...
:)
...all I know is: the free health care here ( I live in a frenglish part of Ontario, which doesn't really matter to the topic at hand ) can be pretty bad - you get what you pay for I guess.
All right thank you for your answer ;)

no color

Electoral Member
May 20, 2007
1967 World's Fair
(i know it's in french but it shouldn't be a problem for you, Quebecers :LOL:.)
Don’t assume that everyone in Quebec speaks French. Quebec is not France. We have English and French schools and institutions of higher learning. Montreal is mixed (English / French), and many of us residing in Montreal who were schooled entirely in English speak no French, myself included.

Last edited:
Reactions: DaSleeper

SekyroCred

Time Out
Sep 22, 2022
I think you should first calculate the money you will spend to move and insure your husband. Has he received insurance in the past?

SekyroCred

Time Out
Sep 22, 2022
I think you should first calculate the money you will spend to move and insure your husband. Has he received insurance in the past?
My friends had a similar situation when they moved. They had a financial planning consultation before that. It helped them to have insurance to cover themselves. If you need this kind of planning, you can go here www.moneyunder30.com. After that, you should learn more about the insurance companies rules in the country you want to move to. I wish you the best of luck.