CP24 Breakfast's Lagogianes signs off after 36 years in broadcasting

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
CP24 Breakfast's Lagogianes signs off after 36 years in broadcasting
Author of the article:Jane Stevenson
Published Dec 29, 2022 • 2 minute read

“Don’t make waves, ride them.”

That was CP24 Breakfast co-host George Lagogianes “little nugget of advice” after his final show Thursday morning, bringing an end to his 36-year-old broadcasting career.

“It’s really easy to find problems in life and in work, but try and ride that wave instead of making them,” he added.

Lagogianes announced earlier this month he was calling it quits after working at six different networks, noting “the last and best 15 here at CP24.”

Among those who paid their respects at the time were Toronto Mayor John Tory and Barenaked Ladies singer-guitarist Ed Robertson.

On his final show on Thursday morning, Lagogianes said: “I’m a guy that got really lucky in this business. I kind of stumbled into it. It wasn’t really my plan. I got a degree because it was short term and broadcasting — I thought it was cool. But plans were maybe for science or law or something else. And boy, am I ever glad that it worked out this way. Thirty-six years has gone by in a blur.”

Lagogianes’ first job was as a personal assistant with CTV Sports at the Calgary Winter Olympics in 1988 before he was a co-host on Electric Circus and a VJ on MuchMusic from 1989-1995.

He then moved to CityTV in Toronto as a camera operator and live-eye videographer before assuming various broadcasting roles with CBC then returning to CityTV as an anchor-entertainment reporter.

He also hosted Bravo News, Arts & Minds and Live @ The Rehearsal Hall before joining CP24 in 2007 covering Rob Ford as mayor and the G20 protests in Toronto in 2010 before becoming part of CP24 Breakfast n 2018.

“Happy Retirement. Good luck. No more early mornings!! Your shoes will be hard to fill,” wrote Debbie Lee-Pearson on Facebook.

Added Sharon Sewers on Facebook: “Congratulations George. I will miss seeing you every morning. I still remember your beautiful singing voice.”

“Such an amazing interviewer and really ‘nice’ guy who I will miss seeing on CP24,” wrote Diane Guest on Facebook.