Copper Roman horse brooch found in Lincolnshire field

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
A small brooch made when the Romans ruled Britain around 1,800 years ago has been discovered in a Lincolnshire field.

The copper-alloy horse figurine was found near the village of Leasingham by amateur metal detectorist Jason Price.

The 48-year-old found the item under eight inches of soil in a heavily ploughed field during a 'Detecting for Veterans' charity event in the summer of last year...

'Spectacular' 1,800-year-old Roman horse brooch made from copper is found in a Lincolnshire field by an amateur metal detectorist

The 0.8 ounce brooch was found in a ploughed field just outside Leasingham
It was found by Armed Forces veteran Jason Price, 48, using his metal detector
There is believed to be just one other item like it which is in the British Museum

By JOE PINKSTONE FOR MAILONLINE
4 March 2020

A small brooch made when the Romans ruled Britain around 1,800 years ago has been discovered in a Lincolnshire field.

The copper-alloy horse figurine was found near the village of Leasingham by amateur metal detectorist Jason Price.

The 48-year-old found the item under eight inches of soil in a heavily ploughed field during a 'Detecting for Veterans' charity event in the summer of last year.

The copper-alloy horse figurine was found in a field near the village of Leasingham by amateur metal detectorist Jason Price, 48, and weighs 0.8oz (23.18g)

The two-inch long brooch (5cm) was made between 200AD - 410AD and still has the pin attached.

Mr Price, an armed forces veteran himself, attended the dig last year when he found the broach, weighing 0.8 of an ounce (23.18g).

Mr Price said: 'It was the last field of the weekend and it was heavily ploughed – so I didn't hold out much hope of finding anything.

'You can imagine my surprise when my detector started buzzing. About eight inches down I found something caked in mud.

'At first I thought it was a piece of litter, but as I cleaned it off, my jaw dropped open. There it was – a horse brooch. I was shaking.

'I've found things like coins before, but never anything like this. Absolutely amazing!'

The two-inch long brooch (5cm) still has the pin attached and will be on display later this year at the Collection Museum in Lincoln

The 48-year-old veteran found the item under eight inches of soil in a heavily ploughed field during a 'Detecting for Veterans' charity event in summer last year

The brooch found in Leasingham has been sent out on a permanent loan by Mr Price to reside at the Collection Museum in Lincoln.It is thought to be extremely rare, with only one similar item known to experts, which is found in the British Museum

The brooch has been sent out on a permanent loan by Mr Price to reside at the Collection Museum in Lincoln.

It is thought to be extremely rare, with only one similar item known to experts, which is found in the British Museum.

Dr Lisa Brundle, the Finds Liaison Officer (FLO) at Lincolnshire County Council, said: 'This brooch is an exciting and rare discovery.

'It depicts a fairly realistic horse with an outstanding level of detail and is in remarkable condition – it even has the pin still attached!

'The horse would have originally appeared gold-like and the recesses probably once contained bright red, blue or yellow enamel.

'It would have been a spectacular sight on someone's robe. This type of Roman horse brooch is incredibly rare in Britain – and is the second only to have been found in the UK.

'The only other one is in the British Museum and is decorated differently - with spots of enamel only.

'The Leasingham horse, however, is in a league of its own with its pin situated below the legs and the realistic depiction of a saddle.'

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/science...er-Roman-horse-brooch-Lincolnshire-field.html