City CleanUp Week

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
After a few years of budget restraints,the city has brought back the ever popular annual CleanUp Week,where we get to toss out all the junk we've been amassing that we can no longer use. Unfortunately,they didn't hire any extra staff to handle the overflow of trash,and most of the stuff is still at the curbsides awaiting pickup. The most interesting item I've seen put out this week is an upright piano! And I am somewhat ashamed that none of the scavengers have even bothered to look through my meager leavings :?

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now
The spring cleanup is now happening on Pei now too. This is where you get to see the fourth economic factor of Island life...It's not the fisheries, the potatos, or Anne. It's the flea marketers. This is the time of year when the reclusive flea marketer emerges from his/her den and converges on all of the spring cleaning piles alonside the road to acquire anything that is repairable.

These are people who make a living here doing nothing but selling stuff at the flea markets, or yard sales here...and I'm sure if you've been to the island before in the summer you will notice yard sales every 5-6 houses you pass.

My neighbour was one, he was a bit of an eccentric loner but boy he could fix anything you could send his way, especially electronics. We called him "clutterman" because his house was full of junk in several stages of being fixed or waiting to be fixed.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
We have yard sales from now till the snow comes again,the big cleanup should improve the quality of the items put out for our perousal..it will be hard to beat the upright piano and the full stereo component set though.