Challenge books.

snfu73

disturber of the peace
[SIZE=-1]Canada's Freedom to Read week has passed, but Banned Books week is still to come in the US. I thought this was interesting....the most challenged books of the young 21st century in the US....[/SIZE]

[SIZE=-1]Number 9????? Really???? Ah well.
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]In anticipation of the 25th anniversary of Banned Books Week (September 23-30, 2006), the American Library Association (ALA) compiled the top 10 most challenged books from 2000-2005, with the Harry Potter series of books leading the pack. The 10 most challenged books of the 21st Century (2000-2005) are:[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]1. Harry Potter series by J.K. Rowling[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]2. "The Chocolate War" by Robert Cormier[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]3. Alice series by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]4. "Of Mice and Men" by John Steinbeck[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]5. "I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings" by Maya Angelou[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]6. "Fallen Angels" by Walter Dean Myers[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]7. "It's Perfectly Normal" by Robie Harris[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]8. Scary Stories series by Alvin Schwartz[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]9. Captain Underpants series by Dav Pilkey[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]10. "Forever" by Judy Blume[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]All but three of these books also were in the top 10 of the most challenged books of the 1990s. The ALA reports there were more than 3,000 attempts to remove books from schools and public libraries between 2000 and 2005. Challenges are defined as formal, written complaints filed with a library or school requesting that materials be removed because of content or appropriateness. See also Challenged and Banned Books. See also Harry Potter tops list of most challenged books of 21st Century.[/SIZE]

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
#4. Of Mice and Men? I read that in high school. What is going on? Who is trying to ban that. Must be some people that are religious. Free thinking people have nothing to fear from that book. What damage has it done in the, I don't know, 60 or 80 years it has been in print. My faith in humanity has taken a hit seeing that list. I think we should ban book banners. ****!

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
AHHHHH crud...the title was supposed to say CHALLENGED books....but I missed the D, and now it has a completely different meaning...son of a gun!

There's no doubt about the subject matter my freind. Maybe a mod would edit that for you if you asked real nice?:wave: