Cell phone and SIM card quetsions

jackofspade

Jun 3, 2007
Hello! I would like to get a cell phone. But got some questions as I never had a cell phone before.

I would like to get a used cell phone. But as I understand, there are some conflicts going on with different companies.

So, if I get a:

1) Cell phone from Rogers, and it is locked to Rogers, would I need a SIM card for Rogers too?

2) Cell phone from Rogers, and it is unlocked, would I still need a SIM card for Rogers? Or would I need a SIM card to the company I plan to sign up for?

Basically, does the party that provided the cell phone, the company locked to, and the SIM card have to match? If not, what has to match?

Does it cost anything to activate the SIM card?

A cell phone without a SIM card would not be able to use its functions. But what about a cell phone with an unactivated SIM card? Would I be able to still use the cell phone functions (minus the calling) if I put in an unactivated SIM card?

If I decided to get a used SIM card, is that bad? Does it contain personal information of the seller, etc.?

I know I have a lot of questions, but I am new at this.

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
1. Yes
2. No, you could get a SIM card for any company using GSM technology if the phone is unlocked.
3. SIM cards cost $25, and there is usually a $25 activation fee and a requirement to sign up for a committment. There is also pay-as-you-go, which you can get as well. Keep in mind if you sign up for one and later change your mind, you'll need a new SIM card.
4. A phone without a SIM card can only call 911, and sometimes not even that. An unactivated SIM card does nothing as well, as it has to be registered with the company in order to have any function.
5. Never get a used SIM; they're useless. Not only do they have personal information linked to the company with them, but it also carries over their cell number, which is a waste of time. Just get a new one at any cell phone store and get them to activate it for you there; I did a million of them for people just like that at The Source.