Catholic Parents Angry At Admitting Sons Gay Couple

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Catholic school angers some parents, parishioners by admitting gay couple's sons

Associated Press
11:00 a.m. January 2, 2005

COSTA MESA – Some parents and parishioners have accused the Roman Catholic diocese in Orange County of violating church doctrine by allowing a gay couple to enroll their children in a church school. The group demanded that St. John the Baptist School in Costa Mesa accept only families that pledge to abide by Catholic teachings, the Los Angeles Times reported in Sunday's editions. Church doctrine opposes gay relationships and adoption by same-sex couples.

"The teachings of the church seem to have been abandoned," John R. Nixon told the Times. "We send our children to a Catholic school because we expect and demand that the teachings of our church will be adhered to." School officials rejected the demand, and issued a new policy stating that a family's background "does not constitute an absolute obstacle to enrollment in the school."

The parents' demand would presumably prevent two adopted boys whose parents are both men from attending the school's kindergarten.

The Rev. Gerald M. Horan, superintendent of diocese schools, said that if Catholic beliefs were strictly adhered to, then children whose parents divorced, used birth control or married outside the church would also have to be banned.

"This is the quagmire that the parents' position represents," he said. "It's a slippery slope to go down." The boys' parents, who enrolled their children at the beginning of the school year, declined to comment to the Times. Some parents have promised to ask the Vatican to intervene and some have threatened to pull their children from the school. Others are worried the boys' attendance will set a precedent, saying their presence is part of a larger effort by the gay community to change the church. "The boys are being used as pawns by these men to further their agenda," said Monica Sii, who has four children at the school.
source: SignOnSanDiego

:roll: The paragraph in bold shows the hypocrisy of it all. What if a proposal like this one was done by the Church authority? How many parents would agree?

Pycrete

Jan 4, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Unfortunately I think a lot of religious parents would have a problem with this. Do i find it surprising... not at all, dogmatic rejection of anything that even smacks of difference seems to be the trend for some members of some religions. I don't say all by any means, just some. Its unfortunate, but its in the US so there isn't much more i can do about it besides bitch on public forums. Public Canadian forums. Here i am mostly preaching to the converted... and thats nice. I was surprised that the school itself didn't have a problem with admitting this kid, but i guess it just goes to show that everything isn't as bad as i made it out to be... now why does this ring bells about an incident involving a gay couple who weren't allowed to attend a catholic school prom... was that in Canada?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Catholic Parents Angr

That was in Toronto, I believe. A mark of shame on the Catholic Church. Priests can abuse alter boys with seeming impunity but no boy/boy dancing.

Jesus Christ. ;-)

Pycrete

Jan 4, 2005
Ontario, Canada
Amen brotha
At least both incidents caused a big stink for the church, although last time i checked (from a knowledgeable and trustworthy source, but don't quote me on this) at least one of the choir masters involved in that whole sordid affair is still a choir master, the church just shuffled him around out of the public eye. Apparently hes really good so they didn't want to loose him.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Religion is state sanctioned brainwashing and all the so "called churches" ought to be ashamed of them selves especially the Catholic church that does not let their priests do what is natural. Marry women and procreate. But dildo-ing boys is ok.

Gabre34

Jan 3, 2005
United States
Just send the damn kid in public school and get it over with.

Im tired of people always whining about stuff.

Banned from Catholic School---- Send kid to public school.

Took me 7 seconds to figure it all out. Ain't rocket science.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
So instead of fighting this inequality you think the best way of solving this problem is by forcing the "victims" to adjust instead of the "perpetrators"? What if the kid was black (or his/her parent(s)) and white parents said to the school 'we don't want black kids here at our school'? Do you think the best solution would have been to send the black kid to another school? What if the kid (or his/her parents) had been a Canadian, and some American parents said 'we don't want Canadians here'? I don't see any moral ground on which the parents of these children can object to the admittance of sons of a gay couple to the school.