'Canadians will fall in love' with new governor general

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
Re: RE: 'Canadians will fall

no1important said:
"From this day forward, I pledge my loyalty and allegiance to Canada and Her Majesty Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada. I promise to respect our country's rights and freedoms, to uphold our democratic values, to faithfully observe our laws and fulfill my duties and obligations as a Canadian citizen."

Yes, my husband had to say thoe words when he became a Canadian citizen. He is a dual Canadian/American citizen now. I'm just a plain old regular Canadian. :D

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
The Canadian Oath of Allegiance, in its present form, is:

I, _____________, do swear (declare) that I will be faithful and bear true allegiance to Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth the Second, Queen of Canada, Her Heirs and Successors.

So help me God.

A person may choose to replace the word "swear" with "declare" and to omit the phrase "So help me God."

The oath (or declaration) is usually used only upon induction into the military or assumption of elected office, along with other specific oaths of office. A modified version, with the added phrase "and I will obey the laws of Canada and fufill my duties as a Canadian citizen" is used as Canada's oath of citizenship .

This oath I took when I enlisted into the military, and although I don't remember being given the choice, neither do I remember qualifying the oath with the "So help me God" drivel.

I think I have a certificate somewhere that states I took an oath of allegiance, but I'm not sure if the actual wording of the oath is on it...and it would be far too much bother to try to find it now, if it still exists...

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: 'Canadians will fall

no1important said:
I remember having to do that when I worked for liquor store. I did not swear to gawd though. Funny they never took "heirs" part out like citizenship. But citizen ship has no "god" to say.

Never mind I found the link. Public Service Oath

LOL!! The LCBO. What the "feck" is that all aboot, eh? :lol:

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
Re: RE: 'Canadians will fall in love' with new governor gene

Said1 said:
Oops, look at me, assuming Ontario is the center of the universe. Well it is actually. :D

Hey now...stop tooting your provinces horn....Ontario isn't even the center of the country! PEI is more important...birthplace of confederation and all 8)

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: 'Canadians will fall

LOL!! The LCBO. What the "feck" is that all aboot, eh?

In BC the Liquor stores (except the priviate beer stores, but they sell liquor now too) are government run so you are a provincial public servent and have to swear the oath, actually I just signed a piece of paper to that fact. That was back in 1986 and I just worked for 3 months for the summer.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Jo Canadian said:
:? I've never had to pledge anything to the Queen, but then again I was born here.

I am curious though...Does anyone know the actual wording the Canadian pledge to Ye Olde Queen is?

There must be someone here that had to go through that pomp and circumstance.

Funny, here in Louisiana, we start the day with the pledge en français along with the Star Spangled Banner & O Canada (tout en français) on the local Radio Station and then get our news (en français) de Montreal!

That's kind of cool. I didn't know that. Louisiana seems to have a Worldly attitude and sense of community. Too bad most of North America isn't as open.

That would be great! Louisiana is a "HEAVY" Republican state. I surely would not object to living there.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now