Canadian Stadiums

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I loved Empire Stadium. Had season tickets to the Lions in 1976 (Passaglia's first year).

wulfie68

Council Member
Mar 29, 2009
Calgary, AB
Looks pretty cool. Although it'd suck if it rained - or snowed! 8O

You just need to dress for the weather. I remember being there in November for Eskimo play off games and as long as you dressed appropriately, the cold doesn't bother you, especially packed in with the body heat of a couple thousand other people. A little hot chocolate/tea/coffee never hurts either :)

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
I vividly remember those late October games at Taylor Field (Mosaic). My Dad and I would dress up in 'skidoo' suits, mittens, scarves, and toques. He would have his 'doctored' tea in his thermos and I had hot chocolate in mine.

There were games when the wind blown snow would completely obscure the field at times and I remember wondering how the players on the field could bear the biting cold.

Wulfie68 is right. Dress appropriately, drink hot liquids, and the excitement shared with a crowd of cheering fans gets you through the roughest weather.

But then, that's just my opinion. ;-)

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Saskatchewan's Proposed Domed Stadium

Calgary Herald

Proposed domed stadium requires serious debate

By Christopher Adams, The Leader-Post November 21, 2009

Rider Pride aside, many people in Saskatchewan, and particularly Regina citizens, are seeking a more balanced public discussion about the desirability and probability of building a domed stadium.

There are certainly legitimate reasons to explore the costs and opportunities of a dome, but a greater degree of objectivity and pragmatism is required for citizens to make an informed decision.

The oft-quoted $350-million estimate cost for the project will undoubtedly be much lower than the real capital costs of such a project, particularly two to four years into the future. The provincial government has just announced the second-largest summary budget deficit in the history of the province, deferring hundreds of millions of dollars in capital spending, including important commitments for education and health facilities. The City of Regina continues to face very significant infrastructure challenges as evidenced by the province's plans for a $200-million transportation bypass on the city's south and west sides.

This is but one the city's strategic challenges and does not begin to address significant inner-city housing, recycling/waste disposal, and school renewal issues. While everyone in the province is thrilled and excited about the Saskatchewan Roughriders' recent financial and team success, this success -- including the incredible growth in retail sales -- has occurred without a dome or a new stadium.

And though the recent commitment of $10 million over 15 years by the Regina Hotel Association is a symbolic gesture from hoteliers, even the Canadian Taxpayers' Federation characterized the commitment as only one of many private-sector commitments needed to signal truly broad partnership in meeting the project's costs.

Perhaps most striking in this debate are underlying questions about priorities and who will benefit from a new stadium. If you watched a Canadian Football League game this year, you may have noticed that the CFL in partnership with Purolator focused their community support on "tackling hunger" and supporting local food banks.

Food Banks of Saskatchewan executive director Bill Hall noted on Nov. 18 that in Saskatchewan 44 per cent of food bank clientele are children and that the need continues to grow. Regina's strategic priorities need to build prosperity and growth, but be shared more widely than the roof of a dome.

Christopher Adams, Regina.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/football/calgary-stampeders/Proposed+domed+stadium+requires+serious+debate/2249769/story.html

I happen to agree completely with Christopher Adams. With the huge deficit now facing Brad Wall and funding low for higher priority items, a domed stadium is simply out of the question. Not mentioned here but also a cause for concern is the fact that Saskatoon has a domed center that is struggling to fill its own seats, what will happen to it should a new covered stadium be built in Regina? Saskatchewan does not have the population to support both and thus the idea of a domed stadium should be put to rest, at least for now.

I love the Riders. Would I like to see them have a dome of their own? Sure I would but not at the expense of much needed funding and improvements in other areas.

When provincial finances improve, or should a billionaire come forward with the necessary funds, a stadium along the lines of Commonwealth in Edmonton would be worth consideration.

But then, that's just my opinion. ;-)