Canadian Sovereignty

vista

Electoral Member
Mar 28, 2004
www.newsgateway.ca
In the news last week were reports of the Canadian military conducting an excerise in the arctic to demonstrate that we can control and defend our northern border.

Well...

A couple of soldiers were left stranded overnight. Our frigate wasn't appropriate for the cold climate. The military planes were grounded while commercial aircraft flew. Some soldiers had to hitch a ride with recreational civilian water craft.

I was in my hotel room as I watched the story on the CBC. I wanted to bow my head in shame.

After this, I didn't think twice about it. Until I read this New York Times article...

Canada Reinforces Its Disputed Claims in the Resource Rich Arctic

The show of force, coupled with efforts to win over local people, showed how far the Canadian military was willing to go to familiarize itself with an increasingly valued region where it seldom operated while strengthening Canada's claim to it.

The $4 million exercise is the most prominent sign to date of Canada's intensifying effort to reinforce disputed claims over tens of thousands of miles of Arctic channels and tundra.

Once nearly permanently frozen, forbidding and forgotten, the region is today seen by officials from Canada and competing nations as a potential source of both wealth and trouble.

Not all of Canada's vast claims to the Arctic are recognized internationally. The United States, the European Union and Denmark either contend that the region's waterways are open to all or have placed their own claims on parts where climate change is expected to increase access to the region's bountiful resources in coming years.

Diamond finds have already inspired a new mining rush, making Canada the world's third largest producer. Canada wants someday to tap natural gas in the Beaufort Sea in a frigid zone, bordering Alaska and Yukon Territory, which the United States tried to auction off to oil companies last year. The companies balked, preferring not to get mixed up in an international squabble. http://www.nytimes.com/2004/08/29/i...a.html?ex=1094730800&ei=1&en=3d8fb83b6ea69be7

Hmmm...

Richard Heinberg mentions Canada when discussing resource wars in his book Powerdown. At this stage there is nothing to fear but at some point in the future, Heinberg warns Canada that the world will be very different and the U.S. desparate.

If not offered would the U.S. come and take any remaining oil and gas?

Frankly it may not be necessary to take it. Afterall, Canada has ceded control over our NG resources. There is no legal way for Canada to ensure that we will have adequate supplies of NG in the future. Yet, the US still retains the right to store vast supplies of hyrodcarbons for emergencies.

Trade agreements have established a system of "proportional sharing" which guarantees US imports from Canada in perpetuity, hence by law, we are required to replenish the US reserve supply.

Were we hoodwinked? Are we a puppet regime?

The third resource I have been following is Fresh Water. The depletion of this will spell disaster for many countries in the coming decades - including the U.S. where aquifiers are not being replenshed at the rate of extraction.

So. In an effort to safeguard these resources for our fellow citizens, would it be wise to be pro-active and join the U.S. as 12 new states (provinces plus the territories - or whatever they are called now).

Would it be advantageous to be part of the immediate family than a cousin one has to put up with every so often?

Could a strong Ontario or Alberta state government work within the system to ensure the best deal for it's citizens?

Right now the attitude is "every province for themselves." Cooperation between provinces for the betterment of Canada is nil.

So in that respect, we really are not working to build a Canada of the strong and free anyway, so let's fold our cards now and negotiate for the best deal.

Considering the embarrassment of last week in the far north, we have no hope of defending our country yet we have resources the big bear wants.

On one hand, I think these thoughts have merit... I bow my head in shame.

bogie

Electoral Member
Jun 21, 2002
Barrie, ON Canada
maltesefalcon.bogart.com
Well, it also boils down to financial resources. We simply do not have a big enough purse to develop extreme cold weather military operations. As far as "defending" the far north goes, it is the least of our worries. Our forces don't have enough warm weather gear, let alone gear to battle the extreme cold.

We are a big countrry with few people, therefore a very small tax base to cover such a large expanse.

For those who want to demand our forces be properly equipped to handle it - how much do you want you taxes to rise, again?

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
No folding the tents allowed. We can be out of NAFTA in six months if we so choose and you've a great job of saying why we should choose just that, Vista.

As for resource wars...they've already started. What is Iraq, after all? A war for oil.

Canada's best chance of avoiding such conflicts is not to move closer to any one foreign power, but to remain and become even more active in as many multi-lateral institutions as possible while widening our trading base.

Nobody, not even the United States, is willing to go to war with as disparate a group of nations as those that consider Canada to be their friend. We are slowly giving that up and when it is gone, then we will be in real trouble.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Reverend why don't you just run for office! I will vote for you! I myself have already started a petition in my neighbourhood about just this matter, last week! It will make some good ass wipe for a politician. That why I made sure I used really cheap paper. Hey but you gotta do something, even its not much. Its going well I already have over 200 signatures. Those who don't know the issue I just say sign or else. They know me, so they sign :lol:

This is very upsetting to me, Nunavut, its meaning not lost on me either "our land" The spiritual magnitude of the inuit achievement is astounding to me. They assumed command of their own desitiny, they made adjustments to a western way of governing, but on their own terms, with pride, confidence, dignity and hope. Now they have all the all the greedy bastards in the world looking at them and shouting "ulvaguk!" eskimo translation "ours". But is not only the people of the north who will suffer, but so will the land. Shame on us Canada. I would like to call my petition "get your shit together" but I already know that whats it going to be used for so I will have to come up with something else...maybe undergrandnitz could help there.