Canadian Music

joellewoodruff

Jun 4, 2004
Toronto
Canadian Music has been getting better and better over the last few years. How do you guys think it compares to the United States still and who are some of your favorite Canadian artists?

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Like Avril Lavigne? bah!
Alanis Morrisette? bah!

I'm so into foreign music from Europe, so I ignore so much of North America's popular artists. We have some gems though!

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
I'm more into Québec artist... Éric Lapointe, Natasha Saint-Pier, Stéphanie Lapointe (This years Star Académie Winner), Dany Bédard, Anny Carrier (New révelation).... So many others.

ponygurl

Nominee Member
Jun 3, 2004
Ottawa
Anyone have the Lyrics to Charlie Major's song
"having the time of our lives"? Or is that even the name of it?

joellewoodruff

Jun 4, 2004
Toronto
Yeah I agree Avril and Alanis do suck, but what about Billy Talent, or the Salads. I mean it's an embarassment to have Canadian bands like Nickleback but I think we're starting to get some new pretty good talent!

Prometheus

Electoral Member
Jul 12, 2003
Eastern USA
As an old American, my all time favorite Canadian band would have to be Rush. It was actually a shock to me when I learned they were Canadian, for no reason other than the fact that I was a young, arrogant American.
I know Rush is hit and miss for a lot of people, and some may even be saying "Who?"
But "Caress of Steel" became a must have album for me and my friends in our early teens, and I still have it on album, cd and MP3 to this day.

Admittedly I don't follow Canadian Music, but I think kittie is great and getting better, and I recently heard a band called Sloan, different but a lot of fun to listen to.

Prometheus

Electoral Member
Jul 12, 2003
Eastern USA
On that note, where is a good place to check out Canadian music? Not what American's consider Canadian Music, but what Canadians do.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
My favorites? The quality of my life would be considerably diminished were it not for the music of Kate & Anna McGariggle, Bruce Cockburn, and Andre Marchand.

Numure

Council Member
Apr 30, 2004
Montréal, Québec
EternalSunshine said:
I like Diana Krall, and amongst Quebec musicians I really like Dan Bigras.

Ohh yea he is good.

3 p'tit cochon qui s'en allaient... Did you see a show he hosted with artist from here, but that singed musique from accross the globe? That was pretty nice.

Diamond Sun

Council Member
Jun 11, 2004
Within arms reach of the new baby..
Prometheus said:
On that note, where is a good place to check out Canadian music? Not what American's consider Canadian Music, but what Canadians do.

Check out www.maplemusic.com They have access to all sorts of Canadian music. Most of it's wonderful.

A couple of my favourite canadian musicians right now are folk singers. Bruce Guthro out of Atlantic canada and James Keeleghan from Winnipeg. Both are amazing storytellers.