Canadian laws regarding contests?

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Does anyone know what the laws are or where they are found that pertain to running contests with awards? Contests with no entry fee or purchase required..is special licensing required or can anyone do something up to a certain dollar value amount without getting into much red tape?

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net
Does anyone know what the laws are or where they are found that pertain to running contests with awards? Contests with no entry fee or purchase required..is special licensing required or can anyone do something up to a certain dollar value amount without getting into much red tape?

Hi Kreskin,

I believe lottery licenses are the jurisdiction of the municipality, so check if your city has a form for a lottery license and it should explain what the dollar amount/prize value restrictions are.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
In my case it would be a fun contest through the internet and would include as many Provinces or even States as possible. It wouldn't be localized to my community, and the webhosting is serviced in Vancouver (though I don't live there).

DurkaDurka

Internet Lawyer
Mar 15, 2006
Toronto
In my case it would be a fun contest through the internet and would include as many Provinces or even States as possible. It wouldn't be localized to my community, and the webhosting is serviced in Vancouver (though I don't live there).

You should be good except for Quebec, ever read the details on contests regarding Quebec?

shadowshiv

Dark Overlord
May 29, 2007
Sounds pretty neat if you end up being able to do it. Just remember that I will end up winning the prize no matter what and it will all end up well for everyone.;-):lol::p