Canadian Idol Fans Watching American Idol

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008

Let the games begin!!!

I already like Idol better with Harry C.

JLo is still annoying.

Keith is still neutral.

We have been here since Season 8. Just sayin.

This is going to be a lot of fun. Harry is funny, I think I like his musical taste, it doesn't seem like a judge is hearing something different from me for a change.

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
I agree about Harry. For once, they've actually found a judge who is truly refreshing. Pretty much every time he said no to a contestant tonight, I thought he was right. JLo and Keith were too nice. Still, my very favorite thing was that there was no Randy Jackson on the panel!!!! At one point, I was wondering why nobody was annoyingly and loudly screaming "You're going to Hollywood" after a contestant was put through... Randy was not there!!!

I guess my favorites tonight were mostly boys with guitars. Surprising, right? (no) And that guy singing Superstition with his "air-guitar". I didn't really like any of the girls, maybe just one of the girls who had a guitar. I have to say, I did read the spoilers about the top 31, just so I don't spend time thinking about contestants who don't make it. I guess two or three that I enjoyed made it and two or three didn't.

Also? There was a refreshingly low number of sob stories. Yay.

Last edited:

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
Yay to the lack of sob stories!!

And Yay! to the lack of Randy!! Unfortunately he will soon be back on the show, though not as a judge which I guess is the biggest blessing of all time. Yeah, you're right, it was refreshing not to have to listen to the shouting.

Some people were obviously good but I guess no one personally excited me or got me interested in them. Superstation guy was very good and two of the guitar guys were good, I think the first one and the last one - but gee, in all three cases their styles were not anything I hadn't heard before. It's great to have a voice, but to have a personal style that's so unique people just have to hear it again - that, I didn't really hear yet. The women were not that interesting, and Harry calling the tone of one of them "harsh" was on the money. Sorry that Keith and JLo failed to notice, because I noticed.

Which reminds me. Last night Harry mildly criticized them for loving a clichéd style of singing, then he tried to use some musical terms that went over their heads. She interrupted and wouldn't let him finish. It reminded me of her two previous seasons and the annoying tendency she has of trying to dominate everything. Interrupting and talking over people when either she doesn't like what they're saying, or is not bright enough to understand. And worse, I think she feels she's talking for us. Anyhow, he came back later and finished what he was trying to say. I learned a little something about music I didn't know. The show didn't seem as dumbed down as usual, and JLo didn't seem to be in charge as usual.

Keith is nice but his personality on camera, as a judge, isn't as dynamic or fun as he is in person, performing.

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
Nothing really to say about tonight's episode. Harry continued to be funny and interesting. I think I prefered last night's contestants to tonight's, no one really stood out. I wanted to like Spencer Lloyd (the pretty boy) more than I did because he was seriously adorable, but his vocals were not great. And gah, Christian music, such a turn-off.

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
I missed most of the episode, I work on Thursdays, didn't record it. I guess I missed the pretty boy. The guy with the fedora seemed kinda interesting.

Just want to add - there's some judging going on! Been saying for 3 years that a competition show needs some serious judging to be entertaining. It helps that the judges are having fun and that HCJ is witty, but it helps more that he's able to judge. Maybe it'll rub off on the other two superstars.

JLo is already annoying me greatly with her tendency to call contestants she's never even met "baby" and "sweetie". Her eyes are as cold as ice, though.

Anyhow I think the more serious about the singing and the judging the judges are, deadly serious if need be, the better a show like this is. I think we still have too many judges who want to be liked.

And yeah, I'm being a hardass. lol

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
Mexican talent show hopeful shot and killed
WENN.com
First posted: Monday, January 20, 2014 05:08 PM EST | Updated: Monday, January 20, 2014 05:28 PM EST
A contestant on the most recent season of TV talent show La Voz Mexico has been killed.
Gibran Martiz, 22, was kidnapped from his home in Veracruz on January 7, and his body was found over the weekend following a police shootout in Huatusco.
The business student was a big hit on La Voz Mexico's third season and was mentored by Wisin y Yandel on the show.
The duo paid tribute to the young hopeful after learning of his death on Monday, tweeting, "Our most heartfelt condolences to the family, friends and fans of Gibran. May God keep you in his glory.”
Gibran Martiz (Handout)

Gibran Marquez - Me enamore de ti - Los Knockouts Nocauts - La Voz Mexico 3 - 17 Noviembre 2013 - YouTube
Mexican talent show hopeful shot and killed | Celebrities | Entertainment | Toronto Sun

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
It's sad about that Mexican singer...

I'm starting to be concerned about Idol. Not that the show is not enjoyable, it very much is, we're seeing a lot of great people, almost no joke auditions and sob stories. And Harry is funny. But the spoilers are worrying me. We've seen several of the contestants on that list so far and most of them are either really youg, really meh, or both. Mostly both. I'm not sure why they keep on pushing the 15-16 year olds who don't have any experience or any idea who they are as an artist. They almost all end up crumbling under the pressure of Idol and their lack of musical knowledge. There were lots of young ones last year, but the top 2 still ended up being two women in their twenties who had a pretty good idea of what they were doing there. Anyway, maybe it'll make more sense when we get to the Hollywood rounds, that's when it starts being interesting.

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
BTW, today I bought a ticket to go see Phillip Phillips play live. He's doing a Canadian tour in March. I've heard good things about his live show so I decided to go. I was expecting a somewhat intimate show, but he'll actually be playing a big venue, more than 3,000 seats! I had no clue he had that kind of popularity here. Even in Québec City, he's playing a pretty big theater. Anyway, I can't believe I'll see P2 play live before I've even see Kris live. He'll have to come to Montréal one day, right?

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
I agree with you about age, guess we'll have to wait and see. The two youngest male winners are P2 and Scotty, so you may have a point because I strongly dislike both of them! But anyway I hope you'll let us know what Phillip's show is like. :) Yeah, that's a big venue, and I think Scotty recently played in Ontario in a similar sized venue. The thing is, they've marketed these winners like stars since the beginning, and I think they have had the promotion behind them and the money, from the start. Both have had smooth journeys post-idol, no downs, just ups. Scotty even goes to college full time and plays shows on the weekends.

I don't know about Kris playing Montreal. That'd be great, and I'm sure you'd like his show. I'm going to see him next month. By contrast to P2, most of the venues on his tour hold around 300 or 400.

Too bad about the spoilers - I so agree, I'm not into the kids that age, for various reasons...I was never happy they lowered the age limit in the first place.

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
LOL, you're already bailing on this season of Idol? I didn't comment, because I pretty much had the same thoughts about the show this week than I had last week. I did like a guy named Alex Preston, he might be one to watch. Hollywood week starts next week and it should already be more interesting.

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
I am actually pretty unexcited about the season. Somehow when I looked on MJsblog and saw that Randy was back as a mentor...well I already knew he would be, of course, but I had managed to put it out of my mind. Then I read that Randy had decided to enlist the help of a coupe of past Idol contestants to work with the newbies in the Hollywood rounds - Adam Lambert and Chris Daughtry. It just seems like the same old thinking prevails, the same people embraced by Idol...same favoritism...nothing really has changed.

I'll watch some more and see how it goes.

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
Okay this is an official #lazypost because I have nothing to say but I agreed so much with what Slezak said about JLo that I figured I'd post it here for anyone who's interested...

‘American Idol’ Recap: Season 13 Group Rounds — Briana Oakley, Jena Asciutto - TVLine

And since we were talking about P2 I have to mention that I listened to one of his live performances on MJs-blog that was part of a thread about his going darker with his next album. It was about 6 minutes 37 seconds and I lasted until 6 minutes 19 seconds. I know it was almost the end but I just couldn't take it and I think I actually suffered some kind of mild nervous breakdown or something. I was very nervous and upset from the sound of his voice. Well, this was it.

Get Up Get Down - Grand Rapids - Phillip Phillips - YouTube

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
‘X Factor’ cancelled
WENN.com
First posted: Friday, February 07, 2014 08:14 PM EST | Updated: Friday, February 07, 2014 08:25 PM EST
Simon Cowell's X Factor experiment in America has officially failed - the TV talent show has been axed by executives at TV network Fox.
The show will not be back for a fourth season later this year.
The news comes just hours after Cowell announced he would be returning to the U.K.'s version of The X Factor as a judge.
The music mogul quit the show three years ago to concentrate on making the format work in America. He also stepped down as a judge on American Idol to work solely on his new show.
Last month, Fox entertainment chief Kevin Reilly addressed the show's struggle to win an audience against rival shows like Idol and The Voice, stating, "The show underperformed this year. Simon himself would admit that. The ratings were not what we hoped."
He added, "If the show were to come back, it would not be in the current format we have."
America's X Factor launched with Antonio 'L.A.' Reid, Nicole Scherzinger and Paula Abdul as judges, alongside Cowell, in 2011. Demi Lovato and Britney Spears replaced Abdul and Scherzinger in the second season, and Kelly Rowland and Paulina Rubio stepped in for Spears and Reid for last year's third season.
Lovato recently announced she would not be back for a fourth season of the show.
Announcing the decision to end The X Factor on Friday, Reilly said, "Unfortunately, there is no X Factor USA without Simon Cowell, but we understand and support his decision to focus on the international formats and on the next phase of his personal life. We wish him the very best, and it’s our sincere hope that we work together again soon."
A statement from Cowell, who is set to become a first-time father later this year, reads: "I’ve had a fantastic time over the last 12 years, both on The X Factor and American Idol. And apart from being lucky enough to find some amazing talent on the shows, I have always had an incredible welcome from the American public (most of the time!)
“Last year, for a number of reasons, I had to make a decision to return to the U.K. version of The X Factor in 2014. So, for now, I’m back to the U.K. and I want to thank Fox for being an incredible partner and I also want to thank everybody who has supported my shows. America, I’ll see you soon!"
‘X Factor’ cancelled | TV | Entertainment | Toronto Sun

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
So I haven't been watching for a few episodes, have been a bit under the weather and also, I got bored. Yikes, I saw the spoiler pics of the Top 31 posted by Idols 360. They do look young. I don't get it. There were plenty of talented people who auditioned, who didn't seem to be in high school. That is a turn off for me. Not that young has to = boring or bad, it's just that I guess I prefer singers who have a little experience and/or maturity, maybe a personal style they've developed.

I saw Kris and his band perform Friday, he and they exceeded all my expectations musically and also it was a lot of fun, because of the way Kris relates to the audience and vice-versa. Very dynamic show, not a big venue, about 300, but sold out and a good audience. I didn't intend to stay afterwards but I got to my car and realized I forgot something, so when I went back people were waiting for him so I thought I might as well. Loved the 5 new songs he played and got to tell him. MJ was there and took video, quality is pretty good but everything sounds so much better live.

Doubt I will watch the show this week. I can't take Randy any more (maybe in the future his segments will be brief?). I like Daughtry and I like Adam, not especially as singers. I just saw the winner of the show the other night, who was quite awesome. Idol behaves as if he's invisible, this is nothing new but I don't have to go along with it.

Last edited:

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
I'm glad you got another great show with Kris! I'm jealous! I haven't had the time to watch MJ's videos yet, but I'll try to, though I do hate youtubes of live performances.

About Idol, I don't blame you for not watching. The top 30 contestants are very young. Last week, they cut some more interesting 20-somethings. Anyway, I'm not sure why they did a top 30, because only 20 of them will perform this week. Yup, they'll cut 10 of them before they even have the chance to sing again. Actually, I do know why they're doing that, it's for drama. Stupid drama.

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
I'm glad you got another great show with Kris! I'm jealous! I haven't had the time to watch MJ's videos yet, but I'll try to, though I do hate youtubes of live performances.

About Idol, I don't blame you for not watching. The top 30 contestants are very young. Last week, they cut some more interesting 20-somethings. Anyway, I'm not sure why they did a top 30, because only 20 of them will perform this week. Yup, they'll cut 10 of them before they even have the chance to sing again. Actually, I do know why they're doing that, it's for drama. Stupid drama.
Kris does keep getting more and more dynamic and musically more interesting, and he's back to a full band which sounds great, so, yeah. (Though Cale wasn't there last 2 days, and they did without lead guitar. His grandmother passed away; returning tonight.)

I don't think MJs videos sounded the best. I usually don't mind watching YouTubes of live stuff if it's all I've got. But in comparing hers to the live show, well, it's no comparision at all, sound-wise. Nothing is, but there are better sounding ones than hers out there. @krisallenlists does a twitter list, and usually includes videos, post-show. Some videos that get on there are better quality.

Wow, choosing a Top 30 then cutting ten before they even....yeah, that seems stupid. Annoying.

So this favoring of the younger contestants is to please younger viewers? To keep Idol a hot show? Because I would think that they'd want a mix of types and of ages. I guess it proves I'm old, but I don't really, as a rule, want to fan over teens. I guess there are always exceptions. But the choice of who we see on the season ought to at least seem to be based more on talent than anything else. Granted, looks play a part, but that's also true in the real-life music world, so it seems reasonable.

Last year, the push for a girl to win unbalanced the entertainment value of the whole season, for me. Now it seems like a push for a young contestant.

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
Well, now that the top 13 has been chosen, they don't seem so young anymore. Most are 20 and over, only 4 of them are under 20. I'm actually a bit more excited about this season now, there are 2 guys and 3 girls that I like, so 5 out of 13 is not too bad. I like Alex Preston (I think you would hate him though, lol), Sam Woolf (one of the young ones, but his voice is more mature than his age), MK Nobilette, Majesty Rose and Jena Irene. I mean, I'm not ready to buy their music just quite yet, but I think each of them has something interesting to offer. Next week's theme is "This is me", whatever than means, I guess it should allow them to choose from a variety of songs. Anyway, this year's top 13 is a HUGE improvement over last year's pathetic top 10. And so far, the judges are doing a good job, even JLo can be critical when it's warranted, and Harry doesn't mind at all being booed when he's critical. Actually, it could get tiring because he's usually being booed when he's giving very good constructive criticism, so the audience should just shut up.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
'American Idol' stars Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood at heart of royalties lawsuit against label
WENN.COM
First posted: Friday, February 21, 2014 01:11 PM EST | Updated: Friday, February 21, 2014 01:20 PM EST
American Idol alumni Kelly Clarkson and Carrie Uunderwood are at the centre of a lawsuit against Sony Music Entertainment bosses, alleging the record label executives owe them more than $10 million in royalties.

Bosses at 19 Recordings, the company founded by American Idol creator Simon Fuller, which oversees contestants' record deals, is claiming Sony Music executives have been shorting royalties on the talent show's artists, including two of its most successful singers, Clarkson and Underwood.

After initial settlement talks failed, 19 Recordings representatives filed the suit at a U.S. district court on Thursday, alleging "a wide array of underpayments by Sony, including systematically incorrect calculations, which resulted in significant underpayments".

19 bosses allege they are due compensation from digital streaming royalties, music videos, compilation albums and more, while Sony bosses insist this is not the case, and in some instances they actually overpaid the artists.

Along with Clarkson and Underwood, other alums including Chris Daughtry and Clay Aiken have been named as artists who have been shorted of the royalties.

19 bosses are asking for compensatory damages in excess of $7 million, and interest of at least $3 million.
'American Idol' stars Kelly Clarkson, Carrie Underwood at heart of royalties lawsuit against label | Music | Entertainment | Toronto Sun