Canadian Idol Fans Watching American Idol

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
Candice's standard last week was "You've Changed."

I'm pretty bored by the show at this point. I liked seeing Angie's hometown visit because I recognized stuff from Boston and Beverly.

I think you're right about Kree, missaddicted. Which mean the battle of the belters.

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
I meant to add: So, the Top 3 couldn't pick any of those songs they did? Or could they pick one? I tuned in late. I'd do the research but I'm getting lazy. :)

I don't particularly love any of these three girls but Candice sometimes does things I like and the other two usually don't, so I guess it's Candice for me. Tepid endorsement.

No question the deck-stacking made this season way less entertaining for me. The first season I watched, 8, seemed very manipulated, but ultimately the viewers were boss. This season, the producers may not get the winner they "really" want, either. But the main thing they wanted, they already got weeks ago.

I have no problem with a girl winner, ever. I have a problem with a girl winner who never had to compete against any really awesome (or at least, highly qualified) guys, though. Yeah.

Last edited:

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
Apparently, Jimmy's choice has been changed for Simon Fuller's choice for next week. I would've prefered it if they could've chosen their own songs, since I'm not sure how Simon Fuller is even involved in Idol anymore (is he still singing the winners?). Anyway, at least, it's not Jimmy's choice #2.

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
WOW! I'm shocked. And I'm not the only one, both Kree and the judges looked absolutely shocked that she stayed over Angie. Though the judges actually looked kind of thrilled! I'm glad though, I think I'll prefer watching Candice and Kree in the finale then I would've had watching Angie.

It kind of makes sense though. Has anybody from the North-East ever made it into the top 2? Also, the country vote is very powerful on this show. And I guess Kree did get some sympathy votes because of her homecoming package.

What makes me happier though is that the producers didn't get their way. They won't have their 18-year-old thin package girl winner. I know it's stupid, but it makes me happy that both Kree and Candice are more fully defined artists, that are not necessarily "commercial" at first glance. Not that I don't think they can't have success (though I'm not expecting super-stardom), but both these girls will have to produce good music to succeed and not just rely on their looks. Just the way it actually should be.

I felt for Angie though during her sing-out, she did want to win so much and she came so close, poor girl could barely sing. I guess she expected to be in the finale just as much as (almost) everyone.

Just saw this: Randy Jackson Quitting ‘American Idol’ at the End of Season 12 - TVLine YAAAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYYYYYYYY!!!!!!!!

Well, I guess it all depends who they'll replace him with...

Elder

Electoral Member
Jan 15, 2011
New Westminster, BC, CA
Not so shocked but still suprised.

Kree is very late bloomer but managed to come into her voice just in time.

Angie is a gifted musician though as a vocalist she was not always believable. She will make it in the industry anyhow. We will be seeing her.

So glad voters recognize Candace at last. She is the only competitor that has been consistent throughout the competition

Elder

Electoral Member
Jan 15, 2011
New Westminster, BC, CA
From the very first time I heard Candace sing she was the winner of American Idol. I do hope that America recognizes her consistent deliverance of top-quality singing. She is the best. The very best.

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
Thanks, Walter, for bringing that scoop over here.

Strangely enough, I didn't mind the judges this year (except for Randy, as usual). I really hated the previous two years with JLo and Steven Tyler. There was no judging at all, in my opinion. The constant praise and coddling was sickening and I thought JLo was as phony as they come. These four aren't great but at least they're lively, they're willing to be booed. I don't mind it if they feud, to be honest. Why do they have to love each other?

Angie...I wasn't so sure she was going to advance. I like her but it's hard for me to love her. She seems like a good kid but if I was coaching her I'd have toned her down sometimes. She proved she could "sing big," so it wasn't necessary to keep pouring it on all the time. The singers this season seem afraid to sing a whole song without raising their voices to glass-shattering levels. For example I thought Candice's rendition of a sensitive, tender ballad, "Somewhere," was super loud and bombastic for no particular reason. To me, she didn't really get to the heart of the song or allow us to think about the meaning.

I don't see a big, huge difference in the amount of talent Kree and Candice each have. It's distributed differently. They're both very solid performers and singers, neither of them, in my opinion, super exciting. Candice is more entertaining sometimes.

Elder

Electoral Member
Jan 15, 2011
New Westminster, BC, CA
{Quote}I don't see a big, huge difference in the amount of talent Kree and Candice each have. It's distributed differently. They're both very solid performers and singers, neither of them, in my opinion, super exciting. Candice is more entertaining sometimes.{Quote}

We must be watching different versions of AI for Kree has NOT been a strong presence or performer at all. She has just begun to come into it in the past few weeks.

There is a difference between being "loud" and highlighting on's ability to "project" sound. I do not think u sing or u would know of this.

missaddicted

House Member
Jan 16, 2009
In the Idol I've been watching, Kree has been pretty consistent. Her strength lies in the tone of her voice, but she's never been the most exciting performer. But even though she's not exciting, I'd say she's still strong, no need to run around the stage to be a good performer, in my opinion. She could work on her stage presence, absolutely, but I think she'll probably always be a low-key kind of performer.

Elder

Electoral Member
Jan 15, 2011
New Westminster, BC, CA
Perhapss it is Kree's style of music that has caused me to overlook her until last week. I do enjoy her quietness and thought that she is probably a sweet, steady personality not usually given over to high drama; I like that about her. I must admit that she has my attention now as her latest performance has greatly impressed me in the positive.

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
no need to run around the stage to be a good performer, in my opinion. She could work on her stage presence, absolutely, but I think she'll probably always be a low-key kind of performer.
I'm not sure stage presence can be worked on. If you just mean skills, yeah, then she can work on stage skills. But many people think stage presence, like talent, is innate. A gift you either have or you don't. I think she has talent, not sure if she has enough stage presence.

It's not about running around, at all, it's about whether she commands the stage. Quiet performers can command the stage. They can sit on a chair and sing (or even just talk), and they have the charisma or "stage presence" to be totally captivating. Kree seems light on this, but maybe it's just me. On the other hand, she made me like her, one way or another, so yeah, maybe she has more than I think.

There is a difference between being "loud" and highlighting one's ability to "project" sound. I do not think u sing or u would know of this.
Yes, I agree there's a difference. Though I think that highlighting one's ability to project sound will generally cause one to be loud.

When she has a song where it works, that's fine. It's similar to Adam when I felt he over-used his "wail" on almost every song. Song interpretation should be about finding the essence of a song and conveying it, as much as possible. This is only my opinion, of course. There's also a school that thinks a song is just something to sing so the audience can hear what you can do with your voice.

In my opinion, singing a song is storytelling and setting a mood, otherwise a singer could just go onstage and sing a lot of wordless notes to show ability to project, or show range, or whatever. Granted there are many ways of interpreting a song and it's okay for two people to differ on the ways they enjoy.

Last edited:

Elder

Electoral Member
Jan 15, 2011
New Westminster, BC, CA
I'm not sure stage presence can be worked on. If you just mean skills, yeah, then she can work on stage skills. But many people think stage presence, like talent, is innate. A gift you either have or you don't. I think she has talent, not sure if she has enough stage presence.

It's not about running around, at all, it's about whether she commands the stage. Quiet performers can command the stage. They can sit on a chair and sing (or even just talk), and they have the charisma or "stage presence" to be totally captivating. Kree seems light on this, but maybe it's just me. On the other hand, she made me like her, one way or another, so yeah, maybe she has more than I think.

Yes, I agree there's a difference. Though I think that highlighting one's ability to project sound will generally cause one to be loud.

When she has a song where it works, that's fine. It's similar to Adam when I felt he over-used his "wail" on almost every song. Song interpretation should be about finding the essence of a song and conveying it, as much as possible. This is only my opinion, of course. There's also a school that thinks a song is just something to sing so the audience can hear what you can do with your voice.

In my opinion, singing a song is storytelling and setting a mood, otherwise a singer could just go onstage and sing a lot of wordless notes to show ability to project, or show range, or whatever. Granted there are many ways of interpreting a song and it's okay for two people to differ on the ways they enjoy.
Of course we will have differing opinions fir a variety of valid reasons. Each person is individually unique including how we perceive the impact if sound. I do not relish noise especially since I preserved my hearing so I could sing in chorale groups and quartets and solo singing.

Your comment re Adam rings true. Out of all the incredible vocal gymnastics he preformed each week his quiet, sensitive rendition of "A Mad, Mad World" is the one tune that still plays in my head - all the rest is gone.

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
Of course we will have differing opinions fir a variety of valid reasons. Each person is individually unique including how we perceive the impact if sound. I do not relish noise especially since I preserved my hearing so I could sing in chorale groups and quartets and solo singing.

That sounds like a great way to spend your time, and a lot of fun. :)

ross 1

Senate Member
Dec 21, 2008
From The New York Times:

For Idol, A Mild Finale To A Bumpy Season

I never liked this writer; I put the article here because I was wondering if I'm getting what he says in the last two paragraphs.

What passed for musical controversy came a few weeks ago, when Harry Connick Jr., who’s been floated as a possible “Idol” judge in the past, mentored the final four contestants and was troubled by their tendency to oversing without isolating or emphasizing the meaning of a lyric. It’s an old debate, older then “Idol” itself, and it came off like blaming salmon for not reading up on commercial fishing practices before spawning.

I'm curious if this seems oddly phrased to anyone else. This writer often subtly twists stuff. When did HCJ say they oversang without isolating the meaning of a lyric (in a performance)? I don't even know what that means. I'd guess Harry wanted them to integrate the meaning of the lyric into the performance. As opposed to ignoring the fact that they're singing lyrics. In Amber's case he just wanted her to understand what she was singing. This is considered debatable? Or a "controversy"? Sorry, I don't get it.

Mr. Connick might want “Idol” to be even more old-fashioned than it’s become, but that’s no longer a viable option, and nowhere near an attractive one. Maybe the person with the most insight into the current state of “Idol” was Jennifer Lopez, a former judge who, in the final 15 minutes of Thursday night’s show, returned to deliver a dynamic performance of a ham-handed new song, and also appeared in an ad for Kohl’s. She’s moved on, back to her old careers, knowing full well that “Idol” was a rest stop, not the final destination.

So...HJC might want Idol to be "even more old fashioned than it's become", because he thinks singers should understand the lyrics?? Or they shouldn't oversing? And the writer thinks these are no longer "viable options" and are far from attractive?

I didn't get the comment about JLo either. Because she performed on the show, she's "maybe the person with the most insight into the current state of Idol"? How did she demonstrate insight?

As for Candice, I'm glad she won. I guess. I'm not a big fan, I'm not even sure I like her - not that I don't like her, I just don't know. I do think she ended up deserving it. I didn't really like all her performances, especially the early ones. But she grew on me with her musical choices.

As for the season - obviously, I didn't enjoy the lack of competitive guys. I seriously didn't enjoy that the producers and/or judges chose so many ballad singers. I haven't really understood the last three seasons, but one thing I sort of liked about this season was that there were no burning pianos. So to speak. And even though there were some bad "production numbers", which I think are unnecessary, they weren't seemingly as frequent. I thought the judging in S10 and S11 was a farce, and I had no use for JLo, so anything was an improvement. At least the judges did try to do some judging, and not overpraise everything.

Last edited: