Canada to develop a no-fly list

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Canada to develop a no-fly list

Associated Press | August 10, 2005

Canada is developing a no-fly list in an effort to prevent terrorist attacks and make air travel safer, the federal transport minister has announced.

The program, called Passenger Protect, will identify people who pose "an immediate threat to aviation security" and will work with airlines to stop suspects from flying, Transport Minister Jean Lapierre told reporters in Halifax, the provincial capital of Nova Scotia.

"This list is going to be revised regularly, and it's not going to be published all over the place," said Lapierre, adding that the list would be ready by 2006 and shared with all airlines, sea ports and border crossings.

"Obviously, there are people out there who are full of bad intentions," Lapierre said. "If anybody tries to buy a ticket under those names, well then, they will never get on an airplane."

The U.S. has operated a no-fly list for a few years, following the Sept. 11, 2001 terrorist attacks on New York and Washington D.C. area. The list could help satisfy U.S. demands that Canadian airlines provide passenger lists for all flights that go through U.S. airspace.

Washington has been pressuring Ottawa to take a greater role in increasing North American security, particularly along the 4,000-mile border with the U.S.

Lapierre also said he plans to meet with key players in the ground transportation system to discuss security in light of the recent subway attacks in London.

Opposition Leader Stephen Harper said he saw little new in the transportation minister's announcements.

"We've had lots of security announcements from this government and very little action," said Harper, leader of the Conservative Party. "This is part of a pattern of phony announcements. I'll believe it when I see it."

mrmom2

Senate Member
Mar 8, 2005
Kamloops BC
Thats exacty what is going to happen Rev our goverment hates protesters and activists just as much as the US does :wink:

stratochief

Nominee Member
Jul 1, 2005
There is a real potential of terrorism but there's also a 'anti-terrorism industry' that has it's own momentum. Being tough on terrorism is like motherhood and apple pie.

Just where is all this terrorism happening in Canada? The argument 'are we going to wait for something to happen?' assumes that spending hundreds of million and stepping on individual rights is going to actually prevent 'something from happening'.

Let's be honest. What we are concerned about is Muslims. So far the Muslim community in Canada has not been isolated and stigmitized. We should be careful to not create a mentality where the 20-year-old Muslim in Edmonton or Halifax isn't put in some position where he has to prove his loyalty to Canada, etc. He isn't stopped on the street and asked for an ID or singled out in any way. These 'lists' will really be lists of Muslims and if I was on any list I'd want my name put there after a full hearing in a court of law and a ruling by a judge that I was a threat of some type. I sure wouldn't want my name on a list because one of Uncle Sam's agents had received a piece of intelligence though some 'source' in a Saudi prison.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Thats exacty what is going to happen Rev our goverment hates protesters and activists just as much as the US does

That they do. Remember after our rights-raping "anti-terrorist" law came in? Chretien admitted that it could be used to break up protests like the one in Quebec city. Not too long after that, we hosted the G-8 at Kananaskis. The big draw? Protestors couldn;t get near the site.

LeftCoast

Electoral Member
Jun 16, 2005
Vancouver
There is an upside to this. If the US insists on demanding that Canada provide the FCC with passenger lists for domestic flights which cross US airspace, Canada - now with its own no-fly list - can reciprocate and demand US domestic flights which cross into Canadian airspace provide passenger lists to the RCMP. This might just stop this nonsense in its tracks.

stratochief

Nominee Member
Jul 1, 2005
True. The actions of the police (and subsequent lack of accountability) at the APEC conference is still, in my humble opinion, the low point in the modern history of Canadian liberties.

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
Re: RE: Canada to develop a n

Reverend Blair said:
If they use like the US has, it will become a tool in stopping legitimate political demonstrations.

un believable...un frickking believable, since when have we agreed to become a dictatorship with no rights...I never signed that petition :evil: