Buying local / support the small guy

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Bah! I refuse to go into costco now...the trouble with to much slection is you spend more money :lol: There was never one time I went into that store that I did not come out with something I never intended to buy. I had to go back to what my papa always says, if you see something you want, go home and think about it for a day, most times the next day...you never really wanted it anyway :wink: Bah! the guy was right, I never thought I would be saying that 8O

Jovey

Feb 21, 2005
Niagara Falls, Canada
I also prefer to stay away from Home Depot. I find their service poor-too few sales reps in general not to mention those lacking the approprate knowledge. I was surprised the few times I have been in there and by comparing flyers that their prices are not as cheap as I would have thought they should be.

And it is so nice going into a store where you have become a regular and being greeted by your first name. The fact that that person took the time to learn your name and the face that goes along with it among all other customers speaks volumes. They should be supported:that is good business.

We have a few computers in our house, one which was bought from a chain store, the others from a local business. Naturally, those bought from the locals (which were cheaper by the way) have by far outlasted that bought from the chain. They didn't talk us into buying the most expensive models, but went through all the options with us to sell us something that would fit our needs and would last for a time. Now we can get regular updates without having to buy a new computer every couple years. Needless to say, that is where we now go for all our computer needs :)

I guess the only thing the big boys do provide is a large amount of jobs at any given time. Of course they are never high paying jobs with benefits and such. I'm sure there would always be other options for jobs if the Home Depots and Walmarts of the neighborhoods had never showed up. Just my opinion and experience.

cdn_bc_ca

Electoral Member
May 5, 2005
Vancouver
I fully agree in supporting your local stores.... especially local computer stores. They always seem to have the lowest prices. However, I have a few suggestions:

1. Buy small first and build up a relationship.
2. Check other local stores to see if their prices are reasonable.
3. Check to see that they are part of the BBB or accept credit cards (and not cash only) or anything to make sure that they are in there for the long run. (Not a fly-by-night store)

Local stores are great, but when you go out and blindly buy a computer at a family owned local store just because it's cheaper... you are ignoring the service and return policies which, in my opinion, are superior at your box stores. Try returning your shiny new computer at your family owned local store. Even if they allow it, you will be slapped with a restocking fee of some sort... and get ready for some resistance. They try doing the same thing at FutureShop.. they don't even ask any questions! (just make sure you have everything in it's original packaging and the receipt).

I'm not saying that all local stores are like this, but some are and you need to do your homework first.

Then there was this incident at Rona. All you plumbers out there will get a good laugh out of this. My temp and pressure (T&P) relief valve was leaking so I had to get a new one. I took the old one off my tank and headed to Rona. I couldn't find where they kept their T&P valves so I asked. The person showed me where the were kept and got me a new one. I looked at it and it different from the one I had in my hand. More precisely, the one in my hand was rated for 150psi and 210F, the one he gave me was for 125psi and 210F. I let the person know about this and he shrugged it off saying that the water coming into the house is only 70-80psi so it was well within limits. Doesn't he know that when water is boiled the pressure rises? Anyways, I took his word for it and went home and installed the new valve. 2 hours later while I'm watching TV, I hear a noise that was very similar to water gushing as if somebody turned on a hose. So I run downstairs... low-and-behold, the valve I just installed had opened (which is what it was designed to do when pressure exceeds it's rated limit) and was letting hot water out into the drain. After a few minutes of investigating, I determined that I really needed a valve rated for 150psi and that the tank's normal operating pressure was 150psi. So I went back and found out that they didn't have any T&P valves rated for 150psi. I went to Home Depot and they had the exact same one I originally had and now I'm a happy camper.

As any plumber can tell you, T&P valves are a serious thing. If you install it incorrectly or if you buy one that has the wrong rating, you run the risk of your hot water tank literally blowing up (the force of it can knock out walls and there are pictures on the internet that show this). Fortunately, the valve I bought was rated lower than the original so when the tank was trying to reach 150psi, the valve was opening at 125psi.

So the moral of the story? Well, I almost forgot... :D No wait, it's not just Home Depot that have poor service people with poor knowledge.... they exist at Rona too. :cry:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Buying local / suppor

Most local supply stores have knowledgable people working in them. Big box stores do not always have people like that. For plumbing we used to have Sutherland Supply and Winnipeg Supply. Now we have Home Despot and Rona.

I never felt unsure asking the guys at Sutherland anything. They knew their stuff. I have no where near that kind of confidence in the people at the big box stores.