Buying local / support the small guy

Judland

Electoral Member
We just came back from our Saturday morning errands and I just wanted to post a little something about the value of buying from your neighborhood shop keeper.

I went looking for a new router for our home network. In order to prove something to myself, I started out by going to all of the major "box stores" (ie. Staples, FutureShop, WalMart, London Drugs) to get a comparative price list.

Some prices were good, but those that were lowest seemed to include a mail-in coupon, in order to get the better price.

Then I went to a little computer place that I've been giving a lot of my hardware business. Their REGULAR price for the same model of network router was lower or matched the "box store" prices. That was without having to jump through the hoops of the mail-in refund.

I guess the point I'm trying to make here is this: Before "saving yourself a trip" by buying from one of those super stores (which is killing the retail market), go those few extra blocks and give the little guy a shot at winning your business. By doing so, you're probably helping someone right in your own neighborhood... rather than a bunch of shareholders who, most likely, don't even live in Canada.

bogie

Electoral Member
Jun 21, 2002
Barrie, ON Canada
maltesefalcon.bogart.com
I buy most of my parts at a local place, here in town. It's only when I can't get something from him, that I need quickly, that I go online to order something. I pay a little more, most times, but he returns the favour and sends me business - so it all works out best. I also send many people his way.

A little local networking can build nice relationships.

whicker

Electoral Member
Feb 20, 2005
Ontario
I like supporting local shops but not when they are the most expensive in town (and I think more than a little incompetent). If they are the only type shop I will spend the extra money and go to the nearest city. Sort of cutting my nose off to spite my face but it irks me that much.

Judland

Electoral Member
I like supporting local shops but not when they are the most expensive in town (and I think more than a little incompetent).

I understand, but there hasn't been a Staples, FutureShop or London Drugs clerk that I've met that knew much about what they're selling either.

I stump them all by asking, "is this Linux compatible?" All I get is, "dunno."

I go to the little computer shop I regularly buy from and at least get better recommendations from them. Maybe I'm just lucky enough to have found a group of guys who know their stuff AND are selling at better prices.

However, overall, I think you'll find more knowledgable people at specialty shops than what you'd find working at WalMart or FutureShop.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Buying local / suppor

The little guy (little? he's huge, actually) I bought my P-100 from away back when sent me to Staples to buy the computer I have now. He said the price was better and the product was great. I'll bet that kind of honesty doesn't go both ways.

I but all my lumber etc. at a local chain. Their prices are the same, but the people working the desk actually know local codes. The other thing is that they have an actual lumber yard, so I don't have to load everything onto a cart then from the cart into the truck.

whicker

Electoral Member
Feb 20, 2005
Ontario
My son is my computer whiz tho I can't say who irks who the most especially when I want to download or try different things :eek: Then my local 'guys' aren't too happy either when I bring them in a 'son' tweaked machine :lol:

whicker

Electoral Member
Feb 20, 2005
Ontario
Re: RE: Buying local / suppor

Reverend Blair said:
I but all my lumber etc. at a local chain. Their prices are the same, but the people working the desk actually know local codes. The other thing is that they have an actual lumber yard, so I don't have to load everything onto a cart then from the cart into the truck.

Our local lumber place is CashWay come Rona. They are pretty good but not as customer orientated since being taken over by Rona. I find Home Depot is a great place but that is an hour away from home :(

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

I refuse to go to either Rona or Home Despot (not a typo). The lack of both customer service and employee training at those places is palpable. The way they drove so many small places out of business is just plain old nasty.

Judland

Electoral Member
As much as I can (and I'll have to say it is often), I buy hardware/garden stuff from the little Home Hardware store, my bread and baking from the little bakery next door to it, and greeting cards and drug store stuff from the little drug store two doors down from them.

My webpage is hosted by the locally owned www.blacksun.ca web hosting firm, and, as I stated earlier, my PC hardware purchases are done at www.otvtech.com.

The first bunch of stores are all just a couple blocks away from the house, and you'll find all of their owners working behind the counters most days.

What would be really nice to have is a good stationary supply store and a pet food/supply store. Unfortunately, we still rely on "boxed stores" for that sort of stuff.

The sad part is, all of these people (save Black Sun, perhaps) are really feeling the pressure from the Mega-stores, like Walmart, Home Depot, and FutureShop (or Best Buy, another US owned corporation who's really behind the chain). How long they'll be able to stay in business is anyone's guess.

missile

House Member
Dec 1, 2004
Saint John N.B.
I like supporting the smaller,local stores.They know me and often I get a better deal because of that.I've dealt with the same computor guy since 1997 and trust him completely

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
Re: RE: Buying local / suppor

Reverend Blair said:
I refuse to go to either Rona or Home Despot (not a typo). The lack of both customer service and employee training at those places is palpable. The way they drove so many small places out of business is just plain old nasty.

I've actually found service at the Home Depot to be fantastic. The have everything you might need, you can't spit without hitting a "customer service" rep, and in my experience they are quite knowledgeable. As far as driving small places out of business, ultimately the consumer will vote with his dollar for the best business, and the results are in.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
I prefer the small business, after all they are the "backbone" yes alot of people think of the dollar in the end. But I don't, I am not wasting my time driving around, trying to save a few nickels. Instead I prefer to give my money to the family putting their kids through school and give back to the community. Its also personal, and these people become part of the fabric of your life.

Do you know how many people have been killed by objects falling on them at home depot? Well they try to keep it a secret, part of the settlements they make. The last one I read about was a child. But I have definately gone there when I cannot find what I need locally. So in the end I not only contribute to my neighbourhood, but I get to know some wonderful people. Each to their own. :p

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

You get better customer service from the small "Mom and Pop" type of business's, they also seem more knowledgable and usually ready to answer any questions. (and they usually have an answer).

Small business owners are the back bone of "society", we need them and not just huge impersonnel box stores. They have charactor and I do not mind spending a few more bucks, if need be (but sometimes/more often than not they are cheaper and just as competetive) and more helpful than some staff at box stores, as small business has more to lose than the likes of Wal-Mart or Home Depot.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Well important I guess it all depends on how you define how you want to live your life. You can make it impersonal and wander the aisles with the other drones, and save a few bucks. Thats their right and their business. But I know exactly what you mean, its about alot more than saving a few dollars.

There is true richness and deep feelings when you are part of your neighbourhood and the people that live and work there. Its a wonderful feeling to feel part of your community and they are an extention of "family". Sure I could buy some flowers much cheaper from a box store, but than I would not know yukie, who owns the local zen flower shop, I like going into the iranian grocery and being called by my name and being asked how are you today "neighbour" Nope all these things only make for a richer life, not the monetary kind either :wink:

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
I've actually found service at the Home Depot to be fantastic. The have everything you might need, you can't spit without hitting a "customer service" rep, and in my experience they are quite knowledgeable.

I've heard them give the wrong advice to people time and again, especially when it comes to electrical and plumbing. It's the kind of "short-cut" that works, but does not meet code. If these people have permits, they will fail inspection. If they don't have permits, their insurance is at risk should something happen.

One example of that is a friend who built a garage. I helped him put it up, but he was going to wire it himself. The people at (Home Depot or Rona...I can't remember which) told him to drill through the engineered trusses to string the wire. That's a definite no-no, and every electrician and carpenter in Manitoba knows it. The inspector initially wanted all of the trusses replaced, but we were able to convince him that 3/4" plywood gussets on both sides of the truss would make it strong enough. Then we got to restring the wire.

If my friend wouldn't have known people who were used to dealing with inspectors and familiar with code, he would have ended up taking the roof off the garage and replacing the trusses, a huge expense. As it was it cost him a sheet of plywood and some beer, as well as a lot of headaches and some funny-looking trusses.

I have lots of stories like that from those places..."No, you don't need a permit," "No, you don't need to vent that drain," "You can just cheat that slope, it won't cause any problems." "Hats are optional on vapour barriers." It's like watching the clowns on those decorating shows.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
always have, always will. hate box stores cause i never get any service. god i am getting old.! future shop makes me shudder (hey - good title for a cd) and i won't go near officedepot and all that stuff. we have some good local places.

galianomama

Council Member
Jun 29, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
just a little aside - by buying local and supporting the local guy you are also supporting kyoto in your own little way, by not having to gas to these places, they grow the product locally, etc. 8)

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
hey you could rap that future shop song mama :lol: Don't forget about our sweet iranian grocerier, he is always feeding us a plate of food...I hate the dates tho...Bah! to sweet, but he is so nice, I cannot be mean. Bah! I hate that when I cannot be mean :wink:

MMMike

Council Member
Mar 21, 2005
Toronto
galianomama said:
just a little aside - by buying local and supporting the local guy you are also supporting kyoto in your own little way, by not having to gas to these places, they grow the product locally, etc. 8)

Hey, I agree. Where it is convenient to do so, and doesn't cost me much extra $$, I'll always buy local. I look at labels to see where things are made, and I like supporting local businesses. But I won't support inefficient businesses just because they are local. In most cases, box stores thrive because they are more appealing to the consumer: more selection, better prices. You won't catch me picketing against a big box store.