Bush Vetoes Embryonic Stem-Cell Bill

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Cord blood is probably the solution. Umbilical cord and embryonic stemcells aren't quite the same though. Embryonic stemcells have a higher level of cell differentiation. The flipside is many who have been in the research area admit that embryonic stemcells probably won't have the practical application that many want to believe it could. The cancer issues are still unclear and it may take a hundred or more embryos for one treatment plan. Without further research no one will truly know.

The problem I have is Bush has not looked at any issues other than the ethical issues. Even there he doesn't understand what happens in the industry but he knows it looks good to his base.

Riyko

Electoral Member
Apr 29, 2006
Oakville, Ontario
I kind of agree with bush on the veto of this bill mainly because the U.S. taxpayers would have to fund the federal government to be able to do the stem cell research.

I don't like bush, but I also don't want to have to pay for a research the government wants to do. They could use the money for better education.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
RE: Bush Vetoes Embryonic

Riyko,

I don't know if you are aware, but the U.S. government already funds medical research in the United States (as well as in Canada). In fact the budget of the NIH alone (which is a government agency) has a budget of about $28 billion according to wikipedia. This 28 billion is then distributed in smaller grants to researchers across the country. As far as I know, the bill would not increase the budget of the NIH, and hence you would not actually be paying more money. It would just mean that some of that 28 billion could be used to fund stem cell research. It is important for the government to fund research, because of course anyone can get sick at anytime, so what you are paying into now may pay off big time later.

NIH from Wikipedia

tamarin

House Member
Jun 12, 2006
Oshawa ON
As has been said, Bush's veto covers federal funding. Stem cell research is hot. It's a huge frontier. There will be no trouble getting private funding to promising research players. IPO's will rake in more cash than Pirates of the Caribbean. No shortage of money in this field. As the international competition heats up, the US should find growth in stem cell science carried along on the wave. An investment tsunami.

gc

Electoral Member
May 9, 2006
RE: Bush Vetoes Embryonic

Some funny cartoons on the subject...