BlackBerry smartphone maker is put up for sale

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Never owned Nortel. Did you get burned by Nortel?

No. But I have a friend who was employed by them and saw his bonuses (incentives in Nortel stock) completely wiped out. Eventually he also lost his job although he did get another fairly quickly. It was a pretty hefty hit to his net worth however.

Walter

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 28, 2007
No. But I have a friend who was employed by them and saw his bonuses (incentives in Nortel stock) completely wiped out. Eventually he also lost his job although he did get another fairly quickly. It was a pretty hefty hit to his net worth however.
Don't put all yer eggs in one bag. BB ended up over 5% at the end of trading today.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
BlackBerry sues Ryan Seacrest's company over iPhone keyboard
Alastair Sharp, REUTERS
First posted: Friday, January 03, 2014 02:20 PM EST | Updated: Friday, January 03, 2014 02:39 PM EST
TORONTO - BlackBerry Ltd said on Friday it had filed a lawsuit against a company co-founded by American Idol host Ryan Seacrest that offers a physical keyboard that can be attached to some of Apple Inc's touchscreen iPhone 5 models.
The company, Typo Products LLC, is currently taking pre-orders for the $99 US keyboard, which features angled miniature keys similar to those used on many of BlackBerry's devices.
BlackBerry, a once dominant smartphone maker that has lost market share to the iPhone and other touchscreen devices, said Typo's keyboard infringes its own design.
The allegation has not been proven in court. Typo and Seacrest could not immediately be reached to comment on the legal proceedings.
"We are flattered by the desire to graft our keyboard onto other smartphones, but we will not tolerate such activity without fair compensation for using our intellectual property and our technological innovations," Steve Zipperstein, BlackBerry's chief legal officer, said in a statement.
BlackBerry posted billions in losses in recent quarters as its latest devices sold poorly, but it has maintained a loyal niche of customers who prefer to type on a physical keyboard.
The BlackBerry complaint is case no. 3:14-cv-23 in the United States District Court for the northern district of California.
BlackBerry sues Ryan Seacrest's company over iPhone keyboard | News | Tech | Toronto Sun
BlackBerry sues Ryan Seacrest startup Typo
01/04/2014 10:15 AM CNN
BlackBerry is suing a new tech company co-founded by American Idol host Ryan Seacrest.
The startup Typo Products is about to release a new tactile keyboard — which uses real keys instead of a touch-screen and snaps onto Apple iPhones.
But Waterloo, Ont.-based BlackBerry says Typo’s design is a blatant copy of BlackBerry’s own keyboard and is suing for patent infringement.
Typo has been taking pre-orders for its new keyboard since the company launched in December.
It plans to officially release the device this month.
BlackBerry is suing Typo Products (whose keyboard is shown above) for patent infringement. HANDOUT/Typo Products
BlackBerry sues Ryan Seacrest startup Typo | CityNews
Startup backed by TV host Seacrest says BlackBerry lawsuit lacks merit
REUTERS
First posted: Monday, January 06, 2014 01:01 PM EST | Updated: Monday, January 06, 2014 01:09 PM EST
TORONTO - A small company backed by American Idol host Ryan Seacrest that makes an iPhone-compatible keyboard says a lawsuit filed against it by BlackBerry Ltd lacks merit.
The company, Typo Products LLC, said it still plans to launch the product, which attaches to some of Apple Inc's touchscreen iPhone 5 models, at a trade show this week and to begin shipping the keyboards later this month.
"Although we respect Blackberry and its intellectual property, we believe that Blackberry's claims against Typo lack merit and we intend to defend the case vigorously," the company said in a statement on Monday.
"We are excited about our innovative keyboard design, which is the culmination of years of development and research," it said.
Struggling smartphone maker BlackBerry says the Typo keyboard is an attempt to graft its distinctive angled miniature keys on to other smartphones.
Startup backed by TV host Seacrest says BlackBerry lawsuit lacks merit | News | Tech | Toronto Sun

Typo Keyboards - YouTube
TYPO PRODUCTS - iPhone Keyboard Case from Typo on Vimeo
Typo iPhone Keyboard Case

Last edited:

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
And BB has nobody to blame for their demise but themselves. They had a huge lead and sat on their hands and did nothing. They aren't the first company to do this and they won't be the last. The Z10 was a nice move but too little and about 4 years too late.

The Torch is the tech they needed to keep pushing, imo. The Z10 is just another touchscreen phone like all the others. With fewer apps on BB than the competitors, the actual phone is why people stay typically. And honestly, I've seen tons of people switch from Torch to iPhone, and HATE it. If you love keys, you love keys!

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I had the Torch. Loved it. I love keys... I love my Q10 now. The keyboard is awesome and finally back-lit. Took me a couple of weeks to really get into it, but it's the best. No Iphone for me.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I had the Torch. Loved it. I love keys... I love my Q10 now. The keyboard is awesome and finally back-lit. Took me a couple of weeks to really get into it, but it's the best. No Iphone for me.

Part of why I have BB is because hubby's work does. So, because they have BBM, they don't have unlimited texting. This meant if I wanted to talk to him as much as I wanted, BBM was the way to go. WAS. Now the company's rolling over to iPhone for some weird reason. They must have made their platform more secure finally I guess, that was the big reason BB was so preferred. Anyway, that's a long way around to saying that I now have nothing tethering me to any specific phone. But, given the upheaval in the market, and the new laws that have come in, I'm kind of sitting on my hands, holding onto my old phone, and waiting to see what truly new and better thing comes out before I switch to a new one.

I have to say though, that bugs the phone companies. 'It's time for a new phone'.... 'this one still works, I'm good thanks'.... 'but, it's time for a new phone'.... 'I'll just stick with this one and my old $45 a month plan thanks'..... 'but, there's newer better phones'..... 'yeah but I don't need a better phone, or a pricier plan, what I have serves my needs'....'that's not a thing! get a new phone!'

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Part of why I have BB is because hubby's work does. So, because they have BBM, they don't have unlimited texting. This meant if I wanted to talk to him as much as I wanted, BBM was the way to go. WAS. Now the company's rolling over to iPhone for some weird reason. They must have made their platform more secure finally I guess, that was the big reason BB was so preferred. Anyway, that's a long way around to saying that I now have nothing tethering me to any specific phone. But, given the upheaval in the market, and the new laws that have come in, I'm kind of sitting on my hands, holding onto my old phone, and waiting to see what truly new and better thing comes out before I switch to a new one.

I have to say though, that bugs the phone companies. 'It's time for a new phone'.... 'this one still works, I'm good thanks'.... 'but, it's time for a new phone'.... 'I'll just stick with this one and my old $45 a month plan thanks'..... 'but, there's newer better phones'..... 'yeah but I don't need a better phone, or a pricier plan, what I have serves my needs'....'that's not a thing! get a new phone!'
yeah I held to my Torch for a year longer than I to. What bugged me was when I switched phones and got a new plan (mine was my five) the new plan gives me unlimited everything for the same price... ya'd think they would tell ya but nope. That bugged me. Right now in Waterloo, apparently they are working on something that will revolutionize technology within the next three years. Should be interesting. Don't think you can wait that long though.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
yeah I held to my Torch for a year longer than I to. What bugged me was when I switched phones and got a new plan (mine was my five) the new plan gives me unlimited everything for the same price... ya'd think they would tell ya but nope. That bugged me. Right now in Waterloo, apparently they are working on something that will revolutionize technology within the next three years. Should be interesting. Don't think you can wait that long though.

I have a my five plan right now, but, what I have with that plan, that I can't get if I switch, is unlimited facebook data. And since I still have a land line (which astounded the young man trying to sell me a new phone... god I felt old), I don't need unlimited phone.

He really tried to sell me on the idea that I needed, NEEDED, data, but I pointed out repeatedly 'I'm a stay at home mom'. Having facebook on me all the time is plenty of data, because if I'm ever in a bind, HAVE to know something, rfn..... you just facebook that you need it, and people come through. lol.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
I have a my five plan right now, but, what I have with that plan, that I can't get if I switch, is unlimited facebook data. And since I still have a land line (which astounded the young man trying to sell me a new phone... god I felt old), I don't need unlimited phone.

He really tried to sell me on the idea that I needed, NEEDED, data, but I pointed out repeatedly 'I'm a stay at home mom'. Having facebook on me all the time is plenty of data, because if I'm ever in a bind, HAVE to know something, rfn..... you just facebook that you need it, and people come through. lol.
agreed...with the plan I currently have, in three weeks, I've hardly moved the data band...I can down load this and that...yeah, except it won't happen...when you have kids you still need a land line I think.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
agreed...with the plan I currently have, in three weeks, I've hardly moved the data band...I can down load this and that...yeah, except it won't happen...when you have kids you still need a land line I think.

That's what I told the guy, and he still looked at me funny, so I had to explain they didn't have cell phones. I thought he was going to report me for child abuse.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
That's what I told the guy, and he still looked at me funny, so I had to explain they didn't have cell phones. I thought he was going to report me for child abuse.
even if kids have cell phones for emergency contact, I personally would want all phone conversations they were involved in to be coming into my home on a landline so I could monitor who they were speaking to and for how long. Maybe that's old fashioned but there are too many hunters out there stalking and I think phones and computers need to be monitored.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
even if kids have cell phones for emergency contact, I personally would want all phone conversations they were involved in to be coming into my home on a landline so I could monitor who they were speaking to and for how long. Maybe that's old fashioned but there are too many hunters out there stalking and I think phones and computers need to be monitored.

Oh strangers aren't the biggest reason I have that rule in my house, it's the 'strife at school' issue. If they're going to have a fight with a friend, or a boyfriend, or an enemy, I want that kid to have to go through me, not call my kid direct. I want them to know it's taking place in family space.

Sal

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 29, 2007
Oh strangers aren't the biggest reason I have that rule in my house, it's the 'strife at school' issue. If they're going to have a fight with a friend, or a boyfriend, or an enemy, I want that kid to have to go through me, not call my kid direct. I want them to know it's taking place in family space.
absolutely right karrie