Black History Month

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
The staff pried from the hands of a statue of Harriet Tubman by vandals in December has been returned to the Annapolis, Maryland, museum where it has been on display.

Officials from the Banneker-Douglass Museum said the piece that was broken from the statue arrived in the mail addressed to the Annapolis Police Department.
Article

Well, that's one way to celebrate, I guess.

Ron in Regina

"Voice of the West" Party
Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
If you could trademark feminism, the Trudeau Liberals would have attempted to do so a long time ago. The party seems to believe that diversity and equality aren’t just ideals to support, but ownable fiefdoms of which they are the natural rights-holders.
1677353703881.jpeg

This medieval attitude also appears to extend to Black History Month. On Feb. 8, the Government of Canada threw its annual Black History Month celebration at the National Arts Centre. It was an appropriately grand and celebratory affair, with dance and poetry performances, heartfelt tributes and a buzzing bar.
1677354713266.jpeg

There were even gate crashers. No, not university students looking to score at the buffet or wannabe politicos eager to network. The audacious interlopers were none other than NDP Leader Jagmeet Singh and Green Leader Elizabeth May.
1677353077828.jpeg

According to Politico, both were “snubbed” and hadn’t received invitations to the event. Not present, but also reportedly not invited, was Conservative MP Leslyn Lewis, one of only eight Black MPs and the only Black Conservative in the House. I confirmed that Conservative Leader Pierre Poilievre also didn’t receive an invitation.
1677432977987.jpeg

In contrast, 12 Liberal cabinet ministers alongside a bevy of other Liberal MPs of various backgrounds were in attendance. Of course, Prime Minister Justin Trudeau attended and spoke at the party. The press gallery was also invited.
1677353440227.png

Trudeau opened his speech by joking that he might recruit the evening’s MC, TV host Sabine Daniel, to join the Liberals like he did with Marci Ien in 2020. “Keep an eye out, and we might find a riding for you,” he said.

Meant to be an official Government of Canada celebration, it sure seemed more designed to be a partisan Liberal event. A caucus that views themselves as Canada’s natural governing party may see little distinction between the two, but it matters.
1677352788432.jpeg

At a minimum, all party leaders and Black MPs should have been invited to such an important event honouring the successes of Black Canadians and communities from coast to coast. However, turning a publicly funded event focused on diversity and inclusion into an exclusionary one based on political stripe is perfectly on brand for this iteration of the Liberal party.
1677354043006.jpeg

When Politico reporters requested comment on the guest list from the Department of Canadian Heritage, which organized the event, they were redirected to Diversity and Inclusion Minister Ahmed Hussen’s office. Hussen was billed as the evening’s host.

As it turns out, getting information on something as simple as a party invite list is more onerous than pulling teeth. Hussen’s office told Politico that, “Due to privacy concerns we cannot disclose this information.” Of course, these days, privacy concerns seems to be the go-to euphemism for concerns about bad publicity.
1677352900720.jpeg
It’s bad enough when the Liberals cynically appropriate equality issues to further their own self-serving means, but tapping taxpayer funds to do so raises an entirely new set of concerns.

Attachments

• 1677353556032.jpeg
    1677353556032.jpeg
    196.1 KB · Views: 8
  • 1677354430704.jpeg
    1677354430704.jpeg
    82.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Not seeing how?

Trudeau in blackface was just the utmost of stupidity.

RDJ did it as an actual call out to acting.
Didn’t read the article the pictures tell it all . Is that right ? Do you have any thoughts on why black conservatives weren’t invited ?

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Why Darth Vader in a sombrero for black history month? Because it’s the only photograph of him that I have on my phone, & he’s voiced by James Earl Jones, who like Robert Downey, Jr. is also an actor.
1677425664026.jpeg

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Then, why the picture of Morgan Freeman when I’m mentioning James Earl Jones?

Because the picture representative of James Earl Jones is in Post#10, but I posted a picture of Morgan Freeman in honour of the interview that he did with Mike Wallace on 60 Minutes regarding Black History Month (not because he also happens to be black, Morgan Freeman, I mean, and not Mike Wallace).

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Mike Wallace, though does happen to be Jewish but he doesn’t want a Jewish history month, but that’s a different story that you would have to learn from the interview.

And thus the circle is completed, which shows why there’s a picture of Robert Downey, Jr. as Kurt Lazarus from Tropic Thunder in a thread on Black History Month that also mentions Justin Trudeau (Canada’s first part-time black PM).
1677427169625.jpeg
“I am playing a role within a role within a role so I know who I am.” — Kirk Lazarus
You kind of lost me when your picture of Harry Bellefonte was Darth Vador. Harry is not Darth or James Earl Jones or Morgan Freeman for that matter.
Post #3, bottom pic, left of the three. Harry Belafonte.
View attachment 17464
Which was this:
1677427357345.jpeg

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan
Then, why the picture of Morgan Freeman when I’m mentioning James Earl Jones?
1677437510426.jpeg
Because the picture representative of James Earl Jones is in Post#10, but I posted a picture of Morgan Freeman in honour of the interview that he did with Mike Wallace on 60 Minutes regarding Black History Month (not because he also happens to be black, Morgan Freeman, I mean, and not Mike Wallace
Sorry, I missed this earlier:
Then, the Scottish Highlands? Apparently…

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
View attachment 17471

Sorry, I missed this earlier:
Then, the Scottish Highlands? Apparently…

I get what Morgan was saying and honestly wish it could be like that.

Reality is though, it's not.

History is full of mostly white based history in North America and maybe the odd "other" race as a footnote. You won't get any other unless there is things like Black History month. OR society decides that ALL history matters and starts teaching White, Black, Native, Asian, Latino history alongside one another.

Ron in Regina

Apr 9, 2008
Regina, Saskatchewan

History is full of mostly white based history in North America and maybe the odd "other" race as a footnote. You won't get any other unless there is things like Black History month. OR society decides that ALL history matters and starts teaching White, Black, Native, Asian, Latino history alongside one another.
I hear what you’re saying. Check this out with the meat & potatoes towards what you’re saying starts about minute seven:

An interesting take can be found in the last link in Post#15. I know it’s 2 hours or so, but taste the first 10 minutes. It’s quite interesting.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.

When I went to school we learned of ancient history until the present certainly mostly European nd favourable to Britain . But there was geography tying into history for a somewhat global component . Sixty odd years ago if you suggested someone had white privlage you would be laughed at . Polacks limeys kikes wet backs krauts etc. etc. We kind of put all that behind and sorta became Canadians by being equal . It worked and was working with our black community . All black history month does is create division . Counter productive .

Serryah

Executive Branch Member
Dec 3, 2008
New Brunswick
I hear what you’re saying. Check this out with the meat & potatoes towards what you’re saying starts about minute seven:

An interesting take can be found in the last link in Post#15. I know it’s 2 hours or so, but taste the first 10 minutes. It’s quite interesting.

I'll take a look maybe later tonight or tomorrow. I'm all over for sleep thanks to scheduling at work.

Reactions: Ron in Regina

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
When I went to school we learned of ancient history until the present certainly mostly European nd favourable to Britain . But there was geography tying into history for a somewhat global component . Sixty odd years ago if you suggested someone had white privlage you would be laughed at . Polacks limeys kikes wet backs krauts etc. etc. We kind of put all that behind and sorta became Canadians by being equal . It worked and was working with our black community . All black history month does is create division . Counter productive .
Likewise different just us systems based on race.