Bertuzzi for Luongo

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I think both teams did ok in this trade. From the Canuck's side they get one of the leagues best goaltenders. Bertuzzi's salary is gone so they can pick up one or two free agents, as they will need to replace Jovanovski when he leaves. Lsat year's #1 pick, Luc Bourdon, will fill the gap left by Bryan Allen, and although young he has more long term promise.

Both teams did not make the playoffs. Both needed change.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Toro, on the radio call in shows last night it was split. Many thought Keenan hosed Nonis. No doubt Florida got three NHL starters out this. Jovo will sign in Florida too. I also heard that Keenan was going after Pronger. Pronger asked to be traded from Edmonton for personal reasons. I don't think his wife likes it there.

Toro

Senate Member
That's true, but Bert was damaged goods. So if they were going to move him, I didn't think they'd get full value. This is pretty close to full value.

Luongo is still young, is he not? Only 25 or thereabouts, whereas Bert is 31. Auld is decent but not as good as Luongo.

As for Pronger, that's too bad. But I've had the opportunity to move up there and have declined for probably the same reasons why Mrs. Pronger wants to leave, so I can sympathize. Too damn cold!

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Bertuzzi isnt the same anymore, The Canucks did more than better with this trade, They will have a great goalie and still have a great team with out Bertuzzi.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
McKenzie: Now they have to sign him

TSN.ca Staff

6/23/2006

The Vancouver Canucks finally have a Top Five netminder, and it's a franchise player in Roberto Luongo.

But acquiring the former Florida Panther came at a significant price in Todd Bertuzzi. For whatever shortcomings he might have had, the power forward is still a prime asset in today's National Hockey League. Bryan Allen has developed into a top-four defenceman, while Alex Auld became a credible NHL netminder after the season he put in.

The key to the deal for the Vancouver Canucks is signing Luongo to a long-term contract.

If they can do it this summer, the trade is obviously well worth it. If they cannot, the Canucks gave up all those assets for Lucas Krajicek - a guy who's still trying to establish himself as a quality NHL defenceman - and a draft pick.

Now Canucks general manager Dave Nonis is confident that he can get Luongo to do what his agent Gilles Lupien said he would not do in Florida - sign a long-term deal before he becomes eligible to get a no-trade clause.

At the other end of the spectrum, Bertuzzi is coming off a so-called bad season where he scored 25 goals and 71 points. Panthers general manager Mike Keenan loves reclaimation projects and South Florida is a good market for Bertuzzi to adjust to.

If Bertuzzi ended up in another Canadian city, the baggage he brought with him will create an instant backlash. The same thing can happen in the U.S., as everyone will naturally remember the Steve Moore incident.

But in Sunrise, Florida, Bertuzzi is more likely to fly under the radar, concentrate on playing hockey, and resurrect his career to become the elite power forward we saw a few seasons ago.

In other news, Zdeno Chara's agent Matt Keator met with Ottawa Senators GM John Muckler on Friday, and if a deal is to be completed for him to stay in the nation's capital, it will happen sometime next week.

Meanwhile, a deal has not yet been reached between the Montreal Canadiens and soon-to-be unrestricted free agent Cristobal Huet, but the two sides are very close on what appears to be a multi-year contract. And yes, that means David Aebischer would be potentially expendable.

For TSN.ca, I'm Bob McKenzie.

I disagree with McKenzie. If the Canucks make the playoffs next year the rest of the "assets" will be worth more than they are today. If they won't make the playoffs and a deal hasn't been made by the trade deadline they will get good assets for him. Some playoff contenders will easily give up high draft choices for a goalie that could be the difference between a first round knock out and a playoff run.

The biggest risk from an "asset" standpoint is a major or untimely Luongo injury in 2007. Even if he doesn't plan to resign with the Canucks they'll find a way to get or create assets with him.

Plus, these deals are overrated. The salary cap puts more emphasis on free agency. You can create value by releasing and creating more cap room. While cap isn't so much an issue in major league baseball, that league demonstrates how teams can live by draft and free agency alone.

thecdn

Electoral Member
Apr 12, 2006
North Lauderdale, FL
Luongo had pissed off the Panthers by refusing to sign a deal. I'm not happy to see him go, but I understand wanting to get something for him before he becomes unrestricted.

I don't follow hockey too closely down here, but Luongo had become the face and heart of the team. Kind of sucks to see him go.