B.C. First Nations involved in salmon farming demand apology from William Shatner, Ryan Reynolds

Jinentonix

Hall of Fame Member
Sep 6, 2015
Olympus Mons
Let’s not use natures bounty .
Yep, that's what the East Coast fisheries said too. Now, I should clarify, there's a difference between eating fresh caught fish you caught yourself and eating commercially sourced wild fish. Commercially sourced wild fish produces a lot of dead weight, ie: they catch lots of other marine species they aren't fishing for which ultimately end up dead and unused.

Reactions: Taxslave2

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Yep, that's what the East Coast fisheries said too. Now, I should clarify, there's a difference between eating fresh caught fish you caught yourself and eating commercially sourced wild fish. Commercially sourced wild fish produces a lot of dead weight, ie: they catch lots of other marine species they aren't fishing for which ultimately end up dead and unused.
Not so true with the salmon fishery . Gill nets allow you to release unwanted fish alive and those are generally other salmon . Seine nets target schools of salmon with little by catch . Even trollers catch mostly the targeted species with some rock fish and halibut on the lowest gear . You are thinking trawlers which drag the bottom and catch everything . That and targeting bait fish killed the east coast .

Reactions: Taxslave2

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
And where did I say my salmon aren’t sport caught ?

bill barilko

Senate Member
Mar 4, 2009
Vancouver-by-the-Sea
You are thinking trawlers which drag the bottom and catch everything.
Even trawlers are cleaning up their act-trawls no longer exclusively fish the bottom many trawls are designed to be 'flown' at midwater depths thus targeting schools of certain types Rockfish but not touching the benthic environment at all.

Taxslave2

House Member
Aug 13, 2022
So, once again we have white foreigners dictating how our coastal residents should live. The only industry many costal reserves have is their aquaculture. Not like someone in Klemtu can commute to Vancouver to work at rotten ronnies. Another interesting thing came out of this destroying of jobs. Many of the bands opposing fish farms are not even on the coast.