Asthma and Pollution

s243a

Council Member
Mar 9, 2007
Calgary
I have read before that many respiratory problems are due to very small particles in the air that get embedded inside your lungs and cause them to inflame. We here of people on TV have breathing problems because of smog but smog is mostly ozone and is ozone what is really causing the problems? I am wondering if it is feasible to filter these particles. I also wonder if we can do that what effect it would have on lung conditions.

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
I have read before that many respiratory problems are due to very small particles in the air that get embedded inside your lungs and cause them to inflame. We here of people on TV have breathing problems because of smog but smog is mostly ozone and is ozone what is really causing the problems? I am wondering if it is feasible to filter these particles. I also wonder if we can do that what effect it would have on lung conditions.

There are so many factors in asthma that blaming it on any one thing seems a bit silly to me.

My husband is asthmatic. We've lied in all sorts of northern communities, including a community of 3000, north of the 58th. Hubby's asthma was at its peak living there.

When he takes business trips to Houston, he barely needs his meds at all. Now, where would there be more pollution and smog? Tiny northern community? Or Houston, Texas?

While his is just one sample, not necessarily representative of everyone, it makes me question the idea that smog is THE culprit.

temperance

Electoral Member
Sep 27, 2006
Yes it seems that everyone has different triggers with Asthma ,even stress can trigger

dirtylinder

get dirty
Apr 24, 2007
vancouver island
for me

for me the worst is dust...I lived right on a highway, and my asthma was horrid...smoke from a woodstove is also bad.....when I think about bad air, I can't help but think about those who rushed to the twin towers to help..now they are all very ill, and dying from what they breathed in, and the US gov't and WCB have stated there was nothing wrong with the air, so, they are not paying...the autopsies have found their lungs to be so full, (everything from asbestos to glass) they only worked at 30% capacity..

karrie

OogedyBoogedy
Jan 6, 2007
bliss
for me the worst is dust...I lived right on a highway, and my asthma was horrid...smoke from a woodstove is also bad.....when I think about bad air, I can't help but think about those who rushed to the twin towers to help..now they are all very ill, and dying from what they breathed in, and the US gov't and WCB have stated there was nothing wrong with the air, so, they are not paying...the autopsies have found their lungs to be so full, (everything from asbestos to glass) they only worked at 30% capacity..

Part of why my hubby's asthma was so bad in the north, was the vast amount of muskeg in the surrounding area. muskeg means moisture, moisture means mold. While we lived there my son had to be rushed to hospital three times, because his asthma would hit and within 5 seconds he'd be turning blue. We'd hit the hospital (living 4 blocks away), and they'd be screaming for a resuscitation team. It was horrible, and all from some itty bitty mold in the bushes.

I can only imagine how many allergens and irritants a person could inhale from an actual building collapse. I shudder everytime I see a building being imploded on tv... with gaggles of townfolk standing around, babies in strollers, watching. As if the dust will all be so neatly contained.