Anybody Here Familiar With

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Question. Did the hero shoot the thieves, or did he go to prison for just shooting at their truck?

To my American ears, the song doesn't say, but I may be missing some cultural context.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Question. Did the hero shoot the thieves, or did he go to prison for just shooting at their truck?

To my American ears, the song doesn't say, but I may be missing some cultural context.
It says in the lyrics:

Seventh one this summer yesterday
Half a year of profits gone, and now there's hell to pay
The cops say they know who, but there's no proof
The banker hit the roof, and damn near took the car

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
It says in the lyrics:

Seventh one this summer yesterday
Half a year of profits gone, and now there's hell to pay
The cops say they know who, but there's no proof
The banker hit the roof, and damn near took the car
Farm, not car.

The relevant lyric is

Here will be the end of it tonight
'Cause all the proof he needs is lying steady in his sights
It may be just the worst thing he could do
But he squeezes off a few
Then makes his call to town

What he "squeezes off" is shots, not his dick. With his "Winnie .303," a Winchester Model 1895 chambered in .303, referred to earlier in the song.

Hope that helped.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Farm, not car.

The relevant lyric is

Here will be the end of it tonight
'Cause all the proof he needs is lying steady in his sights
It may be just the worst thing he could do
But he squeezes off a few
Then makes his call to town

What he "squeezes off" is shots, not his dick. With his "Winnie .303," a Winchester Model 1895 chambered in .303, referred to earlier in the song.

Hope that helped.

Nah. You can't tell from those lyrics. There is no cultural context.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
No, now that I think about it, I reckon he shot at the thieves. That's why he phoned the Old Bill and handed himself in. Had he just shot at their truck, he wouldn't have bothered doing that.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
Nah. You can't tell from those lyrics. There is no cultural context.
Hard to say. It could be that, out in Western cattle country, a man would be let off with a fine or probation if he, for example, shot a few holes in the radiator or tyres to keep the thieves from escaping, but would get hard time for wounding or killing them.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
No, now that I think about it, I reckon he shot at the thieves. That's why he phoned the Old Bill and handed himself in. Had he just shot at their truck, he wouldn't have bothered doing that.
I'm minded the same, as I said above (our posts crossed). That's why I asked for the context.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Hard to say. It could be that, out in Western cattle country, a man would be let off with a fine or probation if he, for example, shot a few holes in the radiator or tyres to keep the thieves from escaping, but would get hard time for wounding or killing them.
You may think that's the case, but you could just be a brain in a jar in a lab just imagining all this. For all you know, there may be no such things as guns and trucks and it's just a figment of your imagination.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
You may think that's the case, but you could just be a brain in a jar in a lab just imagining all this. For all you know, there may be no such things as guns and trucks and it's just a figment of your imagination.
Are you sure I'm not a gun in a truck imagining brains in jars?

If you'll excuse me, I need to go contemplate the whichness of what and the subtle difference between zero and nothing.

Happy Christmas.

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
Are you sure I'm not a gun in a truck imagining brains in jars?

If you'll excuse me, I need to go contemplate the whichness of what and the subtle difference between zero and nothing.

Happy Christmas.
Well in order for that to be possible, that would mean that panpsychism is possible in the world you inhabit as a conscious gun. In your world, artificial objects have consciousness. This would likely imply that particles such as atoms have a very basic consciousness in the world you inhabit which, when joined together to form an artificial inanimate object, form a much larger and more complex consciousness.