Angelina Jolie plans to adopt Vietnamese child, officials confirm

m_levesque

Electoral Member
Dec 18, 2006
Montreal, Quebec

HANOI, Vietnam (AP) - Angelina Jolie has filed papers to adopt a Vietnamese child, the country's top adoption official said Friday.

A U.S. adoption agency representing Jolie filed the papers at Vietnam's International Adoption Agency, said Vu Duc Long, the agency's director.

"She just filed the papers this week," Long said.

Jolie and her superstar partner, Brad Pitt, have three children: 5-year-old Maddox, adopted from Cambodia; 2-year-old Zahara, adopted from Ethiopia; and another daughter, Shiloh, who was born to the couple in May.

Long would not name the U.S. adoption agency working with Jolie, who applied to adopt as a single parent.

Jolie and Pitt made a surprise visit to Vietnam at Thanksgiving, when they visited the Tam Binh orphanage, on the outskirts of Ho Chi Minh City.

Their pictures were splashed across the front page of Vietnamese newspapers, showing the couple cruising around Ho Chi Minh City on a motorbike.

Nguyen Van Trung, the director of the Tam Binh orphanage, declined to comment. He said he was awaiting the papers from the International Adoption Agency.

Copyright © 2007 Canadian Press

mapleleafgirl

Electoral Member
Dec 13, 2006
windsor,ontario
so is this gonna be the new hollywood trend, find a baby from a different race and adopt them? funny eh, coming from a country that murders millions of babies every year and the rich are looking to import new ones.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I don't see what abortion has to do with this. Adoptive parents can't do anything about that.

I have nothing but respect for someone who chooses to adopt. It isn't a trend. It's the way many people have created their families (including mine).

whicker

Electoral Member
Feb 20, 2005
Ontario
Sad as it is to adopt from outside your own country at least they won't be bothered by either 'parent' for whatever reasons. If I were going to adopt this is what I would do to avoid the hassles allowed in this country by the 'freedom of' act.

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
I am upset because these Hollywood couples should be looking out for the USA first and fore-most, there HOME nation.

They should be adopting American orphan babies, not babies from some 3rd world nation, Americans should only look out for themselves and not others.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
Given the system here, I think they'd be nuts not to consider adopting internationally. The wait for a baby here is so long and there are no guarantees. Plus, I don't see why a Vietnamese child is less deserving of a family.

tanakar

Nominee Member
Feb 14, 2007
Ontario
Given the system here, I think they'd be nuts not to consider adopting internationally. The wait for a baby here is so long and there are no guarantees. Plus, I don't see why a Vietnamese child is less deserving of a family.

I understand what you are saying, but I'm going to play odd man out. I don't really care for inter-racial adoptions. I think children should be adopted by parents of the same race so as to avoid culture confusion as the child ages.No problem adopting oversees, just keep to your own race.

And no, I am not against any race, just I think it better to have your kids as the same race as you.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I think they buy them from other countries. It cost my aunt and uncle 25K to 'adopt' a little chinese baby. they always wanted a girl

westmanguy

Council Member
Feb 3, 2007
yeah its sick really, treating it like an item your going to buy at the store.

These gov.'s make money off Americans who want to get a little Chinese girl.

snowles

Electoral Member
May 21, 2006
Atikokan, Ontario
I am upset because these Hollywood couples should be looking out for the USA first and fore-most, there HOME nation.

They should be adopting American orphan babies, not babies from some 3rd world nation, Americans should only look out for themselves and not others.

Congratulations, I didn't think it was possible, but you've managed to outdo yourself in the quality of that post.

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I wonder how many of you are adopted to look at it so cynically. Interacial adoption vs remaining an orphan is a pretty simple choice to me. You can get to know your biological heritage if you want to (and some don't care to). A lot of those adopted children would be dead had they not been adopted. I have two friends adopted interacially. Both are perfectly well adjusted adults.

To accuse adoptive parents of treating their children like purchases is really innapropriate IMO. Would you say the same thing to couples who spend tens of thousands on fertility treatments to conceive "their own" children?

tracy

House Member
Nov 10, 2005
California
I think they buy them from other countries. It cost my aunt and uncle 25K to 'adopt' a little chinese baby. they always wanted a girl

Do you think it's cheaper here? You'd be surprised at how much it costs and how much money biological parents can squeeze out of potential adoptive parents.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
I know a couple going through international adoption right now. They just learned they are matched to a child, they sent photos etc. After going through all that they were told there is a health issue but don't know to what extent. It was recommended that they have a pediatrician look at the child before making a final decision.

What a roller coaster. Here's "your child". Now the bad news..decide if you want to keep your child. Man it's not easy.

AmberEyes

Sunshine
Dec 19, 2006
Vancouver Island

Did it not occur to you that these "third world" babies as you like to call them are living in conditions much worse than north american orphanages? Did it not occur to you that some couples would like every child to have an equal opportunity to have a good life with food in their bellies and medicine to keep them healthy? Did it not occur to you that national identity means NOTHING when the love of a child who is not yours comes into the picture?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Do you think it's cheaper here? You'd be surprised at how much it costs and how much money biological parents can squeeze out of potential adoptive parents.

I don't know. There was no arragement with the family to pay bills expenses etc, the way it's sometimes done there, (you're in California right?) through private adoption or what have you. Perhaps that's also an option. Not in this case though.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
so is this gonna be the new hollywood trend, find a baby from a different race and adopt them? funny eh, coming from a country that murders millions of babies every year and the rich are looking to import new ones.

That's funny. "the rich are looking to import new ones"

Do you know how many babies are adopted from China into Canada every year? Thousands. And no, the parents aren't "rich", but it's not cheap, either.

You know what the waiting list for infant adoptions is here? 7-10 years. Do you realize that there's a cutoff age for being eligible for domestic adoptions? If the parents are in their 40s when they want kids, it's too late. You'll never get to the top of the list before you're too old. You know what the likelihood of FAS (fetal alcohol syndrome) or other brain damage/psychiatric problems are with domestic adoptions here? High, because the kids having kids are often substance users.

And by the way, Said1, it's not "buying" a baby. You don't know what you're talking about.

Westmanguy, you are actiling like a clueless twerp. Please keep your ill informed and ignorant comments to the Christian discussions, where your lack of intellect is tolerated, even celebrated.

Feel free to go buy some facts and brain cells before you spout off on a subject you know nothing about.

By the way, I don't support Angelina Jolie in her decision; I think she's taking too much of a cause-of-the-day approach to important matters. But that's a separate issue.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
I know a couple going through international adoption right now. They just learned they are matched to a child, they sent photos etc. After going through all that they were told there is a health issue but don't know to what extent. It was recommended that they have a pediatrician look at the child before making a final decision.

What a roller coaster. Here's "your child". Now the bad news..decide if you want to keep your child. Man it's not easy.

That's sad. Reminds me of hiring a building inspector before you buy the house. I feel sorrier for the baby than the couple for some reason. Really heart breaking.