An American Perspective.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Haggis McBagpipe said:
researchok said:
Only one flirting with me lately is my ex.

I really do need to get out more.

Now that is the biggest drawback of the Internet, I think. People put too much o their energy into this invisible world where everybody can be pictured as perfect or damn close to it. It's easier, it's safer, but it isn't real in the sense that matters.

Research, what is your town like for singles? How does one meet somebody in this day and age?

Instinctive response to 'how to meet someone nowadays" is 'Don't ask'.

But you can meet people anywhere-- though Im not a bar type, so thats out-- but you know, don't discount online.

While Ive met some absolute fruitcakes, Ive also met some really nice people.

So, I just go with the flow.

Haggis McBagpipe

Walks on Forum Water
Jun 11, 2004
Victoria, B.C.
researchok said:
Haggis McBagpipe said:
researchok said:
So, I just go with the flow.

Good plan, best way to be. I don't really discount the Internet, I have made some damn fine friends on the Internet. Years ago, on the Atlantic Monthly forum, I met two terrific people. Didn't meet them in person, but the friendships lasted for years. One is still strong, the other faded off after awhile.

One is with a young man in Los Angeles who was studying for his PhD in computer sciences. It was like being a mother again, I got to see him get his PhD, get his company started, get married, have a kid, buy their first house. It is really cool. We have known each other now for about ten years, haven't met yet, although my husband and I were invited to his graduation and wedding. Unfortunately we could not make either one.

The other was an old lady in Atlanta, Georgia. Cool old lady, she had a big old house that she managed to keep after her husband left her with four small children. She kept the house by renting out rooms and by writing screenplays. She writes plays about elders in particular, and the Cancer Society has put on several of them. She is also on some Atlanta elder studies thing. An admirable lady indeed. I am not quite sure what happened with her, she kind of faded off, started just sending forwarded emails instead of writing her own. Finally one day we just stopped emailing each other. That happens too.

researchok

Council Member
Jun 12, 2004
Very nice examples of the possibilities.

Thats one of my buttons-- possibilities...

At any rate, im off for a while.

Gotta catch up on a call to an old classmate-- he's in BC too.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
Ya never know. I posted this thread as an act of desperation, and it appears to have resonated with a number of people.

As for the gender issue, I am a regular volunteer blood donor with the American Red Cross. I have donated gallons over the years, but one fact remains constant: I don't like to see the needle.

Men tend to be outcome-oriented. In my experience, women are process-oriented. One thing I always specify when I go in to donate blood, and that is my preference for having a woman doing the sticking.

XY and XX are distinctly different, in a variety of ways. To discount or attempt to suppress that fact is, to me, a great mistake. As a Frenchman once declared, "vive le difference!" I love the fact that women are women. I am sometimes chagrined by the fact that men are all-too-frequently "men." White men are a small minority on this planet, and ought to be reminded of the fact.

I once had a letter published in our local daily newspaper, and it has long stood as the most brief ever printed.

"All of man's wisdom can be summed up in one brief statement: women are different; which is to say, they are not inferior versions of men."

I love the fact that I am a man, and that women are women.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
A woman is a woman. She is distinctly different from me, who am a man. As deeply as I comprehend my manliness, so I am able to perceive a woman's womanliness.

Add: As I adapt to the needs of a woman, those aspects of her which are distinctly feminine call forth from me, as it were, those aspects of me which are distinctly masculine. I find a part of myself in her, no pun intended. To me, the personalities of women are more interesting than those of men. The awareness of latent sexuality is also exciting, even where and when its expression would be clearly inappropriate. I think that's what makes flirting such a rush, for both parties.

peapod

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2004
pumpkin pie bungalow
Oh Haggis you dog you :lol: Although you did use a phrase once in a posting that I though was something a women would have used. Still tho, score one for the girls. I have to say this board caused me alot of trouble this weekend :lol: Everyone was pretty happy to dump me off at home, in fact I swear the car was still moving when I got out.

The board has awakened all things monty phyton to me. And that darn lumberjack song was the cause. It started off inocently enough. Someone asked me why i did not like sushi, and I said because, Im a lumberjack, and I'm ok, I work all night and I sleep all day...yada yada. At first this was a riot to all, and everyone joined in for a sing along. But than I kept inserting my lumberjack answer when ever the opportunity would come up, and there were plenty of opportunities :wink: After about the 8th time it was begining to annoy everyone. I could'nt stop myself, it was beyond my control. I kept wishing I had gone to the grocery store before I left and bought a couple of coconuts. I could have had alot of fun with those. :lol:

Well I think I need a starbucks to digest your new Haggis, or to think about assumptions, either way I need that Lattie.

American Voice

Council Member
Jun 4, 2004
Ditto Haggis or your return, Peapod. I once actually bought a coconut for one of my girlfriends, a horse person in reduced circumstances, and unable to afford the extravagance of a horse. We had seen "The Holy Grail" together, and both loved it. I cleaned out the shell, and bisected it. Drilling a hole in the bottom of each, I connected them with a length of leather shoelace. She pretended to like it. Well, anyway, glad you're here.