Americans travelling as Canadians

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
No, Bush is not popular right now, and approximately 50% of Americans. As I believe this is getting an endless discussion, I want to end it. I believe my friend was right to make the comments about anti-Americanism in Europe - for it does exist. And I believe she should not be "forced" to explain to every European who approaches her to bitch about America (to put it in such a manner) why she does or does not agree with certain impopular stances of the US government.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
RE: Americans travelling

I'm not saying that it's right or wrong, Rick...just that it should be expected. I really feel sorry for Americans that aren't red-necked idiots. I even believe that they are the majority but are so unrepresented by their politicians that they don't bother showing up to vote.

The hostility towards them didn't come from nowhere though, and I think it's important to recognise that. More than that, I think it's very important that Americans be cognizant of that. There is a feeling in the US that it's nobody else's business what their policies are, but those policies have a very real effect on others.

That's bound to come into play when an American travels abroad and even the most well-meaning should understand that they will face some opposition because of that. By explaining and talking about it, they can help to build opposition.

We're all political to one extent or another, there is no escaping it .

Matty

Dec 18, 2004
Nanaimo, B.C.
This is nothing new really. Bout 10 years back, while in London, my sister was approached by some americans asking to buy her Canadian Flag and pins off her backpack - they were finding it hard to gain admitance into any of the hostels due to thier nationality. Americans are perceived as arrogent, self-centered, rude people, (perceived being the operative word, does not mean that they are ) especially nowadays..yoish..I do feel for all the non-Bushies out there..must be hard. :(

DasFX

Electoral Member
Dec 6, 2004
Whitby, Ontario
There is more to being Canadian than simply slapping on a flag (a most wonderful and brilliant flag mind you.) Europeans are not stupid; they can pick out who is who. Canadians need not worry about a tarnished image!

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
Keep in mind that people are familiar with Canada and the US, but that when a Canadian comes to Europe, he will not be identified as a Canadian, but as a North American (or even American) in the eyes of many (taking in consideration the Canadian does not have the Canadian flag sewed on his backpack). I know that a lot of people even have a hard time identifying Englishmen seperate from Americans - while you would imagine that people surely know the difference between the British accent and the American accent!

Andem

dev
Mar 24, 2002
Larnaka
Re: RE: Americans travelling as Canadians

Rick van Opbergen said:
Keep in mind that people are familiar with Canada and the US, but that when a Canadian comes to Europe, he will not be identified as a Canadian, but as a North American (or even American) in the eyes of many (taking in consideration the Canadian does not have the Canadian flag sewed on his backpack). I know that a lot of people even have a hard time identifying Englishmen seperate from Americans - while you would imagine that people surely know the difference between the British accent and the American accent!

Rick,

While some Europeans are not very advanced in English and cannot differentiate very much between accents, there is a large amount of the population that will immediately assume "American!!!!" when they hear our accents. Europe is current inundated in some form by American media on the television.

It is the same with many countries across the world when one travels abroad; Australia is one of many places that automatically things "American!!!!" when they hear our accent. Canada is 1/10th the size of the population of the US, so in all likelyhood, assuming American would make perfect sense.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

There are several Canadian accents, Rick. Newfoundland is the most pronounced, but even between Saskatchewan and Manitoba there is a slight difference in the way we speak.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

That depends. The Saskatchewan and Alberta accents are very close to the Montana accent. That could be easily mistaken.

People from BC tend to sound just like people from Seattle.

People from Manitoba speak a lot like people from western Minnesota.

Some people in the Ottawa Valley (rural parts) sound like they could be from Tennessee...kind of a drawl...as long as you aren't aware of what a Tennessee accent really sounds like. Most people in Ontario sound like they could be from Ohio though. People from our Maritime provinces tend to sound a lot like people from New England.

There is not really a lot of difference between the way we speak when compared with our closest neighbours. Most American accents, the ones that really come to mind, are specific to geographic locations, usually in the south, because they have had different influences. Along our common border though? No real differences.

zenfisher

House Member
Sep 12, 2004
Seattle
Interesting...I have always thought people from Ottawa, always sound like a really slight Bostonian accent.

I had a Prof at RRCC ( he was British) who always wondered why there were so few North American Accents.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg

It's just some of the rural people in the Ottawa Valley, Zen. Most people from Ottawa sound vaguely east-coastish. I think that's likely the Irish/Scottish influence.

We do have relatively few accents here. There are more than most people acknowledge, but I really only noticed that when I was travelling a lot.

If you look at England though, the accents change massively over a very small geographic area. We have a slight change over a very large area.

Rick van Opbergen

House Member
Sep 16, 2004
The Netherlands
www.google.com
I think that's the case in the entire European continent compared to immigrant countries like Canada, the US, Australia and New Zealand. For example, where I live, in the Netherlands, there are dozens of dialects covering a relatively small area. I live in the province of Brabant, and just 30-40 kilometres from here there is the border of the province of Limburg, and I can tell you, when they speak dialect, that's just jibberish to me. They have a lot of German influences in their dialect, while we, in Brabant, have a lot of Flemish influences. I think this diversity is also the same in other European countries.