America may penalise Iraq if it fails to stop the violence

Logic 7

Council Member
Jul 17, 2006
President George W Bush met his top generals to discuss the deteriorating situation in Iraq as it was reported that America is considering punishing Baghdad if it fails to meet deadlines to stop the violence.

The new policy would mark a dramatic shift from the previous position that progress could only be determined by the "situation on the ground".

Instead benchmarks would be set covering progress in the Iraqi military, police and economy that if missed would result in the imposition of "penalties" by Washington.

These would include "changes in military strategy", which could mean troop cuts or redeployment within Iraq, or the removal of ministers deemed incompetent or corrupt.

The revelation comes after Mr Bush indicated on Saturday that the US, which suffered one of its deadliest months in Iraq since the invasion in March 2003, intended to change its tactics.

"Our goal in Iraq is clear and unchanging: our goal is victory," he said in his weekly radio address. "What is changing are the tactics we use to achieve that goal.

the rest
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2006/10/23/wirq23.xml

Their ignorance and arrogance astound me, i am speechless.......

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Oh that's wonderful!

Impose penalties on a country that has already been virtually destroyed. Civil war is raging. The rebuilding has been just about non-existant because of the sectarian violence that pervades the place. Now they want to threaten the puppet government with penalties because of unmet benchmarks or goals set by the Americans. Unless the Americans nuke the place, I can't see any changes taking place in the immediate future.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
What a imaginative way to cut and run. Rove must've been at this meeting.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
What a imaginative way to cut and run. Rove must've been at this meeting.

Ain't it just. I'm still trying to figure out a penalty that people, who are so desperate, they are willing to blow themselves up to get the invaders out of their country, will listen to. Maybe Bush will threaten to pull out.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Ain't it just. I'm still trying to figure out a penalty that people, who are so desperate, they are willing to blow themselves up to get the invaders out of their country, will listen to. Maybe Bush will threaten to pull out.

Absolutely. GWB always says they won't leave until the job is complete. So Bush will claim the Iraqi government isn't doing enough. Penalty = US pullout, therefore US job is complete. Reason for mess becomes failure of Iraq government.

No wonder the meeting was so long. There was a lot of spin to work out.

EastSideScotian

Stuck in Ontario...bah
Jun 9, 2006
Petawawa Ontario
Great Idea Bush.

Cause alot of **** in a Country you invaded on lies, and then tell tem if they dont solve the violance you created, you are going to leave.

ottawabill

Electoral Member
May 27, 2005
Eastern Ontario
I don't know if that is more moronic or that people wil not see through it?? You are going to punish a hanging by the thread government because they are unable to do what the mighty U.S. could not do in 5 years? geez!!!

Love the U.S. but they have put a complete moron in Office..

btw there are more American's who can't stand G.W. Bush then there are Canadians in existance!