Alberta threatens over equalization

Jul 9, 2006
Saskatchewan
Re: RE: Alberta threatens over equalization

Said1 said:
You might have heard of this...it's called jobs. And yes dear, they do have them out east, it's a new trend hitting west of you. And when those jobs dry up, which they will, you'll be coming east, just like everyone else has done in the past. :roll:

Oh, really? That's funny cause I've heard that the jobs out East are drying up faster then you can say King Ralph. I guess the recession in the USA isn't hurting mini America as much as I had heard it would. It's also kinda funny that you think jobs are a new trend here, given that Saskatchewan is known for being one of the hardest working provinces in Canada...go figure, hey? And don't worry about me, Doll, I set myself up quite nicely with a career path that will aid me in attaining employment anywhere I want to be, and while I did live in Ottawa for a while, and quite enjoyed my time there, I can honestly say the East is not for me...at least not for more then the occasional visit.

nelk

Electoral Member
May 18, 2005
atlantic canada
The incredible income generated by oil sands is mind-boggling.

At least since the energy embargo event of 1973 and combined knowledge about population and world economic growth, anyone with foresight
could foresee and anticipate this development.

It is still stunning to see the realisation though.

What also has been forewarned about is the incredible environmental
impact this extraction of oil has and still continuous to do.
Is it safe to assume that the impact will still plague this world long after
Albertans etc soaked up the last drop?

Are there moneys set aside to counter environmental degradation, even if that where humanly possible?
Or is this one of the many human "gold rushes" to plunder and move on?

We know also that the input energy needed to produce crude oil
of this source is far too high for the energy equivalent obtained.

That process of using relatively clean natural gas for gaining and pre-processing the crude oil and its eventual consumption contributes to incredible amount of greenhouse gases.
Can any money significantly reverse this?

How much is the royalty to the Alberta province anyway?
If 1% of (what base figure?) is the royalty (as per some vague source) and Alberta is swimming in money, where is the other 99% going?
Sure there are good jobs with good pay checks, but what does the total balance sheet look like?
If this is an all Canadian resource (and I agree with that view) what do we really know about the financial aspects?

I am a bit leery about “fascism” but the weak legged attitudes from provincial and federal Government is not helpful to assert and protect our resources into the future.

Or should we all hold still and keep doing things until the demise of civilisation is timed in unison?
:?:

bluealberta

Council Member
Apr 19, 2005
Proud to be in Alberta
#juan said:
I'm old enough

to remember when Alberta was a "have not" province and was receiving money from equalization payments for about nine years. I also recall a large payment to Alberta beef producers because of the mad cow problems. Now they are whining about "their" oil money. Nice.

I'm old enough too. And I remember my dad telling me that there was very little, if any, federal money in the first baby steps taken by Alberta when oil was first discovered and developed. That initiative was undertaken by the province and the individuals involved.

As far as beef goes, you would do well to remember that Eastern Canada has a large beef industry as well which was also assisted under the mad cow program. I also know about the subsidies that went to the Autopact in Ontario, and the continuing subsidies to Bombardier in Quebec. Funny thing, that. Quebec touts Bombardier as one of their success stories, but if it was not heavily subsidized by the ROC (us) and did not get preferential treatment when it comes time to allocate contracts, it probably would not survive.

If oil resource is to be included, then everything from all provinces should also be included in the equalization formula. Hydro from Quebec, auto production from Ontario........you get the idea.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
My only point was that Alberta had also been on the receiving end of the equalization payments. Since Ralph seems to be determined to sell all the oil as fast as he can, what will you have in twenty years besides a wrecked northern ecology.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: Alberta threatens over equalization

Western Canadian Chick said:
Said1 said:
You might have heard of this...it's called jobs. And yes dear, they do have them out east, it's a new trend hitting west of you. And when those jobs dry up, which they will, you'll be coming east, just like everyone else has done in the past. :roll:

Oh, really? That's funny cause I've heard that the jobs out East are drying up faster then you can say King Ralph. I guess the recession in the USA isn't hurting mini America as much as I had heard it would. It's also kinda funny that you think jobs are a new trend here, given that Saskatchewan is known for being one of the hardest working provinces in Canada...go figure, hey? And don't worry about me, Doll, I set myself up quite nicely with a career path that will aid me in attaining employment anywhere I want to be, and while I did live in Ottawa for a while, and quite enjoyed my time there, I can honestly say the East is not for me...at least not for more then the occasional visit.

I'm not worried about you. The booms go east and west, one day you'll be old enough to write about it.