Abortion

OakServe

Nominee Member
Apr 22, 2005
Vancouver B.C., Canada
Said1 said:
Not to be facetious or anything, but your birthday celebrates the day you were born, not the day you were conceived.

I realize that. But do not people synonymize their birthday-derived age with their actual length of existence?

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital
Re: RE: Abortion

OakServe said:
Said1 said:
Not to be facetious or anything, but your birthday celebrates the day you were born, not the day you were conceived.

I realize that. But do not people synonymize their birthday-derived age with their actual length of existence?

Not that I know of, do you?

OakServe

Nominee Member
Apr 22, 2005
Vancouver B.C., Canada
I had hoped this would be obvious enough, I mean when you say your 32 years old you are deriving that number from your birthday, but in actuality you are older than your birthday-derived age. That was my point and i'm sorry it escaped you and resulted in you making a wasteful post.

Said1

Hubba Hubba
Apr 18, 2005
Das Kapital

OakServe said:
I had hoped this would be obvious enough, I mean when you say your 32 years old you are deriving that number from your birthday, but in actuality you are older than your birthday-derived age. That was my point and i'm sorry it escaped you and resulted in you making a wasteful post.

It didn't escape me, I was saying I didn't think that most people did this when thinking about their age. I don't.

OakServe

Nominee Member
Apr 22, 2005
Vancouver B.C., Canada
It's not deliberate. People synonymize their birthdays with how long they've been alive, but they do it passively without intent or plan. When people think of their birthday-derived age, they don't consider the fact that their life began before birth and so their age is actually longer then their birthday-derived age. My point was that people don't consider this, like you, and that's why redefining the start of life would render everyone's birthday-derived ages inaccurate.

PoisonPete2

Electoral Member
Apr 9, 2005
What are these 'hate links'? I love what the Hezboula have done in Lebanon. I wish to donate to them. Yet, if I do I would be breaking the law in Canada, because a jellyfish Prime Minister gave into American pressure and put Hezboula on a Terrorist list. But I can donate to the Israeli government that, in territory it Occupies, silences effective opposition with hit squads. Is there anywhere that allows frank and open discussion?

GreenGreta

Electoral Member
Jun 5, 2005
Lala Land
Hasn't the Gov't given a timeline on this. If a fetus is past the seven month range and dies, it requires a name and a proper burial. Is this a person? yes. He has a name. A fetus at one month, doesn't have a name but since he has a heart and soul, is he a person? Yes.

All death isn't murder.
And as I used to say, is it still abortion if he's 12?

I think not

Hall of Fame Member
Apr 12, 2005
The Evil Empire
With all due respect Greta, just because a life doesn't have a name doesn't mean it isn't a life. It is life. We're hiding behind our thumbs saying it isn't life. I still believe abortion should be legal.

Gordon J Torture

Electoral Member
May 17, 2005
Daz said ...
Why, cause his view differed from your? What kind of debate can we have if there are no opposing views?

I agree.

Daz, although we have had several disagreements, I must say you appear to be one of the more logical of regular posters on this board.

As far as abortion: I don't see much a difference between it, and taking antibiotics to kill bacteria in your body. If both are unwanted by the individual at hand, bacteria or an embryo, they are both the same.

The only difference is: By taking antibiotics in a non life-threatening situation, (broad spectrum in particular), you may be contributing to an entire bacterial strain becoming resisant, which can now share resistance genes with other bacterial strains, thus, creating incurable bacteral infections that may kill millions of people worldwide.

albertzz

Jul 5, 2005
since it's a moral matter and we're not sure when life starts (well some claim to be sure but at the very least it's controverisal) then I think perhaps it should be left to the one most directly affected by it. On the one hand if it really is/should be considered a human I find it hard to condone its murder, but on the other if it isn't/shouldn't be considered one I find it hard to condone making someone suffer for 9 months (oh, and the rest of their life) because of someone else's view which in turn is by no means clearly true. So until we can come up with some fairly sound arguments for or against it, (though perhaps we never will) I think that we should leave it to the mother to decide.

in a somewhat different vein - I find non-vegetarian pro-lifers to be inconsistent. I mean, if you think that at, say 3 months, the mere fact of having a heartbeat (and maybe brain activity - conceivably) means that you are entitled to be respected and should live why do you not afford the same protection to far more conscious animals? Is it the fact that the foetus has potential? But is that not simply a "speciesest" calims - ie basing something's worth on the mere fact of belonging to a certain group (without necessarily possessing the relevant characteristics that make you like that group in the first place). When we do that with race it's called racism.

anyway

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

no1important said:
Well Since Sandra Day O'Connor is resigning (as is a second judge) from the US supreme court, Abortion will probley be illegal in America within a year or so, as "W" will appoint a couple of good old neo con boys to the bench.

O'Connor Resigns

Things are looking up

Andygal

Electoral Member
May 13, 2005
BC
And then woman will start dyng becxause they had to do it themselves with a coat hanger and they bled to death.

Yes, that would be such a good thing wouldn't it.

albertzz

Jul 5, 2005
they don't HAVE to do it. if they think that they won't be able to provide, and the state does not allow abortions then the state should step up to fill the gap.

Vanni Fucci

Senate Member
Dec 26, 2004
8th Circle, 7th Bolgia
the-brights.net

albertzz said:
they don't HAVE to do it. if they think that they won't be able to provide, and the state does not allow abortions then the state should step up to fill the gap.

Yes...becuase having state run orphanages filled with unadopted kids would be like some 1920's Father F*cking Flannigan movie...and who wouldn't want that... :roll: