A wonderful operating system - alinux

canuckster

May 19, 2005
I found alinux again the other day. It was formerly Peanut linux. I had used it years ago and I remember it was well ahead of the competition then.
It was created by a young Ontario fellow. He supports his product with his own software packages and updates. He also has a forum for direct help. He is quick to answer questions and to give remedies. It is a one man show. This is pretty amazing considering the resources other popular linux distros have.
Alinux comes with a myriad of programs for almost every use. It specializes in multimedia and has all the tools available to enjoy whatever the web has to offer.
This isn't a Debian, Redhat, or Slackware clone. He has taken elements from these and incorporated them into his own.
I'm extremely impressed with what this young Canadian has accomplished. I am enjoying alinux immensely.

http://ibiblio.org/peanut/

Judland

Electoral Member
Hey, that's great, canuckster. Thanks for the info.

Kanotix is in the same boat.... a one-man show who always seems to be on-line answering user questions on his dedicate forums and IRC.

I feel that my time supporting/promoting Kanotix in any way that I can is time well spent.

Seems to be, the fewer the resources, the better the support. :D

Judland

Electoral Member
At this moment, the only comment I have is that aLinux needs work done it's website. It's not very informative regarding the details of the distro. (at least I couldn't find a link to "more info") and a link to some user forums would be nice.

I couldn't find reference to it on the aLinux site, but Distrowatch mentions that aLinux uses RPM package handling. Technically, I'd consider this a Red Had/Fedora based variant, if this is the case.

Personally (and this is personally, mind you), I'm not all that fond of RPM based distros. I've had too many issues with dependency problems using RPMs. But that's just me.

canuckster

May 19, 2005
I'm not fond of RH/Fedora/Mandrake either. I know his older builds of a few years ago were built on RH. He has incorporated synaptic as some of the others have now too. Any software I have installed has gone well.

I also use Kanotix. A fine distro. Kano is great. He does spend a lot of time supporting his product.

There are many terrific distros out there but I thought one of our own deserved some recognition.

http://www.flightsimhq.org/peanut/phpBB2/index.php

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
RE: A wonderful operating

I do not expect Linux on a CD for free. But 39.95 seems steep for a linux distro.ut still cheaper than XP. It only cost me 14 for Kanotix cd and I recieved Ubuntu for free with 2 cd's (one for hard drive install and a "live cd") and no postage cost either.

I run Kanotix but now and then I will use Ubuntu's live cd.

Judland

Electoral Member
Re: RE: A wonderful operating system - alinux

canuckster said:
There are many terrific distros out there but I thought one of our own deserved some recognition.

It's great to read about how our fellow Canadians are contributing to the world of open source.

It also shows what an individual can accomplish when they're not confined by proprietary barriers.

Let's hope that software patents are NEVER allowed under Canadian law.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca
Re: RE: A wonderful operating system - alinux

canuckster said:
I just downloaded it. I was not charged anything.

Ok. Thats good. Sorry if I came across as a whiner. He desrves credit for creating his own distro.

It is amazing how a small group of people (Or one person in this case) can create an operating system that is better, safer and more secure than any Microsoft operating system, who has a huge budget to create an O/S with 100's if not 1000's of people working on it. And with microsoft "Windows"always come out all buggy and patches and fixes and security patches are out within hours of their operating systems being released. Like wtf is that? Shouldn't happen with all that "talent" microsoft allegedly has.

Maybe Gates needs to hire some "open source" people, to show him how it is suppose to be done? Nah.

canuckster

May 19, 2005
Microsoft just hired one of the Gentoo linux head honchos. B. Gates is no fool. He sees the power of open source. (I'm wondering why he picked Gentoo. Gentoo is not an operating system for the masses. In fact, I thought it sucked.)

I'm wondering how he is going to combat the rising popularity of open source. Will he find a way to make money from it? Will he take advantage of it and incorporate it into his own developements? Is he just sitting back letting everyone do the work for free and once its reaches a certain level, he'll just buy up everyone and everything connected with open source?
He should be worried. I can see his software becoming less and less popular.

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

The thing is his operating systems are so expensive, over 400 with tax for the full version, then you have to buy virus scanners, Plus (which is a scam)word/office (which is over 200 if you buy the "equivilent" of what you get with open office) basically you spend a lot of money to get accessories for microsoft operating systems. Most of the stuff is expensive or if its free it only works for 15-30 days and you do not get all the features.

With XP and the cost for it and all the extras you have to buy you can spend 1000 bucks easy (if you went legit and not pirated programs). With linux? ziltch, for all the same(if not better), and a safer more stable o/s, that you can change anytime unlike XP, thats the benefit of open source. Plus so many distro's to chose from, one for anyones needs.:)

Btw:

Microsoft on Tuesday issued three "critical" patches for flaws that could allow a malicious attacker to take remote control of a computer.

One fix deals with vulnerabilities in Internet Explorer, while the others tackle problems with HTML Help and Server Message Block in the Windows operating system. The security bulletins were three of 10 released by the software giant as part of its monthly patch cycle.

OpnSrc

Electoral Member
Feb 17, 2006
Western Canada
www.purevolume.com

I was using gentoo - emerge packaging system is a heck of a lot nicer than redhat/fedora... Gentoo is also a pain in the ass to install.. but the end result can be quite nice if you don't break your o/s first and like the tinkering that goes with a "from scratch" install...

I switched to Ubuntu ... and I'll never switch to another distro. Ubuntu is truely an amazing Distro.

Anyway you cut it... Linux is still just a kernel.

As for BSD... I was a part of EkkoBSD project while it was active (fork of OpenBSD) ... Theo (OpenBSD) has made more contributions to a UNIX variant than anyone else I have ever heard of.

But if you really want interesting and Canadian... try out QNX RTP