A chip off the old duck: Granny digs up potato which looks like a duck

Blackleaf

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 9, 2004
50,676
2,034
113
A grandmother has made a splash in her local village after digging up a peculiar potato - shaped exactly like a duck.​

Dorothea Clinton, 73, was left stunned when she unearthed the unusual crop from the allotment near her home in Peaton, Shropshire.​

In fact, the retired farm worker has become so enamoured with the Mallard-shaped vegetable, she is refusing to eat it - and has proudly put it on display in her shed.​


Top of the bill: Proud Dorothea Clinton has put her duck-shaped potato pride of place in her garden shed after discovering it in the dirt at her allotment in Peaton, Shropshire​

She said: 'I just pulled it out the ground and I thought "Ooh, it’s a duck". It’s just so lovely, all the other potatoes were normal but the duck was unmistakable.​

'We normally eat everything we produce from the garden but I can’t bring myself to eat this one, it’s got a kind of strange sentimental value to me now.

'It’s got pride of place in the shed, where it will stay until it rots away, I can’t bring myself to eat it.'​

The widower, who shares gardening duties with her son Alan, 50, couldn't help but ruffle feathers in her local community by showing off her harvest. ​


Spudulike: Dorothea has refused to cook up her beloved potato, and has been showing it to the residents of Peaton, Shropshire​

She adds: 'Everybody loves it, it’s become a bit of a local celebrity now. To me it isn’t really a potato, it is a duck, I think it’s absolutely wonderful.​

'It made me smile, so hopefully it will make others, too.'​

Dorothea isn't the first person to come across a bird-like batch of potatoes.​


Thrilled: Student Emily Gaffney was so pleased with her supermarket discovery last year, she called him Bill​

Last year student Emily Gaffney also became so attached to a duck-shaped potato she spotted in her local supermarket, she saved it from the bin and called him Bill.​

'I was unpacking my shopping and when I saw the shape of it I couldn't believe my eyes.​

'It looks exactly like a little duck, the resemblance is uncanny.'​