A Canadians Plea

manda

Council Member
Jul 3, 2005
swirling in the abyss of nowhere la
Hi guys.

I have sent this letter into my local paper, but I would like to post it here, in hopes that others pass it on.....let us all take a stand and give voice to the rapidly developing country wide crisis. Food prices are going to increase, clothing, everything! All because these companies need to adjust prices for transport.

Dear Editor;

I am writing you because I don't know who else to talk to; or at least I don't know anyone else that I could talk to who would listen. I want it known that I am not particularly angry about the recent price hikes in gas, they say it couldn't be helped, but I am afraid.

I am afraid that I will have to choose to either feed my family or heat my home this winter, I am afraid that I will have to miss work because I have no gas to get there, and then I will lose pay because I didn't go in. I am afraid that I will lose my credit rating because I will have to choose between oil, insurance, student loans, or to buy presents for Christmas for the 3 children in my home.

There just isn't enough money in our pockets to be able to pay for these hikes. My partner and I chose a home in the country to rent because the price was lower, but now must seriously contemplate uprooting our children because we may not be able to afford to heat our home and drive to work.

I would like to point out that we are not frivolous in the least, but money can only be stretched so thin over a budget before holes begin to form. Our income has just barely touched the next tax bracket, so our Child Tax benefit and the G.S.T credit were reduced. We must now pay out an enormous amounts of money to the government in gas taxes, but get slapped in the face in return. Does the government not care that they are forcing the working public into abject poverty, do they realize that the average citizen such as myself is worked into a frenzied state of panic because they are unable to provide for their families? I predict that crime,depression and suicide rates will soar this holiday season, because I know that I am not the only one who is left feeling desperate. I have a decent paying job (hence the next tax bracket), so just imagine how those who are making minimum wage with a family to support are feeling.

So apparently, Canadians mental well-being is no longer that important, so long as the governments pockets continue to be lined.

Blame it on the Hurricane, blame it on certain high profile politicians, blame it on anyone or anything you want, the price gouging continues to happen to the average citizen. I plead to anyone who has the power to effect change: DO SOMETHING! The average Canadian can not continue to exist in these conditions.

Don't let your country sink into the dark depths of poverty. Please heed the pleas of your people.

Jo Canadian

Council Member
Mar 15, 2005
PEI...for now

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
Canada needs to regulate prices, at least when it comes to heating homes. If that means a new NEP, then so be it. The Harper/Martin/Klein insistence that we have to look after our neighbour to the south and their corporate cronies before we look after ourselves is flawed at best.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The gas price hike effects everyone. My wife and I took early retirement a few years ago. We are pretty well organized and we had planned on getting a new Toyota Camry this fall. I think the Camry is going to turn into a Corrola because of the cost of gas. If we think about this in terms of our family budget, we were spending about a hundred and thirty dollars a month on gas for the car. The price hike was about twenty percent so our gas cost will go up to approximately a hundred and sixty dollars a month. If it stopped there it wouldn't be too bad, but it won't. We should expect just about everything to go up by at least ten percent as everyone adjusts to the rising fuel costs.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
You should get one of those little scooters, #juan.

I have to go back to Saskatchewan. We have to take the camper this time because my niece is getting married and there's a shortage of beds.

The last trip cost a couple hundred in gas. This one will cost even more.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Rev

We thought of a "Smart Car" but They seem so light and fragile you probably wouldn't survive a collision with anything bigger than a moped, let alone a full size car.

Reverend Blair

Council Member
Apr 3, 2004
Winnipeg
The smart cars will have to meet the same safety standards as other cars. I haven't seen any crash test data on them, but they'll meet minimum standards for sure. Since they are made by Mercedes, I wouldn't be surprised if they surpass those standards by quite a bit.

annabattler

Electoral Member
Jun 3, 2005
Our reiance on natural fuels,which are finite,should not come as any surprise. It is up to all governments to invest in alternate energy sourceswhich are sustainable.
The latest gas hikes affect all sectors of society. I took a cab yesterday...the driver was bemoaning the fact that since she rents the cab,she is responsible for the gas...it comes out of her pocket. Her taxi rental does not go down,and since the cost per kilometer is regulated by the local municipality,she cannot increase her charges.
Most goods are transported by truck....groceries,retail items will all increase in cost...the retailers will not absorb the increases.
Home heating will skyrocket as well.And let's keep in mind the federal government is reaping the benfits of increased pump prices as well.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
The smart cars will have to meet the same safety standards as other cars. I haven't seen any crash test data on them, but they'll meet minimum standards for sure. Since they are made by Mercedes, I wouldn't be surprised if they surpass those standards by quite a bit.

I don't know Rev, other cars, for the most part, have fairly large crush zones front and back so that some of the energy of the collision is dissapated on things other than busting up the occupants. The "Smart Car" is almost flat on both ends. But you raise a good point. I'll look a little deeper.