8 Billion Dollar Facelift Proposed for Montreal

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA
Re: RE: 8 Billion Dollar Face

splinters said:
I could always mail you a copy. But yunnow..

hmmmm ... that would wind up being a pretty expensive proposition on your part, splinters ... would probably eat up all your allowance ... for the extra postage

splinters said:
WAIT! I could getcha some scans! :D

That would be a good idea, if you could figure out a way around the copyright laws ...

splinters

Sep 3, 2005
Montreal Kebec
RE: 8 Billion Dollar Face

Huh. You oughts know better than to think a sixteen year old webjunkie cares much about copyright laws.:D
Besides, it's not exactly like they can mail it to you.
Either that or I hold it up to my webcam.

(meanwhile Nascar calls the RIAA)

Vitamin C

Nominee Member
Sep 14, 2005
Ontario
Is Lucien Bouchard really a separatist? He is a sovereigntist, but I don't know about separatist.

It was him who insisted on the wording of the last referendum in Quebec, wording that made it seem like people might be voting to negotiate a new arrangement with Canada that didn't necessarily involve a separation.

Because of that wording Lucien Bouchard and Jacque Parizeau (hardcore separatist) become bitter enemies.....And that wording also had a major affect on the outcome of the referendum.......accidental? Who knows.

Politics in Quebec is much more complicated than Federalist vs Separatist.

And if it is Quebecois money I don't see the hypocracy of a separatist wanting their own money because of how they want to spend it.

splinters

Sep 3, 2005
Montreal Kebec

Nascar_James said:
splinters said:
From a leftist like me? Hah. You'd rather eat rocks.

Well, considering the paper is left leaning ... I'd be eating rocks anyways ...

Well it's not like left leaning's that terrible. I mean, it's better than "everything's right as rain".

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

splinters said:
Nascar_James said:
splinters said:

Well it's not like left leaning's that terrible. I mean, it's better than "everything's right as rain".

hmmmm ... I guess it all depends on where you live, Splinters. Since left-leaning is the mainstream in Montreal, you feel right at home. Here in Oklahoma, right-leaning is the rule of day. A good paper here is the Tulsa Beacon.

Check it out at www.tulsabeacon.com

splinters

Sep 3, 2005
Montreal Kebec

Nascar_James said:
splinters said:
Nascar_James said:
splinters said:

hmmmm ... I guess it all depends on where you live, Splinters. Since left-leaning is the mainstream in Montreal, you feel right at home. Here in Oklahoma, right-leaning is the rule of day. A good paper here is the Tulsa Beacon.

While many of our news sources are what you'd consider quite liberal, our high concentration of conservative immigrants, apired with the older conservative french population and the anglo protestant conservative population, the actual bulk of us aren't even close to how left I am. Maybe when the generation clickover thing happens.
[/i]

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

splinters said:
Nascar_James said:
splinters said:
Nascar_James said:
splinters said:

While many of our news sources are what you'd consider quite liberal, our high concentration of conservative immigrants, apired with the older conservative french population and the anglo protestant conservative population, the actual bulk of us aren't even close to how left I am. Maybe when the generation clickover thing happens.
[/i]

If Montreal has such a high percentage of conservative minded individuals, why in blue blazes do they keep electing the Liberals? I can't for the life of me figure it our, Splinters. I do know that some immigrants are conservative (such as the Eyetalians). Same thing happened in the West Island. In the mid 90's the Conservatives were somewhat popular there.I recall Preston Manning had an office in the West Island. I don't know what happened afterwards??

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Well the Bloc came to be and the bloc are basically leftist and ran the neocons out of town I guess. Looks like PQ will win next provincial election.

Is that why you left Montreal Nascar? Too left for you?:)

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

no1important said:
Well the Bloc came to be and the bloc are basically leftist and ran the neocons out of town I guess. Looks like PQ will win next provincial election.

Is that why you left Montreal Nascar? Too left for you?:)

Yeah, I did leave cause society there was way too far left to suit me. Otherwise, it's a nice city. How'd you guess? Another reason was the Catholic Church I grew up attending and did my baptism, first communion and confirmation at has had it's enrollement shrink drastically since I recall from my early childhood. Folks there have for some reason lost their faith. Unusual?!?!

no1important

Time Out
Jan 9, 2003
Vancouver
members.shaw.ca

Why Oklahoma and not Alberta? I see you are happy where you are but did you really find it necessary to leave the country?

HOW MANY PEOPLE GO REGULARLY TO WEEKLY RELIGIOUS SERVICES?

These numbers are somewhat suspect. Church attendance data in the U.S. has been checked against actual values using two different techniques.

The true figures show that only about 20% of Americans and 10% of Canadians actually go to church one or more times a week. Many Americans and Canadians tell pollsters that they have gone to church even though they have not. Whether this happens in other countries, with different cultures, is difficult to predict.

The United States has a higher level of church attendance than any other country which is "at a comparable level of development."

53% of Americans consider religion to be very important in their lives. This compares with 16% in Britain, 14% in France and 13% in Germany.

The importance of religion has been declining in developed countries.

In those countries which are "experiencing economic stagnation and political uncertainty," the importance of religion is high.

This is from 95-97 survey. So I would say even less now.

INDEPTH: CATHOLICISM IN CANADA
Church Attendance

Weekly attendance among Canada's 14 million Catholics has been on a steady decline for decades. A survey of 3,500 Canadians conducted in 2000 shows that outside Quebec, 32 per cent go to church regularly, compared to 75 per cent in the 1950s. In Quebec, which accounts for about 24 per cent of Canada's population, the weekly attendance has dropped to 20 per cent, from 88 per cent.

Those numbers are from 2003. I would say lower now.

Did You Really Go To Church This Week? Behind the Poll Dat

Religion in Canada

According to the Canada 2001 Census [1] (http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/products/analytic/companion/rel/contents.cfm), 72% of the Canadian population list Catholic or Protestant as their religion. By far the largest denomination is Catholicism. Those who listed no religion account for 16% of total respondents. In British Columbia, however, 35% of respondents reported no religion - more than any single denomination and more than all Protestants combined.[2] (http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/Products/Analytic/companion/rel/bc.cfm).

some good links.

Nascar_James

Council Member
Jun 6, 2005
Oklahoma, USA

no1important said:
Why Oklahoma and not Alberta? I see you are happy where you are but did you really find it necessary to leave the country?

HOW MANY PEOPLE GO REGULARLY TO WEEKLY RELIGIOUS SERVICES?

These numbers are somewhat suspect. Church attendance data in the U.S. has been checked against actual values using two different techniques.

The true figures show that only about 20% of Americans and 10% of Canadians actually go to church one or more times a week. Many Americans and Canadians tell pollsters that they have gone to church even though they have not. Whether this happens in other countries, with different cultures, is difficult to predict.

The United States has a higher level of church attendance than any other country which is "at a comparable level of development."

53% of Americans consider religion to be very important in their lives. This compares with 16% in Britain, 14% in France and 13% in Germany.

The importance of religion has been declining in developed countries.

In those countries which are "experiencing economic stagnation and political uncertainty," the importance of religion is high.

This is from 95-97 survey. So I would say even less now.

INDEPTH: CATHOLICISM IN CANADA
Church Attendance

Weekly attendance among Canada's 14 million Catholics has been on a steady decline for decades. A survey of 3,500 Canadians conducted in 2000 shows that outside Quebec, 32 per cent go to church regularly, compared to 75 per cent in the 1950s. In Quebec, which accounts for about 24 per cent of Canada's population, the weekly attendance has dropped to 20 per cent, from 88 per cent.

Those numbers are from 2003. I would say lower now.

Did You Really Go To Church This Week? Behind the Poll Dat

Religion in Canada

According to the Canada 2001 Census [1] (http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/products/analytic/companion/rel/contents.cfm), 72% of the Canadian population list Catholic or Protestant as their religion. By far the largest denomination is Catholicism. Those who listed no religion account for 16% of total respondents. In British Columbia, however, 35% of respondents reported no religion - more than any single denomination and more than all Protestants combined.[2] (http://www12.statcan.ca/english/census01/Products/Analytic/companion/rel/bc.cfm).

some good links.

Read this link, no1. It gives a good idea on the type of social climate we have down here. One note though .. it says only 70 percent of folks in Oklahoma attend church weekly. Some folks attend bi-weekly, so the figure is actually over 80%.

Oklahoma Profile

This is very encouraging for anyone living within the North Eastern United States, or anyone from Canada for that matter who wants to move to a climate which is very socially conservative.