386 refuses to die

Rosebud

Nominee Member
Feb 6, 2012
My old 386 computer tower still has a pulse! I found the DOS 6.2 diskettes as well, and on my hard drive I found the patch files for it.

I started it up yesterday since 2004 and it fired up. Before that I think it was the late 90's I started it.

I have 2 monitors for it also. I expected a dead battery would convince me to trash it. I still had my serial mouse, monitor, my KB and it booted it up OK from C. I thought it would be good to see my old APP developement sorftware,Foxpro2,Delphi Clipper, and QuickBasic exe compiler. I was surprised to see that my old source code was present.

I was thinking that if I couldn't fire it up, I would parallel the battery with another of the same rating just to get it to start up. I knew the resistance of the old battery would drain out of the older battery, but I thought that I may have enough juice for it to charge up some capacitors anyway just to get it going.

Since I still have the serial cable for a 80 col DM printer, I'll be on the lookout for that too. That's all I need.Anyone change a motherboard battery? I was thinking of putting an exterior battery holder on instead and pick up the leads from the motherboard to the outside.

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
My old 386 computer tower still has a pulse! I found the DOS 6.2 diskettes as well, and on my hard drive I found the patch files for it.

I started it up yesterday since 2004 and it fired up. Before that I think it was the late 90's I started it.

I have 2 monitors for it also. I expected a dead battery would convince me to trash it. I still had my serial mouse, monitor, my KB and it booted it up OK from C. I thought it would be good to see my old APP developement sorftware,Foxpro2,Delphi Clipper, and QuickBasic exe compiler. I was surprised to see that my old source code was present.

I was thinking that if I couldn't fire it up, I would parallel the battery with another of the same rating just to get it to start up. I knew the resistance of the old battery would drain out of the older battery, but I thought that I may have enough juice for it to charge up some capacitors anyway just to get it going.

Since I still have the serial cable for a 80 col DM printer, I'll be on the lookout for that too. That's all I need.Anyone change a motherboard battery? I was thinking of putting an exterior battery holder on instead and pick up the leads from the motherboard to the outside.
yes but can it be used to surf the net? 🖥️ ;)