2012 - 2013 IIHF Junior Hockey

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
we'll watch that one, 5:30 a.m. I believe. Haven't caught a game yet, just highlights from all

games.

5:30 a.m. it is talloola. It is also being re-broadcast at 9 a.m. and then later at 4:30.

Watching the Spengler Cup right now. Canada is ahead 3 to 1 with less than a minute to play in the 2nd. Patrick Kane scored the latest goal for Canada. Spezza has one and I missed who got the other goal. Corey Schneider is in goal for Fribourg. Dubnyk for Canada. :canada:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
5:30 a.m. it is talloola. It is also being re-broadcast at 9 a.m. and then later at 4:30.

Watching the Spengler Cup right now. Canada is ahead 3 to 1 with less than a minute to play in the 2nd. Patrick Kane scored the latest goal for Canada. Spezza has one and I missed who got the other goal. Corey Schneider is in goal for Fribourg. Dubnyk for Canada. :canada:

It was a good game....ended up 5 to 1 for Canada. I felt a little sorry for Cory Schnieder but most of the goals were on shots
I thought he should have stopped...........What do I know???

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Talk about 'standing on guard' for Canada! Our kids via Jenner, Ritchie and Danault did it in a big way today. Happy New Year to our Canadian Team - top of the standings. Ryan Nugent-Hopkins - tops in scoring. Malcolm Subban, though not as busy as he could have been, was great in goal again letting in only one goal by the Russians!

Was not really impressed with the Russians in this game, don't know whether it was because our kids were just that much better or that the Russians couldn't seem to get their act together at times. Huge lack of discipline by the Russians led to two PP goals by our kids during a 5-minute major. The last period was owned by the Canadians.

The empty net goal was simply icing on the cake.

ROCK ON CANADIAN JUNIORS! HAPPY NEW YEAR! :canada:

missed the USA-Canada game

anyone know when the replay is on?

You might have to go online and see if you can find a replay there, gopher. TSN replays the games twice on the same day as the live game but I don't know about any rewinds after that as the tourney is still on.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
good game, but I hope the coach drills it into their heads that the game was much closer than the score

indicated, as the two goals scored in the first period were on a 5 minute major penalty, so without

that penalty it is possible that the score could have been 1-0 russia end of the first.

if they meet russia again, they better be ready, cause 5 on 5, the game was very even, at least the

parts I watched, although I didn't see entire game, kept falling asleep again cause it was the early

time, so maybe I missed some things.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
good game, but I hope the coach drills it into their heads that the game was much closer than the score

indicated, as the two goals scored in the first period were on a 5 minute major penalty, so without

that penalty it is possible that the score could have been 1-0 russia end of the first.

if they meet russia again, they better be ready, cause 5 on 5, the game was very even, at least the

parts I watched, although I didn't see entire game, kept falling asleep again cause it was the early

time, so maybe I missed some things.

It might have been an entirely different game had the Russians not given up those early goals, talloola. The Canadians were overall the better team on the night but the Russians had many chances - just nothing to show for them, Malcolm Subban was mostly responsible for that. I missed the live game so without turning on the news or going on the net, I sat down at 9:00 and watched the entire game without a clue to the outcome.

Canada just won the Spengler Cup again - first time since 2007. Much to celebrate tonight and a Very Happy New Year to you. :canada:

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
It might have been an entirely different game had the Russians not given up those early goals, talloola. The Canadians were overall the better team on the night but the Russians had many chances - just nothing to show for them, Malcolm Subban was mostly responsible for that. I missed the live game so without turning on the news or going on the net, I sat down at 9:00 and watched the entire game without a clue to the outcome.

Canada just won the Spengler Cup again - first time since 2007. Much to celebrate tonight and a Very Happy New Year to you. :canada:

yeah, we watched that game. so wierd to see patrick kane and big joe thornton playing for switzerland, was
very confusing for a while.

good for canada.

happy new year to you

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Minnesota: Gopher State
Missed the replay of USA-Canada but did watch today's match of Canada-Russia. Jon Drouin well deserved the MVP for his control of the game. That stupid major penalty really screwed it for the Russians and that's how Canada scored 2 PPG's. Earlier, I watched half of the USA win over Slovakia 9-3. Looks like we still have a chance for the finals. Got my fingers crossed.

BTW, I was in a chat room and several folks agreed with me that IIHF is the best brand of hockey there is. We just don't like the fighting and want to see a game won on skill only. No brutality. That's why I don't miss the NHL but to each his/her own.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Missed the replay of USA-Canada but did watch today's match of Canada-Russia. Jon Drouin well deserved the MVP for his control of the game. That stupid major penalty really screwed it for the Russians and that's how Canada scored 2 PPG's. Earlier, I watched half of the USA win over Slovakia 9-3. Looks like we still have a chance for the finals. Got my fingers crossed.

Hey gopher..........do you get TSN on the net? They tend to keep vids of prior games on their sight especially ones of interest to Candadians...........might be worth a look. I missed the US vs Slovakia game - sounds like they had all their pucks together for that one. Hope Seth Jones and Miller got involved.

As to the Canadian vs Russian game - no one gives a team of the caliber that is the Canadian team a 5 minute gift and not know that their chances of coming out on the other end down at least one are almost guaranteed. Two was simply showing the Russians that we meant business. The Canadians rocked on offense. They rocked on defense. They rocked on goal. They played, what for them, was a pretty clean game. They handled the puck with skill, finesse and determination. They most effectively shut down Yakopov and Gregorich. In short, they were the better team on the night. What the future holds is yet to be detemined.......but I would say these Canadian kids have all they need to go all the way.

BTW, I was in a chat room and several folks agreed with me that IIHF is the best brand of hockey there is. We just don't like the fighting and want to see a game won on skill only. No brutality. That's why I don't miss the NHL but to each his/her own.
I was saying to a fellow hockey fan the other day, that I don't care if the league settles this year or not anymore. I have been watching hockey in one form or another every since the lock-out first loomed. And I agree with you folks on the chat room, IIHF hockey truly rocks. You know the under-17 is coming up on Friday.........and the women's hockey is still ahead in the NY......we've got all kinds of great hockey. :canada:

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Really good article by Bob McKenzie on our Canadian Juniors.

MCKENZIE: JENNER DOMINANT FOR CANADA IN TOURNAMENT DEBUT

BOB MCKENZIE

Maybe the most gratifying thing for coach Steve Spott and Team Canada was the way they played in the third period when they were protecting a two-goal lead against a very fierce opponent.

The cycle game that they got going – especially from the Boone Jenner-Brett Ritchie-Phillip Danault line – just dominated the game for long stretches. That is just ground-and-pound. If you're wearing down the Russian team in their own end, they're not a threat to score a goal.

Having Boone Jenner back in the line-up really keys things for Canada. To have 13 forwards at their disposal again is a big advantage.

He was able to step up and absolutely dominate physically and he's been playing like this all season long for the Oshawa Generals.

As I've said countless times: If the NHL season had begun in October, I don't think he'd be in the Columbus Blue Jackets' line-up. But, the way he's played in Oshawa this year – where he's looked like a man amongst boys, and he's done the same thing in this tournament – he could be in the NHL real soon.

Experience Matters

We've been saying all tournament that the number one advantage Team Canada has over other teams in this tournament is that they've got a 19-year-old Ryan Nugent-Hopkins who's able to participate in this tournament in his last year of eligibility and he's dominating offensively.

He had three assists on the day and is leading the tournament in scoring. For Steve Spott to have the instincts to put Jonathan Drouin on Nugent-Hopkins' wing and to have it pay off the way it did, that got Canada rolling in the early-going and it created offence from the power play.

Under-manned

The Russians were already down one man due to injuries. Andrei Sigarev – who's a real good player on the top line with Nail Yakupov and Alexander Khokhlachev didn't play in this game due to injury – and early on Valeri Nikushkin drills Tyler Wotherspoon from behind into the glass.

That's a five-minute major and a game misconduct and might lead to a one-game suspension for Sigarev.

You're already down one forward in Sigarev, you lose a guy like Nikushkin who has been very good for them – he's draft eligible this year and likely to go pretty high in the first round – it's tough.

Power Surge

As soon as the game against the Americans ended - where they had that five-on-three power play that didn't generate much of anything – Steve Spott was really unhappy with the team trying to be way too cute, not getting pucks to the net and not getting pucks back to the point. There was too much happening below the goal line.

Team Canada really learned its lessons from the American game in this one. Everything was generated from the blue line. Time after time after time they put the puck to the point and put people to the net and good things happened.

It was a very simple game plan: less passing, more shooting, more traffic and pucks to the net. That's how you beat Russian goalie Andrei Makarov.

McKenzie: Jenner dominant for Canada in tournament debut

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Mowich,

Hey gopher..........do you get TSN on the net? They tend to keep vids of prior games on their sight especially ones of interest to Candadians...........might be worth a look.

I watch IIHF on VIPBox website where I work as a mod. They also show pro hockey but I don't watch that. The chat room was in justin.tv and I do not have cable or satellite. The more amateur hockey, the better! :)

McKenzie ~

You just reminded me of one of my favorite players John (Pie) McKenzie:

John McKenzie (ice hockey) - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I went to youtube to see some of his highlights but all you see is him fighting. I thought he was a good technical player as well since he worked the corners and generated much puck control. Didn't know that he turned into a college man after his playing days were over but he was quite memorable back in the day.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Unfortunately the Americans skated all over the Canadians, winning the game 5 - 1. Our goaltender Subban, looked terrible, but
he was not the only problem. You can't expect to win games with one goal. Oh well, there is always next year.....

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
I didn't watch the game but did listen to ray ferraro's take, as he was right there.

he said the canadians were poor from the first shift, looked slow and nervous, said subban was
OK, didn't play bad.
Canadians had '8' giveaways in their own end in the first period alone
No, it wasn't goalies fault, it was the whole team.

He said americans were very fast and defensively played great, and their goalie was on top of his game,
stopped everything.

Just the way it goes sometimes.

The other game must have been really good, sweden won in a shootout.

Should be a very good final.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Congratulations to Team USA.............they played the better game and deserved the win. Very disappointed in our guys..........I guess the bye came back to bite them. Hopefully they can pull it together for the Bronze medal game.

gopher

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 26, 2005
Unfortunately the Americans skated all over the Canadians, winning the game 5 - 1. Our goaltender Subban, looked terrible, but
he was not the only problem. You can't expect to win games with one goal. Oh well, there is always next year.....

Not entirely Subban fault - he was screened on the first three goals by his own defensemen. Replays show that he never even saw the puck headed in his direction. The fourth one should have been stopped by him. As for the Canadian short handed goal, it was scored after the referee blew the whistle or it would have been a shut out. Yanks played a real tough and skilled game of ice hockey. Hopefully, we can duplicate that success this weekend.

And thanks to the folks here for their good sportsmanship. I was told on justin.tv that several Canadians displayed a very bad attitude in the chat room. I watched the replay several hours later and am glad to have missed the bad talk.

GREAT ice hockey in the IIHF tourny.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
Congrats to the USA. Hope you whip the Swedes.

As I heard Ray Ferraro say this morning, for years everyone wanted a more competitive junior tournament and now it is competitive, which is a good thing. And perhaps Canada needs to make some strategic changes in the future to adjust to how everyone has adjusted to them.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Congrats to the USA. Hope you whip the Swedes.

As I heard Ray Ferraro say this morning, for years everyone wanted a more competitive junior tournament and now it is competitive, which is a good thing. And perhaps Canada needs to make some strategic changes in the future to adjust to how everyone has adjusted to them.

yeah, and lots of imports are playing in the canadian junior hockey leagues, so in one way we can thank
our system for many top players, not all canadians.

Mowich

Hall of Fame Member
Dec 25, 2005
Eagle Creek
Not entirely Subban fault - he was screened on the first three goals by his own defensemen. Replays show that he never even saw the puck headed in his direction. The fourth one should have been stopped by him. As for the Canadian short handed goal, it was scored after the referee blew the whistle or it would have been a shut out. Yanks played a real tough and skilled game of ice hockey. Hopefully, we can duplicate that success this weekend.

And thanks to the folks here for their good sportsmanship. I was told on justin.tv that several Canadians displayed a very bad attitude in the chat room. I watched the replay several hours later and am glad to have missed the bad talk.

GREAT ice hockey in the IIHF tourny.

No, it wasn't all on Malcolm gopher but he didn't play well and has to take his lumps like the rest of the guys. He will not be in the Bronze medal game as Jordan Binnington will fill the position.

There will always be 'fans' who can't take the loss, gopher.........pay no attention to them. I give credit where it is due and the US were superb against our guys. It is all about the sport for me and just getting to watch some really good hockey. Hope the US gets the Gold.