2 Calgary teens accused of wearing KKK costumes to ‘white party’

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
2 Calgary teens accused of wearing KKK costumes to ‘white party’
Bryan Passifiume, QMI Agency First posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 01:46 PM EST | Updated: Friday, February 27, 2015 01:51 PM EST
CALGARY — Two teen sisters who reported two St. Francis High School students after they allegedly showed up to a house party wearing Ku Klux Klan-style robes and hoods say the school board only took action after the story made the evening news.
Rose and Sarah Ghebrezghi, members of Calgary’s Eritrean community, were disappointed with the reaction they said they got when they tried to express their concerns to officials at St. Francis High School.
“We first brought it to their attention Monday morning,” former student Sarah, 18, said. “On Tuesday, me and my sister talked to the vice-principal, he said he didn’t know about it, but said he would act on it and follow up.”
That was the last the sisters heard from the school, she said. It wasn’t until the story made the news that the school board acted, she said.
Media reported the Calgary Catholic School District (CCSD) had disciplined the two Grade 11 students.
The CCSD hasn’t responded to QMI Agency’s request for comment.
The controversy began last Friday after photos of two boys, allegedly St. Francis students, decked out in Klan-style robes were distributed through the photo messaging app Snapchat.
The two students were invited guests at a student-organized “white party,” as was Rose Ghebrezghi, 15.
Popularized by celebrities like Sean (Puffy) Combs, partygoers are required to attend decked out head to toe in white.
The Ghebrezghi sisters say the biggest problem was the partygoers’ reaction to the Klan outfits.
“When they walked in, everyone laughed,” Sarah said.
She alleges some of the guests complimented the boys, who posed for pictures before finally being asked to remove the robes.
“I can understand that the kids didn’t understand what their actions meant, and don’t believe that it’s an actual problem,” she said.
Rather than see the two students punished, Sarah wants them — and Calgary — to know how wrong their actions were.
“I don’t know how anyone can put that costume on and say they didn’t mean to offend anybody,” she said.
“It shouldn’t be taken lightly.”
Sisters Sarah (R) and Rose Ghebrezghi show a photo in their home in Calgary, Alta., on Thursday, Feb. 26, 2015. Rose is in Grade 11 at St. Francis High School; Sarah, who graduated from that school last year, reported to the school a party photo in which an alleged student is depicted wearing a costume resembling Klu Klux Klan attire. Lyle Aspinall/Calgary Sun/QMI Agency

2 Calgary teens accused of wearing KKK costumes to ‘white party’ | Canada | News

Locutus

Adorable Deplorable
Jun 18, 2007
well what other kind of a party were they suppose to wear them to if not a white one. I just don't get all hubbub.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
Not that what the kids were doing was right but .... why are they disciplined at school for something outside school grounds/activities?

B00Mer

Make Canada Great Again
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.canadianforums.ca
Not that what the kids were doing was right but .... why are they disciplined at school for something outside school grounds/activities?

It says it in the story;

"The two students were invited guests at a student-organized “white party,” as was Rose Ghebrezghi, 15."

Think the whole issues is much to do with nothing.. who cares, I think it's funny.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It says it in the story;

"The two students were invited guests at a student-organized “white party,” as was Rose Ghebrezghi, 15."

Think the whole issues is much to do with nothing.. who cares, I think it's funny.

Student organized is not the same thing as school organized or school activity.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
I worked with a guy who showed up at work on Hallowe'en dressed as Adolf Hitler- he played the part perfectly.................the boss was not amused! :)