Water on Mars

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
It would be great to find liquid oceans on Mars.....As a kid I read E. Doc Smith SciFi stories about Barsoom and his Mars was a lot more friendly than what we have found on our Mars. It is possible that there is water on mars existing as permafrost, but liquid water, even underground, would have a vapour pressure far higher than the measly few bars of atmospheric pressure on that planet so it would evaporate immediately.

Would it be immediate? I realize that the boiling point of water would be very low but would it be 0c? How does one perform the calculations to determine what the boiling point would be with that atmospheric pressure?

I think I have also heard a theory that Mars at one point had more atmosphere. The problem I have with that theory is that it doesn't have more atmosphere today because it is too small to hold a bigger atmosphere. What would have made the distant past any different?

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
I think you are right...but water does not exist in large quantities on the surface. There is a bit of water ice at the poles but that is all. "The average air pressure at the surface of Mars is 6 millibars (compared to 1013 millibars on Earth)." Any liquid water would boil away instantly.
would that not create some sort of steam, water vapour creating some sort of atmospheric condition. The gravity would keep it part of Martian enviroment...no?..and there is no atmosphere...no?..dunno not an expert..
but i guess pretty good*wink*

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
My famly being Finnish we love our suanas and we get it right hot and my blood doesnt boil in those things lol

Well, the reason it doesn't is the atmospheric pressue on earth keeps the boiling point of water at sea level to be 100c. However, climb Mount Everest and boil water at the top, it will be lower than 100c when it starts boiling.

But even at the top of Everest, the atmospheric pressue is much more than Mars. If you set up a Sauna on Mars, you would certainly get your blood boiling. :)

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
Are martians visually impared.:p

Depends which Mars we are talking about. I understand that a severe sandstorm, might have winds of around 400 miles an hour....now that wouldn't do anyone's eyes any good.:roll::smile:

May 28, 2007
Honour our Fallen
Depends which Mars we are talking about. I understand that a severe sandstorm, might have winds of around 400 miles an hour....now that wouldn't do anyone's eyes any good.:roll::smile:

I hear ya....

Timesies:Jaun i did appreciate your link and read it....i was just lobb'in in a lol..which I do from time to time8O...just saying in case....

thats about as sensitive as i'm gonna get today so savour the moment....

So where does the wind come from...that would imply some sort of gaseuos state atmosphere...am i missing sumtin....a scolding or a good spanking would be welcome jaun...haven't had any abuse in days....LOL!

Last edited:

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
tides and getting arrested

Winds on Mars are driven by heat from the sun just like they are on Earth, The winds on Mars develope the high speeds because the atmosphere is so thin. In Bradbury's book, "The Martian Chronicals", he talked about large desert sailing boats with wheels that travelled over the desert at hight speed. Be great but you still can't breath CO2, which is pretty much all the Martian atmosphere is.

#juan

Hall of Fame Member
Aug 30, 2005
there is an atmosphere

so wouldnt that mean people would boil if unprotected on the surface of mars?

If a man was left unprotected on the surface of Mars, he would likely die of suffocation first. If the spaceship he was on was carrying Earth pressure of 14.7 psi and a man was ejected onto the surface unprotected from that pressure, the results would likely be ugly. Spaceships would normally carry a pressure much lower than that......

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
If a man was left unprotected on the surface of Mars, he would likely die of suffocation first. If the spaceship he was on was carrying Earth pressure of 14.7 psi and a man was ejected onto the surface unprotected from that pressure, the results would likely be ugly. Spaceships would normally carry a pressure much lower than that......

But if he was decompressed properly, had on an oxygen mask, but did not wear a spacesuit, his blood would boil.