spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
James Gunn to direct 'Superman: Legacy,' aiming for 2025
Author of the article:Associated Press
Associated Press
Lindsey Bahr
Published Mar 15, 2023 • 1 minute read

James Gunn is directing a Superman film.

“Superman: Legacy,” which Gunn also wrote, is also set for a July 11, 2025, he and his co-chair and fellow CEO of DC Studios Peter Safran announced Wednesday.

The film, Gunn said, deals with the superhero’s journey to make sense of both his aristocratic Kryptonian heritage and his small town, midwestern upbringing as Clark Kent.

“It has been a long road to this point,” Gunn wrote on Twitter Wednesday. “I was offered Superman years ago – I initially said no because I didn’t have a way in that felt unique and fun and emotional that gave Superman the dignity he deserved. … Then a bit less than a year ago I saw a way in.”

Gunn also said the release date is the same as his late father’s birthday.

“He was my best friend,” Gunn wrote. “He didn’t understand me as a kid, but he supported my love of comics and my love of film and I wouldn’t be making this movie now without him.”

“Superman: Legacy” will be the first film in the new iteration of the connected DC Universe, followed by Matt Reeves’ “The Batman Part II,” which is set for an Oct. 2025 launch.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
James Gunn to direct 'Superman: Legacy,' aiming for 2025
Author of the article:Associated Press
Associated Press
Lindsey Bahr
Published Mar 15, 2023 • 1 minute read

The film, Gunn said, deals with the superhero’s journey to make sense of both his aristocratic Kryptonian heritage and his small town, midwestern upbringing as Clark Kent.
Why the hell not? They have college courses in Star Wars.

This is why we can't have nice things (unless the Chinese or the Indians design and build them for us).

spaminator

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 26, 2009
David Corenswet set to play Man of Steel in 'Superman: Legacy'
'They are not only both incredible actors, but also wonderful people,' writer-director James Gunn said following the news

Author of the article:Mark Daniell
Published Jun 27, 2023 • Last updated 12 hours ago • 4 minute read

James Gunn has cast David Corenswet and Rachel Brosnahan as Clark Kent/ Superman and Lois Lane in his upcoming cinematic reboot of the famed DC superhero.

After a lengthy search, that included such other names as Nicholas Hoult, Tom Brittney, Emma Mackey and Phoebe Dynevor, Deadline reports that Corenswet and Brosnahan have landed the coveted roles in Gunn’s upcoming Superman: Legacy.

Gunn (who wrote and directed the Guardian of the Galaxy films, The Suicide Squad and the original HBO Max series Peacemaker) will write and direct Superman: Legacy. The title will be the first under Gunn’s stewardship of DC Studios, which he is co-leading with producer Peter Safran.

The newly installed duo will lead a revamped DC cinematic slate that will include a new Batman movie (Batman: The Brave and the Bold), Swamp Thing and more.

According to The Hollywood Reporter, sources said Gunn had screen-tested actors in pairs for the roles with Hoult acting alongside Brosnahan; Brittney teaming up with Dynevor; and Corenswet doing his scenes with Mackey. Their initial tests were done with the male actors playing Kent.

Hoult, Brittney and Corenswet also tested in costume alongside Mackey.

With Superman and Lane cast, there is now a shortlist for villain Lex Luthor (Alexander and Bill Skarsgard are two names making the rounds, while THR notes that Hoult might go for the part after producers were also considering him to play the antagonist).

Interestingly, Hoult was one of the final contenders to play Batman in Matt Reeves’ 2022 reboot of the Dark Knight.

In taking up Superman’s cape, Corenswet replaces Henry Cavill, who had played the role since 2013’s Man of Steel. Corenswet is best known for his roles in The Politician and the indie-horror Pearl.

Brosnahan has won an Emmy for her work on Amazon’s The Marvelous Mrs. Maisel.

Gunn shared the casting news on Twitter, calling Corenswet and Brosnahan “incredible actors” and “wonderful people.”

Earlier this year, Gunn said the first chapter in his new DC Universe will be called Gods and Monsters, with the first feature being Superman: Legacy in July 2025.

“It’s not an origins story. It focuses on Superman balancing his Kryptonian heritage with his human upbringing,” Safran said at a press event in Los Angeles in January. “He’s the embodiment of truth, justice and the American way. He’s kindness in a world that thinks of kindness as old fashioned.”

In a 2019 interview with Entertainmnt Weekly, Corenswet revealed he had dreams of one day getting to play Superman. “My pie-in-the-sky ambition is definitely to play Superman,” he said. “I would love to see somebody do an upbeat, throwback [take on Superman]. I love the Henry Cavill dark and gritty take, but I would love to see the next one be very bright and optimistic.”

Meanwhile, after announcing his return as the Man of Steel following a cameo in last year’s Black Adam, Cavill broke the news to fans that he would not be returning to the role in December.

“It’s sad news, everyone. I will, after all, not be returning as Superman. After being told by the studio to announce my return back in October, prior to their hire, this news isn’t the easiest, but that’s life,” Cavill wrote. “I respect that James and Peter have a universe to build. I wish them and all involved with the new universe the best of luck, and the happiest of fortunes.”

Gunn said that since his film will focus on a earlier part of Superman’s life, it wasn’t a fit for Cavill.

“In the initial stages, our story will be focusing on an earlier part of Superman’s life, so the character will not be played by Henry Cavill,” Gunn wrote in a Twitter post. “But we just had a great meeting with Henry and we’re big fans and we talked about a number of exciting possibilities to work together in the future.”

In January, Gunn clarified that Cavill wasn’t fired and that he was “d—ed around” by previous studio heads.

“I like Henry. He’s a great guy,” Gunn told The Wrap and a small group of reporters as he unveiled his plans for the DCU. “I think he’s gotten d—ed around by a lot of people, including former regimes at this company. But this Superman’s not Henry for a number of reasons.”

Superman: Legacy is aiming to kick off a cinematic universe not tied to the DC films started by Zack Snyder’s Man of Steel, Gunn said.

“We didn’t fire Henry,” Gunn said. “Henry was never cast. Henry was in a cameo and that was the end of his story. A lot of people made assumptions out of that that weren’t necessarily true. But for me, it’s about who do I want to cast as Superman and who [do] the filmmakers who are making the movie want to cast, and for me, for this story, it isn’t Henry.”

mdaniell@postmedia.com

Twitter: @markhdaniell