Joe Buck and Troy Aikman caught on a hot mic dissing military flyovers at NFL games

B00Mer

Keep Calm and Carry On
Sep 6, 2008
Rent Free in Your Head
www.getafteritmedia.com
Joe Buck and Troy Aikman caught on a hot mic dissing military flyovers at NFL games

Fox broadcasters Joe Buck, left, and Troy Aikman unwittingly shared their feelings about military flyovers with viewers of last week’s Packers-Buccaneers game.(Lynne Sladky / Associated Press)

https://www.latimes.com/sports/stor...troy-aikman-hot-mic-dissing-military-flyovers

What the public doesn't seem to understand is, a pilot MUST log flight hours specifically to keep their skills sharp for when they are needed during armed conflict! A flight simulator doesn't do that!!!

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
What the public doesn't seem to understand is, a pilot MUST log flight hours specifically to keep their skills sharp for when they are needed during armed conflict! A flight simulator doesn't do that!!!

And the only sky available for these flight hours is over football stadiums on Sunday?

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
And the only sky available for these flight hours is over football stadiums on Sunday?
No, of course not. But if you can get your pilots the hours they need, and get in some free recruiting advertising at the same time, I'd call that smart.

I can't swear the thunder of the jets wasn't one of the reasons I chose the Air Force when I joined up.

IdRatherBeSkiing

Satelitte Radio Addict
May 28, 2007
Toronto, ON
No, of course not. But if you can get your pilots the hours they need, and get in some free recruiting advertising at the same time, I'd call that smart.

I can't swear the thunder of the jets wasn't one of the reasons I chose the Air Force when I joined up.

I am not against fly overs. I just was questioning that this was the only way to get ones hours in.

Tecumsehsbones

Hall of Fame Member
Mar 18, 2013
Washington DC
I am not against fly overs. I just was questioning that this was the only way to get ones hours in.
It's not. They also do patrol flights, attack runs on flying and strafing ranges, either mock or live-ammo, air-to-air combat training, a lot of things.

But some percentage of mandatory flying hours is just regular ol' flying, and some of it is formation flying. A flyover is actually a pretty cheap way to get in a formation-flying hour, particularly as it ain't exactly a long haul from whatever naval air station they flew out of to Tampa, FL.

They were F/A-18s (Navy), but I imagine they fairly often have F-16 flyovers, seeing as how McDill AFB, with a full wing of F-16s, is about five miles down the road.