The Lincoln Project

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary
We? I'm not, I'm not american, didnt think you were either. As far as Canada is concerned, neither trump or Biden matter.

Oh I'm not an American, I'm Canadian. I think who is President of the US does matter to Canada on issues like trade, pipelines etc. We share integrated economies, trade and investment. Also we have hundreds of thousands of people who cross our respective border daily along with goods and services. So who the President is and how that relationship sits with the leadership of Canada can have an effect on our country.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Oh I'm not an American, I'm Canadian. I think who is President of the US does matter to Canada on issues like trade, pipelines etc. We share integrated economies, trade and investment. Also we have hundreds of thousands of people who cross our respective border daily along with goods and services. So who the President is and how that relationship sits with the leadership of Canada can have an effect on our country.

Doesnt matter who is president, it doesnt help Canada. Pipelines are a prime example, biden has promised to nix TCP. Look what trump has done in his first term. It's not what's best for the continent, it's how much can I get from these pains in my ass north and south of me.

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary
This is sour grapes from a minority of republicans. Not much different than Bernier up here.

Minority? Perhaps, but some see it as a growing movement or at least it's made to appear that way. But yes, it is typical of any election to have resistance within your own party.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Minority? Perhaps, but some see it as a growing movement or at least it's made to appear that way. But yes, it is typical of any election to have resistance within your own party.

And there were those that felt Bernier whining and starting his own party was a death knell for the conservatives. Its sour grapes. They are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary
Doesnt matter who is president, it doesnt help Canada. Pipelines are a prime example, biden has promised to nix TCP. Look what trump has done in his first term. It's not what's best for the continent, it's how much can I get from these pains in my ass north and south of me.

But doesn't your point support what I said? It does matter who is President to our integrated economies/trade relations. Biden promising to nix TCP will have an effect here in Canada and especially Alberta. So yes, it does matter.

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary
And there were those that felt Bernier whining and starting his own party was a death knell for the conservatives. Its sour grapes. They are cutting off their nose to spite their face.

Some Republicans believe that the only way to save the Republican party is to vote Democrat, I can see the logic. And Bernier forming the PPC was a death knell, certainly. Couple that with that photo of him and members of the Northern Guard and he was done for.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
But doesn't your point support what I said? It does matter who is President to our integrated economies/trade relations. Biden promising to nix TCP will have an effect here in Canada and especially Alberta. So yes, it does matter.

It got shut down under trump also. Plus there were other trade wars that he started with us. Like I said, its always how much can we get from the little guys north and south of us.

Softwood lumber tariffs, California not paying for water or electricity. Us supplying them with electricity, gas, and oil and getting screwed.

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary
It got shut down under trump also. Plus there were other trade wars that he started with us. Like I said, its always how much can we get from the little guys north and south of us.
Softwood lumber tariffs, California not paying for water or electricity. Us supplying them with electricity, gas, and oil and getting screwed.

If I recall correctly Obama denied it, Trump reversed that very shortly after taking office and it was later defeated in court, halting it from moving forward.

The other talking points you mention support the fact that who is in leadership does matter.

Retired_Can_Soldier

The End of the Dog is Coming!
Mar 19, 2006
Alberta
I would definitely trust the "established political elite" who are ONLY looking to keep their "eliteness" to themselves.

Why do so many people think that a guy who was born with a silver spoon in his mouth knows or cares anything about the common man.

Both of these idiots are unfit and unqualified to hold office.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
If I recall correctly Obama denied it, Trump reversed that very shortly after taking office and it was later defeated in court, halting it from moving forward.

Like I said, makes no difference with who the president is, republican, democrat, mickey mouse, or donald duck.

gerryh

Time Out
Nov 21, 2004
Looks like we will agree to disagree then. It's all good.

Your post proved it didnt matter.

Obama denied it, trump reversed it, us court shut it down, biden is on record he will ensure it stays shut down.

So, how does it matter what president is in power?

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary
Your post proved it didnt matter.
Obama denied it, trump reversed it, us court shut it down, biden is on record he will ensure it stays shut down.
So, how does it matter what president is in power?

If it hadn't been defeated in court it would have made a difference, leadership matters.

Mockingbird

Council Member
Nov 27, 2019
Calgary
This:

The GOP needs to hit rock bottom:

https://thebulwark.com/the-gop-needs-to-hit-rock-bottom/

Donald Trump undermined the institution of the free press, urging his followers to disbelieve everything except what came from the leader. And Republicans were silent. He weakened respect for law enforcement and the courts, suggesting that he was the victim of a “deep state” and that “so-called judges” need not be respected. And Republicans were silent. He enriched himself and his family. And Republicans were silent. He introduced doubt about accepting the results of elections. He scorned allies and toadied to dictators. And Republicans were silent. He ran the executive branch like a gangster, demanding personal loyalty and abusing officials, like the hapless Jeff Sessions, who merely followed ethics rules. He ignored the law to get his way on the border wall. Silence again. He violated the most sacred norms of a multi-ethnic society by encouraging racial hatred. Crickets. He made the United States guilty of separating babies from their mothers. And Republicans were silent. He undercut the credibility and honor of the Republican party by failing to dissociate it from kooks and criminals. And Republicans were silent.

When one person shows courage, others are emboldened. If more Republicans had shown a willingness to stand for basic political hygiene, for elemental human decency earlier in this awful era, it might have become contagious.

But since that did not happen, the only thing that will send a message to the Republican party commensurate with its moral abdication over the past four years is to lose in a landslide. Not just Trump, but his silent enablers too.

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
Why we cannot afford another diddling Democrat in that role .

pgs

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 29, 2008
B.C.
This:

The GOP needs to hit rock bottom:

https://thebulwark.com/the-gop-needs-to-hit-rock-bottom/

Donald Trump undermined the institution of the free press, urging his followers to disbelieve everything except what came from the leader. And Republicans were silent. He weakened respect for law enforcement and the courts, suggesting that he was the victim of a “deep state” and that “so-called judges” need not be respected. And Republicans were silent. He enriched himself and his family. And Republicans were silent. He introduced doubt about accepting the results of elections. He scorned allies and toadied to dictators. And Republicans were silent. He ran the executive branch like a gangster, demanding personal loyalty and abusing officials, like the hapless Jeff Sessions, who merely followed ethics rules. He ignored the law to get his way on the border wall. Silence again. He violated the most sacred norms of a multi-ethnic society by encouraging racial hatred. Crickets. He made the United States guilty of separating babies from their mothers. And Republicans were silent. He undercut the credibility and honor of the Republican party by failing to dissociate it from kooks and criminals. And Republicans were silent.

When one person shows courage, others are emboldened. If more Republicans had shown a willingness to stand for basic political hygiene, for elemental human decency earlier in this awful era, it might have become contagious.

But since that did not happen, the only thing that will send a message to the Republican party commensurate with its moral abdication over the past four years is to lose in a landslide. Not just Trump, but his silent enablers too.
As Walter is fond of saying , Prog Shit .