What's your gripe with Grapes?

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net
I have heard the same thing about him from mutual acquaintances in Toronto. And I agree with Anna...I think he's hilarious and quite entertaining.
Yeah, kinda reminds me of those soap opera fans who get so wrapped up in the drama that they think the actors are just like their characters. lol
As our oldest likes to put it, "It ain't real. It's in the script".

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
Wifey met the guy in the 80s I think. Said he's a really nice guy who is not at all like his tv persona. She said his tv persona is funny and reminds her of a sports-minded Archie Bunker wearing the fabric off some 1960s mobile home couch.
I've never heard Cherry called "Grapes" before.

he's been called grapes for many years.

Bar Sinister

Executive Branch Member
Jan 17, 2010
Edmonton
I am sure Mr. Cherry is a very nice man in person, but he should stick to hockey and should not be using HNIC as a podium for his right wing views. He might know how to diagnose a play, but he is ignorant of most of the great social issues he expounds upon and has frequently made to on-air comments that can only be construed as being little short of racism. He was hired as a colour commentator and has turned his position to comment on social and political issues that are clearly beyond his understanding, such as the war in Afghanistan.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
LOL!!!

The man is a buffoon and a noted failure-which of those attributes appeals?

And why?
Neither, because he's neither...;-)

Wifey met the guy in the 80s I think. Said he's a really nice guy who is not at all like his tv persona. She said his tv persona is funny and reminds her of a sports-minded Archie Bunker wearing the fabric off some 1960s mobile home couch.
SCB likened it to the seat covers from my 69 Beetle.

And it's true, he's a very cool dude in person.

As for his on air persona, he's a straight shooter. He call's them like he sees them. And he most certainly is more subdued in person.

Yeah, kinda reminds me of those soap opera fans who get so wrapped up in the drama that they think the actors are just like their characters. lol
As our oldest likes to put it, "It ain't real. It's in the script".
Your oldest seems smarter then some members LG, good work!

why do I dislike Cherry?....... cause you like him.
I think I get where you're coming from GH...very funny...;-)

I think he was referring to CDNBear, who started the thread and likes the guy. I detest him, lol.
That's obvious. You and I don't see eye to eye, and I don't see eye to eye with several people here. And in some cases it get's heatedly obvious, but having never met any of you, I can't "detest" any of you, for in the end, I only know one aspect of you.

But then again, I'm more a realist, then most it seems.

I am sure Mr. Cherry is a very nice man in person, but he should stick to hockey and should not be using HNIC as a podium for his right wing views. He might know how to diagnose a play, but he is ignorant of most of the great social issues he expounds upon and has frequently made to on-air comments that can only be construed as being little short of racism. He was hired as a colour commentator and has turned his position to comment on social and political issues that are clearly beyond his understanding, such as the war in Afghanistan.
I actually agree with you. HNIC is not the venue to be pushing ones personal opinions on political issues, unless of course you're of the opinion, those political issues have a direct reflection on the ability to do what you do...

Kind of like his support for the troops, whom most fully understand, make sure we can still play the game...;-)

His commentary on visors and the "French guys and Europeans" who wear them, has been proven to be correct.

He's since admitted that not joining the US in Iraq, was a good idea. But reminds people his intent was to focus on the fact that Canada didn't support its Allies. Not to mention the excellent debate that that commentary created between him and Ron. Besides that, free speech is for everyone, even... actually... especially, for those we disagree with.

Whether you agree with his views or not, he is a Canadian icon, he is a hero to many, both in the field of hockey, amongst our Troops and those going through tough times with sick children.

People with far less service to this country have won the Order of Canada, like Valari Pringle. Because they tow the line and follow the script.

I like Grapes just the way he is, brash, loud and oft over the top.

Last edited:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
Don cherry is a big mouth clown.....jackets....need I say more? I'm surprised that he doesn't come out in big floppy shoes as well.:roll:

Couldn't play the game.

Can't coach the game he professes to know everything about.

He's a bigot and prejudiced.

He's biased towards the Leafs and Boston on a national broadcast.

He can't count.

He's a bully.

He promotes a part of the game that doesn't need to be part of the game and that has been prov-en time and time again in international play like the Olympics.

He does a commercial on the radio for Magic Windahs (his pronunciation) that makes me want to blow my brains out.....don't get your hopes up though.;-)

I no longer watch the CBC because of him and the other morons on HNIC....I watch the game on RDS or TSN.

The only thing I will give Don credit for is his emotional tributes to each and every brave soldier who has given their life in Afghanistan.....for that I commend him.

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Don cherry is a big mouth clown.....jackets....need I say more? I'm surprised that he doesn't come out in big floppy shoes as well.:roll:

Couldn't play the game.

Can't coach the game he professes to know everything about.

He's a bigot and prejudiced.

He's biased towards the Leafs and Boston on a national broadcast.

He can't count.

He's a bully.

He promotes a part of the game that doesn't need to be part of the game and that has been prov-en time and time again in international play like the Olympics.

He does a commercial on the radio for Magic Windahs (his pronunciation) that makes me want to blow my brains out.....don't get your hopes up though.;-)

I no longer watch the CBC because of him and the other morons on HNIC....I watch the game on RDS or TSN.

The only thing I will give Don credit for is his emotional tributes to each and every brave soldier who has given their life in Afghanistan.....for that I commend him.
At least you're balanced and fair...;-)

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
At least you're balanced and fair...;-)

Risus

Genius
May 24, 2006
Toronto
That's obvious. You and I don't see eye to eye, and I don't see eye to eye with several people here. And in some cases it get's heatedly obvious, but having never met any of you, I can't "detest" any of you, for in the end, I only know one aspect of you.
You took me wrong. I was implying that I detest Cherry, not you!

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
To be honest, I agree with some of what you said. He wasn't a great coach, his endorsement of aggressive or violent play is misguided, but at least you have the open mindedness to given dues where you see applicable.

That's more then I can say for others.

But good or bad, he is a fixture of the sport and his endorsement and promotion of hockey throughout the world is of a significant benefit both the sport and our country.

BTW: Aren't you biased towards the leafs too? I know I am...:lol:

Avro

Time Out
Feb 12, 2007
Oshawa
So is that a bad thing when Grapes does it? :lol:

It's one of his endearing qualities in my eyes.

Hmmmm....you make an excellent point there.....it's an enigma wrapped up in a mystery....the yin and yang if you will.

I must meditate on this grasshopper.;-)