UN Denied Private Access to Bradley Manning

JBeee

Time Out
Jun 1, 2007
Jason Ditz
April 11, 2011

United National Special Rapporteur on Torture Juan E. Mendez expressed deep disappointment Monday following the news that the Pentagon has refused to allow him unrestricted access to Pfc. Bradley Manning. The UN had sought to investigate repeated claims of Manning’s mistreatment in custody.

My request is not onerous,” Mendez insisted, saying that his mandate requires him to have unmonitored access to detainees in such cases. The Pentagon insisted Mendez would be allowed to meet Manning, but only if the meeting could be monitored by US officials. *minders?*

Criticism of the abuse of Manning has been growing for months, and even led to the ouster of State Dept. Spokesman P.J. Crowley, who called the military‘s *forces loyal to the Obama regime?* treatment of Manning “counterproductive and stupid.”

Manning has detailed much of his own abuse in a memorandum, and his lawyer insists that some of it rises to the level of unlawful pretrial punishment. The Obama Administration has denied the charges of abuse, but with officials playing the game of denying access to international monitors (including Amnesty International) and even domestic officials (Rep. Dennis Kucinich was likewise denied access), the stance seems less than credible.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Not to be nitpicking and knowing that I will be told to go f&^$ myself, I still have to ask: Is this new thread necessary, since we already have three:

American torture leaves Bradley Manning catatonic

Tyranny American-Style: Pvt. Bradley Manning Is a Hero of Our Age

Leaking Military Secrets to the Public: Bradley Manning, American Hero

mentalfloss

Prickly Curmudgeon Smiter
Jun 28, 2010
“My request . . . is not onerous: for my part, a monitored conversation would not comply with the practices that my mandate applies in every country and detention center visited,” Mendez said in a statement Monday, noting that at least 18 countries have allowed unmonitored interviews.

What do they have to hide? Isn't this is just normal treatment and he deserves what he gets?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
What do they have to hide? Isn't this is just normal treatment and he deserves what he gets?

Since when does the bloody useless UN get to demand entrance to an American prison to pass judgement on the treatment of a vicious little weasel?????

Tell them to go insist on inspecting jails in China, or Zimbabwe, or the Sudan, or Syria, or Iran, or anyone of the 90% of nations that are MUCH worse than the USA.......

But no......

There has NOT even been a serious accusation of torture!!!!!!!!!!

First, isolation. As I've said a dozen times, let the scrawny, gay, whiny, treasonous little bastard out into the normal population of US Marines that can't follow the rules. Now THAT would not be torture, he wouldn't live long enough. Have you people never heard of protective custody????

Making him sleep naked. Hell, I sleep naked. My wife might consider it torture, but I don't. Perhaps he should quit threatening to hang himself with his shorts.

Just p[lain stupidity.

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Colpy, what's silly is that you're so worried about a "non-issue".

Either it's a non-issue and you shouldn't worry about the UN guy, like most other countries do -- count them: 18 countries. Or you have to admit that there is something they're seriously hiding.

You can't have this both ways.

What's the worst that could happen if they let an expert on TORTURE talk to him. If anything this would help relieve the U.S. of it's currently deplorable status. It would be a great relief to everyone involved that this isn't really a big deal.

What are you afraid of exactly?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Colpy, what's silly is that you're so worried about a "non-issue".

Either it's a non-issue and you shouldn't worry about the UN guy, like most other countries do -- count them: 18 countries. Or you have to admit that there is something they're seriously hiding.

You can't have this both ways.

What's the worst that could happen if they let an expert on TORTURE talk to him. If anything this would help relieve the U.S. of it's currently deplorable status. It would be a great relief to everyone involved that this isn't really a big deal.

What are you afraid of exactly?

I couldn't care less. Except that the UN complaining of a lack of co-operation is ridiculous when they do not DARE confront the worst nations on earth.....and the demand for entrance is a violation of sovereignty of the nation.

I wouldn't let anyone from the UN investigate or inspect my garage.

I mean, if you have nothing to hide........is ALWAYS the rationale of the despot.....

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
I couldn't care less. Except that the UN complaining of a lack of co-operation is ridiculous when they do not DARE confront the worst nations on earth.....and the demand for entrance is a violation of sovereignty of the nation.

I wouldn't let anyone from the UN investigate or inspect my garage.

I mean, if you have nothing to hide........is ALWAYS the rationale of the despot.....

Isn't this a standard procedure though?

mentalfloss

Jun 28, 2010
Good Lord NO!!!

LOL

I have never even heard of UN prison inspectors before..........

Well apparently the guy has done a pretty good job at exposing the U.S. waterboarding fiasco during GWB's regime. They got rid of that pretty quick under the Obama administration.

If it wasn't for him, we would still be relentlessly pouring buckets of water on people's heads, making them feel like they're drowning. Any actions to stop that sort of torture - if it exists - need to be endorsed, not prohibited.

You should be singing his praises instead of condoning this sort of secrecy.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Just to clarify, Coply, the UN has in fact criticized other countries like China. Why should the US be granted special treatment? If it has nothing to hide, then show itself better than China and let the guy in? Why should the US follow China's lead in being so secretive?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Well apparently the guy has done a pretty good job at exposing the U.S. waterboarding fiasco during GWB's regime. They got rid of that pretty quick under the Obama administration.

If it wasn't for him, we would still be relentlessly pouring buckets of water on people's heads, making them feel like they're drowning. Any actions to stop that sort of torture - if it exists - need to be endorsed, not prohibited.

You should be singing his praises instead of condoning this sort of secrecy.

You will get no argument from me about waterboarding.....it is obviously torture, and is never acceptable. I have absolutely no tolerance for torture. Full stop.

Nobody has even accused the USA of torturing Manning..........

Just to clarify, Coply, the UN has in fact criticized other countries like China. Why should the US be granted special treatment? If it has nothing to hide, then show itself better than China and let the guy in? Why should the US follow China's lead in being so secretive?

Find me a UN resolution passed against China.

Find me a serious criticism of Red China at the UN.

The United States is sovereign, and correctly resents UN interference in affairs that are absolutely none of the UN's business.

NO ONE has raised serious questions about torture with Bradley Manning.

If you have a sovereign right, or any other right, you must exercise it or lose it. The USA is simply exercising their right to tell the UN "You're being ridiculous. Piss off"

As they should.

BTW, it says denied "private access"....has it occured to anyone that NOBODY gets "private access" to a prisoner except his lawyer???

And for damned good reason.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Find me a UN resolution passed against China.
Find me one against the US...that veto power works great for both of them don't it?

Find me a serious criticism of Red China at the UN.
See above response.

The United States is sovereign, and correctly resents UN interference in affairs that are absolutely none of the UN's business.
Sovereign eh. So is Lybia, Afghanistan, Iraq and every other f*cking country on this planet but that don't stop the UN when it is the US pulling the puppet strings!

NO ONE has raised serious questions about torture with Bradley Manning.
There are questions about his treatment and the term 'torture' is among them. I have to agree, nothing to hide then it shouldn't be a problem.

If you have a sovereign right, or any other right, you must exercise it or lose it. The USA is simply exercising their right to tell the UN "You're being ridiculous. Piss off"
This obviously doesn't apply to all the other sovereign countries of the world in your little brainwashed mind, or does it?

BTW, it says denied "private access"....has it occured to anyone that NOBODY gets "private access" to a prisoner except his lawyer???
Oh yeah, go ahead and ask him about how bad we treat him while we watch and listen witha few goons in the room. Do you really have any idea of coersion and intimidation techniques?

CDNBear

Custom Troll
Sep 24, 2006
Ontario
Sovereign eh. So is Lybia, Afghanistan, Iraq and every other f*cking country on this planet but that don't stop the UN when it is the US pulling the puppet strings!?
I have one word, that will simply put that silliness to rest...

Israel.

If the US really was pulling the strings, you wouldn't hear that word uttered in the UN, let alone the most chastised by the UNHRC.

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
I have one word, that will simply put that silliness to rest...

Israel.

If the US really was pulling the strings, you wouldn't hear that word uttered in the UN, let alone the most chastised by the UNHRC.

Are you really trying to imply the US does't exert extreme influence over the UN for its own ends?

PoliticalNick

The Troll Bashing Troll
Mar 8, 2011
Edson, AB
Nope, I'm telling you it doesn't have the control you alluded to. Extreme influence, is a far cry from being an American puppet.

C'mon Bear, this is the real world.

If the US wants something from the UN, it pulls the puppet strings and gets it. :roll: