American Education

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
American schools are still ahead - Way Ahead

The perception is that American children live a relatively easy life and coast their way through school. They don't do any more homework than they have to; they spend an extraordinary amount of time playing games, socializing on the Internet, text-messaging each other; they work part time to pay for their schooling and social habits. And they party. A lot. These stereotypes worry many Americans. They believe the American education system puts the country at a great disadvantage. But this is far from true.

Much is made of the PISA test scores and rankings, but the international differences are actually quite small. Most of the U.S. ranking lags are not even statistically significant. The U.S. falls in the second rank on some measures and into the first on others. It produces more highest-performing students in science and reading than any other country does; in mathematics, it is second only to Japan.

U.S. Schools Are Still Ahead—Way Ahead - BusinessWeek

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
According to the latest survey and data, and this was on a GPS program on CNN recently
America is sixth place in science and is in fact losing its edge. In all round education they
are almost narcissistic learning about America and America first, they scarcely know where
other countries are. I know a history teacher from Colorado, the method of teaching that
subject? The student is assisting in finding their way to a proper outcome, of course that
means the American view of the world I feel the focus has been lost in America they don't
give a damn about having well rounded student they care only in filling their heads with the
essentials they want them to know. Let us not pick on Americans alone though, the whole
education system in this country needs a look see as well.

TenPenny

Hall of Fame Member
Jun 9, 2004
Location, Location
According to the latest survey and data, and this was on a GPS program on CNN recently
America is sixth place in science and is in fact losing its edge. In all round education they
are almost narcissistic learning about America and America first, they scarcely know where
other countries are. I know a history teacher from Colorado, the method of teaching that
subject? The student is assisting in finding their way to a proper outcome, of course that
means the American view of the world I feel the focus has been lost in America they don't
give a damn about having well rounded student they care only in filling their heads with the
essentials they want them to know. Let us not pick on Americans alone though, the whole

I remember when I moved from NB to Ont for Grade 3 (in the 1970s). I had to correct the teacher, who told us that Canada was the 3rd largest country in the world. She also claimed that Moncton was in Quebec. At the tender age of 9, I realized that teachers didn't necessarily know much of anything. Something that has been confirmed now that my girls are in school.

I take all of these rankings with a grain of salt.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Having popularly elected school board officials like those in Texas who decide on things like curriculum changes doesn't help.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
How many people just randomly pick a name for their school division when it comes civil election time? I have no clue about the background of the person sitting in my ward. For all I know they could be drug dealers, pedophiles or Baptists.

damngrumpy

Executive Branch Member
Mar 16, 2005
kelowna bc
The purpose of education is to learn how to learn. Where you do that is not of
paramount importance. Of course going to school is as much about social
interaction as anything else. When an entire education curriculum is determined
by a group of like minded people education in the real sense of the word is then
diminished. We have all heard about the camel and how it came about. A Camel
is a horse that was designed by a committee.
What we need is not to have conformity in the system. we need to have students
think for themselves, come to some not so correct solutions, and therefore enjoy
the experience of learning from error instead of trying to prevent them all.
I agree that some of these studies are not exactly accurate, but we are not putting
enough resourses into education. First education should be an investment rather
than an expense.
Once that happens a couple of important things might well happen. For one we will
begin to spend the tax money much differently focusing on the benefits of learning.
Like everything else the money gets spent on bureaucracy instead of students.
Secondly, education will have actual financial and time investment value.
We have to change our thinking and actually educate ourselves about how education
works, that way we will be able to act in our children's best interests.

petros

The Central Scrutinizer
Nov 21, 2008
Low Earth Orbit
Mr Grumpy you are true patriot and humanist. Educating and empowering those around you is greatest gift one person can give to another. Cost is irrelevant Vs. the benefit.

I wouldn't complain if my taxes for education were tripled as long as knew it was being used directly and effectively for the benefit educating children and adults.

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
I remember when I moved from NB to Ont for Grade 3 (in the 1970s). I had to correct the teacher, who told us that Canada was the 3rd largest country in the world. She also claimed that Moncton was in Quebec. At the tender age of 9, I realized that teachers didn't necessarily know much of anything. Something that has been confirmed now that my girls are in school.

It's all a game. People are attracted to teaching for the easy lifestyle and the 3 months a year vacation and generous pension.

Our best in society will always go into business and banking as, even though you may be working 11.5 months a year, pays a lot better than teaching.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.

In British Columbia we were taught in the 50s that Canada was the third largest country after U.S.S.R. and China. Is it now bigger than China or is it because the U.S.S.R. has been broken down to several republics? (I don't think MOncton was ever in Quebec) :lol:

Trotz

Electoral Member
May 20, 2010
Alberta
In British Columbia we were taught in the 50s that Canada was the third largest country after U.S.S.R. and China. Is it now bigger than China or is it because the U.S.S.R. has been broken down to several republics? (I don't think MOncton was ever in Quebec) :lol:

*Coughs*

I believe you are forgetting about the Fifth War of Quebecois Aggression, where the Frenchies rose up and annexed Moncton but with first glimpse of the Canadian militia, immediately pulled out their distinctive plain white flags and chanted "vive le surrender". Millions of Quebecers died in vain......

Cliffy

Standing Member
Nov 19, 2008
Nakusp, BC
The main failure of education in the west is that the system assumes the student is an empty vessel that needs to be filled. The root word of education is educo (Greek I believe) which means to bring forth the inherent brilliance within every child. Instead we fill their heads with mostly useless information. We don't teach them how to be critical thinkers, basic survival skills or how to be in relationship with their fellow humans. We don't honour their inherent genius. But then, if what the system really wants is to create mindless consumers and slaves to the monetary institutions, the system works like a hot damn.

eh1eh

Blah Blah Blah
Aug 31, 2006
Under a Lone Palm
Three unpaid months that don't pay the bills. What a great benefit.

Don't fool yourself. In Ontario at least teachers get their yearly salary in ten pay periods. This keeps going even when they are off for 2 weeks at Christmas or hanging around in the backyard for 2 months in the summer or even when they are in Florida for March break. They also get 20 paid sick days which if not used are accumulated to use at the time of retirement. Teachers here generaly recieve their salary for two or so years after retirement before their pension actually starts. Sounds quite beneficial to me.

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States

I agree, history, geography seems to all be lost in today's education. The arts, physical education are pretty much gone. I cannot see how we will be able to keep up in technology and engineering. Seems were just graduating to many with communication and general non specific liberal arts degrees.

taxslave

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 25, 2008
Vancouver Island
Three unpaid months that don't pay the bills. What a great benefit.

Teachers get paid for 12 months. They have, or at least had the option of 10 cheques or 12. That is why they are not eligible for EI during their excessive holidays. I would have to ask my x to be sure.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
Teachers get paid for 12 months. They have, or at least had the option of 10 cheques or 12. That is why they are not eligible for EI during their excessive holidays. I would have to ask my x to be sure.

That has always been my understanding and I have a couple of relatives in the teaching profession.

Cannuck

Time Out
Feb 2, 2006
Alberta

That reminds me of a teacher I had in elementary school that told us that there was no word in the English language that ended in C. For the life of me, I don't know how she taught me arithmetic. She must have used magic.

JLM

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 27, 2008
Vernon, B.C.
That reminds me of a teacher I had in elementary school that told us that there was no word in the English language that ended in C. For the life of me, I don't know how she taught me arithmetic. She must have used magic.

And was probably a cynic and not too chic. :lol: