Iraq to Pay $400 Million to US Victims of Saddam Regime

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
That's just sick!

If the US keeps going that way, an Iraqi ayatollah will become the next leader of Iraq come next election. Why blame Iraqis for the actions of their government?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
American torture victims deserve compensation.

The street should run in both directions. For the same reason, the million or so Iraq war victims, needlessly slaughtered as a result of US war crimes are also entitled to compensation.

American torture victims should receive compensation on par with the US government gave Abu Ghraib torture victims and their families.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
American torture victims deserve compensation.

The street should run in both directions. For the same reason, the million or so Iraq war victims, needlessly slaughtered as a result of US war crimes are also entitled to compensation.

American torture victims should receive compensation on par with the US government gave Abu Ghraib torture victims and their families.

Well, if it goes both ways, fair enough.

Kreskin

Doctor of Thinkology
Feb 23, 2006
US Air Force pilots should be compensated by Iraqi's on a per sortie basis for psychological trauma caused by bombing.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
lol more likely an Iranian Ayatollah. :lol:

More likely an Iraqi one. Seriously though, if you consider Iraq's majority Shi'a population, it's proximity to majority Shi'a Iran, and those two countries being the only majority Shi'a countries in the world, then it's in Iraq's interest to build bridges with Iran.

now, that said, Iraqis might still appreciate the fact that the US liberated them from Saddam and provided them with a representative system of government, and so their closer ties with Iran won't necessarily translate into more animosity towards the US, and such ties between these two countries might even help to mellow Iran's relations with the US. So I'm not saying it would be al bad.

That said, after Abu Ghraib, the destruction that occurred in Iraq under US occupation, etc. I can imagine Iraqis being pretty insulted by the US expecting them to pay up. And while it could be theoretically possible for Iraq to develop friendly ties with Iran while maintaining friendly ties with the US, if the US decides to play these kinds of dirty games, then a more likely result will be severed ties between Iraq and the US. I can't imagine the US wanting to see such severed ties while Iraq builds closer ties with Iran, a war continues in Afghanistan, and Pakistan is becoming ever more unstable.

However, if the US plays its cards right, and is wiling to befriend Iraq, then it could potentially share a mutual friend with Iran which could serve to bridge the gap between them. Either way, Iraq will build closer ties with Iran; it's already begun despite US opposition. In fact, I have to wonder if this move is intended as retaliation for that. If so, then it's to too bright, since if Iraq is forced to choose, it's guaranteed to choose Iran over the US. If the US thought this through, it would realize that the best case scenario here is to share a friend.

But as I'd mentioned even before Obama got elected, he's just a mini-Bush... or maybe even outdoing Bush?

Omicron

Privy Council
Jul 28, 2010
Vancouver
I thought this had to be a joke.

Now I'm stupefied.

Iraq should take it to the International Court of the Haig and explain in terms of International Law that damages were *already* extracted from Iraq for those transgressions by the second invasion launched by Bush-Jr. wherein hundreds of thousand of innocent Iraqi citizens were killed, and where Saddam was captured and hung.

Geez... :roll:

Just the Facts

House Member
Oct 15, 2004
SW Ontario
More likely an Iraqi one.

Yeah maybe technically Iraqi like Al Sadr but for all intents and purposes Iranian. You think Iraq has a US pupper gov't now just wait til you see what kind of Iranian puppet regime would follow. ;-)

The only thing standing in the way of Iran annexing Iraq is Saudi Arabia.

Cut to U.S. selling Saudi's 60 billion of military eqipment. :glasses7:

P.S. most of the destruction in Iraq during the U.S. "occupation" was caused by the Mujahideen. Also, the plight of Iraqi Christians I think pretty much clears up any suspicion of Iraqi's "appreciating" anything American. :smile:

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Yeah maybe technically Iraqi like Al Sadr but for all intents and purposes Iranian. You think Iraq has a US pupper gov't now just wait til you see what kind of Iranian puppet regime would follow. ;-)

The only thing standing in the way of Iran annexing Iraq is Saudi Arabia.

Cut to U.S. selling Saudi's 60 billion of military eqipment. :glasses7:

P.S. most of the destruction in Iraq during the U.S. "occupation" was caused by the Mujahideen. Also, the plight of Iraqi Christians I think pretty much clears up any suspicion of Iraqi's "appreciating" anything American. :smile:

It would be very difficult for Iran to annex Iraq for a number of reasons. For one thing, neighbouring governments would still want to protect Iraq's Sunni minority, and so even if, hypothetically speaking, Iran did annex Iraq, it would still have to treat them well just to keep neighhbouring countries from coming to their defense. Then there is the cultural issue. They they share the same majority religion. However, their languages and cultures are still different.The absolute most you could ever expect would be some kind of highly decentralized federal system, with most of the power still residing in the Iraqi and Iranian governments, with the federal government likely being nothing more than some kind of international Shi'a consultative organization. And that's if they're really lucky.

More likely by far is that they remain sovereign states but with very close and friendly ties to each other. And again, if the US plays its cards right, Iraq could maintain friendly ties with the US too. With this news though it looks like the US intends to burn its bridges instead.

And why are there still UN sanctions against iraq? What kind of liberation is this?

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Because the UN is too busy passing resolutions against Israel and working to criminalize criticism of Islam to concern itself with anything else.

And the US never brought it up? I hope there's free trade at least between the US and Iraq. If there isn't even that, then I'll really have to question US motives even more than I've been already!

Again, it's been obvious for a long time that Iraq has been courting friendlier relations with Iran, for obvious reasons, mainly cultural.

That said, you'd think the US would wake up to this to try to court friendlier relations with Iraq too. Freer trade would be a good start.

Also, assuming the US has not yet brought up trade sanctions against Iraq yet, then Canada ought to. Just because we're not fighting there does not mean we should not be standing up for Iraqis. And the moment sanctions are lifted, Canada ought to pursue free trade with Iraq ASAP so as to help Iraq's economy get back on its feet. I'd even be open to some kind of free labour-movement agreement with Iraq. This would give Iraqis a chance not only to come to Canada as tourists, students and merchants, but also as workers to gain new work experience which they could bring back to Iraq o help them to rebuild.

And though reciprocal agreements would be preferable, even unilateral openness would be a good start to build trust and friendship between the two countries and to help Iraq get back on its feet.

Albertabound

Electoral Member
Sep 2, 2006
P.S. most of the destruction in Iraq during the U.S. "occupation" was caused by the Mujahideen.

you've got to be kidding me, right.
10,000lb. bombs for 21 days staight..... highway of death.....any of this ring a bell with you compared to a number of 1975 toyota's

Plus...why ARE those sanctions in place? What a very good question.

Highball

Council Member
Jan 28, 2010
I wonder if this is a part of the US Cash on pallets that was "Lost" at the Baghdad Int'l Airport in 2005? That loot was palletized and went some where quick.