Anti_Islam protests victory for extremists?

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Do these protests put Muslims potentially at risk in America?

Muslims protest over Muhammad's Cartoons

Probably not. After all Americans are normal people, while those in these videos are not.
That link is about as accurate regarding Muslims as this video is of Canadians:
YouTube - saturday nights alright for fighting - kid rock & nickelback

Yes many Muslims thought the US had 9/11 coming. So did a lot of Vietnamese, Cambodians, Nicaraguans, El Salvadorans, Chileans... Pick a part anywhere in the world where the US fought a war or supported a dictator recently and you'll find some strong anti-American feelings. But in general most people were shocked and horrified including most Muslims. You should go visit your local mosque and try to get to know the people you fear and hate.

Mosque Finder - UK, US, Canada & Australia covered

Interesting article here:

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/08/21/world/21muslim.html?_r=1
Are these protests potentially putting Americans at risk abroad?

This is a story about Republicans manipulating religious intolerance, fear and hate into political capital.

Machjo

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 19, 2004
Ottawa, ON
Do these protests put Muslims potentially at risk in America?

Muslims protest over Muhammad's Cartoons

Probably not. After all Americans are normal people, while those in these videos are not.

I disagree. Those protesters do in fact put other Muslims at risk. There have been firebombings, beatings, and even a few murders. To take but one recent example:

BBC NEWS | Europe | German on trial for Muslim murder

So yes, just as Islamophobia puts other non-Muslims at risk, so Islamic fanatacism and Muslim prejudices against non-Muslims puts other Muslims at risk.

I remember a quote once that read 'with friends like Zionists, what Jew needs enemies'. This same sentence can be just as relevently reworded:

"With friends like the KKK, what Christian needs enemies'

or

"With friends like Al-Qa'ida, what Muslim needs enemies."

These are precisely the groups that attract the most violence towards their own people, intentionally or not.

YukonJack

Time Out
Dec 26, 2008
Winnipeg
Yes, everywhere where the United States have fought and won, and even where it has not won, have always came out better than before.

Are they better off now than they were before?

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006

Try asking a relative who had their family killed in a bombing due to mistaken identity.

People who make use of propaganda won't care if they don't capture all the context. In fact it's kind of the point not to capture all the context. Just the part which makes your message stronger.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Try asking a relative who had their family killed in a bombing due to mistaken identity.

People who make use of propaganda won't care if they don't capture all the context. In fact it's kind of the point not to capture all the context. Just the part which makes your message stronger.

Canadian Charger - Canada's national e-weekly Donate

Video of mob beating two teens to death in Sialkot enrages Pakistan | Posted | National Post

earth_as_one

Time Out
Jan 5, 2006
Yes, everywhere where the United States have fought and won, and even where it has not won, have always came out better than before.

Iraq
...the national rate of killing between April 2003 and June 2006 averaged just over 120 a day. This was double the number killed during Saddam's last two years in power. The study's figures ignored deaths from accident, disease or suicide. They estimated the civilian death toll in the occupation's first three years as 151,000....
What is the real death toll in Iraq? Jonathan Steele and Suzanne Goldenberg report | World news | The Guardian

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nicaragua_v._United_States
The Republic of Nicaragua v. The United States of America[1] was a 1986 case of the International Court of Justice (ICJ) in which the ICJ ruled in favor of Nicaragua and against the United States and awarded reparations to Nicaragua. The ICJ held that the U.S. had violated international law by supporting Contra guerrillas in their rebellion against the Nicaraguan government and by mining Nicaragua's harbors. The United States refused to participate in the proceedings after the Court rejected its argument that the ICJ lacked jurisdiction to hear the case. The U.S. later blocked enforcement of the judgment by the United Nations Security Council and thereby prevented Nicaragua from obtaining any actual compensation.[2]
http://www.thirdworldtraveler.com/Blum/Nicaragua_KH.html

Vietnam
The war exacted a huge human cost in terms of fatalities (See: Vietnam War casualties), including 3 to 4 million Vietnamese from both sides, 750,000 to one million Laotians and Cambodians,[not in citation given] and 58,159 U.S. soldiers.[23]
and so on

Last edited:

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
And today Vietnam and the U.S. are allies, strange how things get turned around. Politics does not care about the past in most cases, only what happens now.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Is this posted in the right place? I have no idea what this is supposed to address...or what it has to do with your quote of my response to Jack.
Just that we have wacko Islamists in Canada - Dats it, Dats all, folks.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Just that we have wacko Islamists in Canada - Dats it, Dats all, folks.

Ahh, because when I click on the link it brings me to a page where it asks me to donate to some e-magazine.

We have wackos of probably every flavour the human condition can muster here in Canada.

Goober

Hall of Fame Member
Jan 23, 2009
Moving
Ahh, because when I click on the link it brings me to a page where it asks me to donate to some e-magazine.

We have wackos of probably every flavour the human condition can muster here in Canada.

Yeah - it wa started by theProf, El Masry fuk up from Waterloo - He is one reason I am against Tenure. He was also the one that stated that any Israeli - any inclides civilians, children etc- was a legitimate target for reprisals -

Why is he still a Prof - That is what gets me. I end up paying the useless twit with my tax dollars.

Tonington

Hall of Fame Member
Oct 27, 2006
Sometimes peoples politics don't impact their work. Is this guy the electrical engineer?