license reporters

ironsides

Executive Branch Member
Feb 13, 2009
United States
How would this law be for every reporter wanta be?

A Michigan lawmaker wants to license reporters to ensure they’re credible and vet them for “good moral character.”
Senator Bruce Patterson is introducing legislation that will regulate reporters much like the state does with hairdressers, auto mechanics and plumbers. Patterson, who also practices constitutional law, says that the general public is being overwhelmed by an increasing number of media outlets--traditional, online and citizen generated--and an even greater amount misinformation.
“Legitimate media sources are critically important to our government,” he said.
He told FoxNews.com that some reporters covering state politics don’t know what they’re talking about and they’re working for publications he’s never heard of, so he wants to install a process that’ll help him and the general public figure out which reporters to trust.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/28/michigan-considers-law-license-journalists/

DaSleeper

Trolling Hypocrites
May 27, 2007
Northern Ontario,
The Big brother state wants to control everything and one more step for progressives to control free speech...
(There are republican progressives too)

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
I think anybody with a cell phone can/should record anything they see as being a newsworthy item, as longs as they have the words 'PRESS' someplace in plain sight when they are doing the recording. Their vid then become a salable item if they are willing to do the paperwork to show that during tax-time or they can donate their vid to a 'publisher', mainstream or alternative news outlets.

As for the 'misinformation' angle the current mass media has stated for the record that they are under no legal or moral restraints that prevents them from publishing a lie and portray it as the truth.

The public is underwhelmed by reports, there is the 'official version' which is dutifully reprinted without any investigation to determine if it is factual or fiction. Perhaps he should introduce legislation to eliminate the "official government spokesperson' and other 'unnamed sources' and replace it with actual names or not run the story at all.

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.

A Michigan lawmaker wants to license reporters to ensure they’re credible and vet them for “good moral character.”
Senator Bruce Patterson is introducing legislation that will regulate reporters much like the state does with hairdressers, auto mechanics and plumbers. Patterson, who also practices constitutional law, says that the general public is being overwhelmed by an increasing number of media outlets--traditional, online and citizen generated--and an even greater amount misinformation.
He told FoxNews.com that some reporters covering state politics don’t know what they’re talking about and they’re working for publications he’s never heard of, so he wants to install a process that’ll help him and the general public figure out which reporters to trust.

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2010/05/28/michigan-considers-law-license-journalists/

You do not have a constitutional right to play with anyone's hair, fix cars, or repair indoor plumbing.

You DO have a right to express yourself in the media.....some are lucky enough to get paid for the exercise.

Likewise, you have a right to see and read the entire spectrum of opinion, unfettered by any government filter.

Licensing of journalists would be clearly unconstitutional.

This idiot politician needs to find a new career, and his constituents need to encourage him in that pursuit come the next election.

I'm sure there are many openings in the food service industry.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
This idiot politician needs to find a new career, and his constituents need to encourage him in that pursuit come the next election.

I'm sure there are many openings in the food service industry.
Odds are he is doing this for the benefit of more important politicians.

Are you suggesting he be made into a dish to be server to politicians at some needless banquet?

Colpy

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 5, 2005
Saint John, N.B.
Odds are he is doing this for the benefit of more important politicians.

Are you suggesting he be made into a dish to be server to politicians at some needless banquet?

No, but your idea does have merits..... :)

I was thinking more along the lines of "Would you like fries with that??"

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008

What we are talking about here is freedom of the press and I have always believed in LIMITED freedom of the press. Far far too many untruthful stories get told in the name of "freedom of the press" that scare the hell out of people causing major concern where there need be none.

MHz

Time Out
Mar 16, 2007
Red Deer AB
What we are talking about here is freedom of the press and I have always believed in LIMITED freedom of the press. Far far too many untruthful stories get told in the name of "freedom of the press" that scare the hell out of people causing major concern where there need be none.
How do you balance that with 'stories' that do need a through investigation and the 'major medias' do not put any effort to doing just that. The thought of 'being caught' actually deters some from doing illegal things. In today's climate getting caught is usually swept under the rug. If that is the norm everybody should be doing it.

L Gilbert

Winterized
Nov 30, 2006
50 acres in Kootenays BC
the-brights.net

rofl So politicians want to get bureaucrats to check on reporters that have probably been through a course or two in journalism to see if they are credible?
Yeah, I can believe a politician would come up with something dopey like that.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
I think anybody with a cell phone can/should record anything they see as being a newsworthy item, as longs as they have the words 'PRESS' someplace in plain sight when they are doing the recording. Their vid then become a salable item if they are willing to do the paperwork to show that during tax-time or they can donate their vid to a 'publisher', mainstream or alternative news outlets.

As for the 'misinformation' angle the current mass media has stated for the record that they are under no legal or moral restraints that prevents them from publishing a lie and portray it as the truth.

The public is underwhelmed by reports, there is the 'official version' which is dutifully reprinted without any investigation to determine if it is factual or fiction. Perhaps he should introduce legislation to eliminate the "official government spokesperson' and other 'unnamed sources' and replace it with actual names or not run the story at all.
I so like the way you said this. I think the public is overwhelmed rather than underwhelmed though. We are all continually overwhelmed by reporters lies. I personally believe reporters are responsible for a drop in the economy, stock, gas prices and much more. One big report from one of them on any of the above items and more, can move mountains and it often flattens those "mountains" without any factual information. I believe that if they cannot back up a story with facts, they should not be allowed to print it. Even a telephone video can be a good backup. Nothing like sensationalism to cause havoc.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
How do you balance that with 'stories' that do need a through investigation and the 'major medias' do not put any effort to doing just that. The thought of 'being caught' actually deters some from doing illegal things. In today's climate getting caught is usually swept under the rug. If that is the norm everybody should be doing it.
Stories that need to be printed, need to have backup. If they don't have the proof to back them up and if they would cut the sensationalism, we would live in a better world. Sorry - I just hate reporters.

VanIsle

Always thinking
Nov 12, 2008
rofl So politicians want to get bureaucrats to check on reporters that have probably been through a course or two in journalism to see if they are credible?
Yeah, I can believe a politician would come up with something dopey like that.
A course in journalism does not make a reporter credible. Reports can and do sway what happens in the political world and outside of it.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto

If it's not true then it's slander and there are remedies for slander.

The problem with politicians is that they want to control what is said about them and I am sure if licensing of reporters does become a reality don't be surprised if there is a clause in there that states that all reporters must supply a copy of the report for approval from the politician before they can run the story.

In Canada the Conservative government have tried to muzzle the reporters with little success they even went as far as to appoint a well respected political journalist to the Senate but the Canadian press did not fall for it.

So for now the PMO goes after the Americans news outlets to give interviews.

talloola

Hall of Fame Member
Nov 14, 2006
Vancouver Island
we are overwhelmed with stories thru the media, which might
or might not be factual at all, but their competitive speed
to get to the press before their competitors is the main
priority for them, and dramatizing everything to draw
attention.

I have become rather disinterested in much of anything they
say, if it lasts long enough to finally become a real
happening in the world, worth being concerned or interested
in, then I give it my attention.

Similar to government statements concerning themselves,
not going to turn my head, they only have interests in
their own state of 'being' in office, and also their future
elections.

So, if the press does put their foot down on the media, it
is good for us, but also good for them, as they can further
hide behind their own falsehoods.

Liberalman

Senate Member
Mar 18, 2007
Toronto
A course in journalism does not make a reporter credible. Reports can and do sway what happens in the political world and outside of it.

Who
What
Where
When
This is what people want to know

Why
This is a reporter's opinion because the truth comes out much later

Because of the internet and the individual has access to thousands of news sites so they would have to make a decision on whose reputable.